“Clean, beautiful & fabulous hosts!”
Review of Greenan Lodge

Greenan Lodge
Ranked #31 of 54 Ayr B&B and Inns
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Clean, beautiful & fabulous hosts!”
Reviewed May 22, 2008

My partner and I stayed here over a weekend to attend a party which was being held in Ayrshire. Stumbled across the website when browsing the internet and thought the place looked a lot more inviting than many of the faceless 'travelodge' type hotels which were on offer in the area.

I was initially a little wary about booking when I read the one negative review on tripadvisor, but having stayed here I find that it couldn't be further from the truth!

The hosts Alan and Helen couldn't be more helpful - even running us to the party on the Friday night (we never even asked!). The room was spotless and beautifully decorated without a hint of the pink which I was expecting from the other review.

The breakfast was wonderful too - freshly prepared and not at all greasy. All local produce too which is often hard to find when get your breakfast in a hotel. I'm not sure how Helen made the grilled tomatoes which came with the breakfast but I've never tasted anything as good before or since!

My partner and I have already decided to take some time out to visit again just to get away for a weekend - the walks along the shore are heavenly!

I just wish every hotel provided the same level of hospitality when visiting - a pleasure to stay!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Redhill
Reviewed April 7, 2008

We stayed here just after easter, on the recommendation of friends who have been coming here for the last 5 years. We did not regret it! From the minute we arrived we were looked after by the hosts as if we were one of the family. Nothing was too much bother ..... including a lift to the local restaurant one rainy night!
The rooms are beautiful with many lovely touches and the one we had actually was a suite with a lovely bathroom. We slept like logs each night. The place is spotlessly clean. Breakfast was first-class and better than we have had in some posh hotels. All-in-all it was a great break for us in one of the best places we have ever stayed. Worth every one of its 4 stars...and more!!

Stayed March 2008
Leeds
Reviewed March 2, 2008

I stayed here recently with my partner for a weekend while visiting friends in the area, and I must say it is one of the best establishments we have ever stayed at.

The room was beautifully done and we slept like a log!

Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice.

We were looked after very well, and made to feel very much at home. We will be going back in the summer to play some golf and would not stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Very classy!
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Stayed here for a couple of nights when we attended a friend's wedding. The room was okay - clean but small - but the decor was vile. In fact it would be hard to imagine a more ugly combination of colours, patterns and nasty furniture.

The owner was friendly but very inflexible and would only serve breakfast at 8.30 despite our request to eat 30 minutes earlier as we had to leave for our wedding. We managed to get breakfast the day after but it was gross. Cheap fatty sausages and bacon, over-cooked eggs and thin watery beans. The hideous pink frilly theme continues in the dining room.

Credit cards aren't accepted - only cash or cheques.

Sadly this place is like most B&Bs I've been to in the UK and it's not surprising that the budget hotel chains are taking over. If only they made their environment a little more welcoming and stopped trying to save every last penny by serving inedible breakfasts, the British B&B industry would be the envy of the world.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple