“Martin's - a rare find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: International, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne
“Martin's - a rare find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was staying at The Fairfield House Hotel for three nights whilst on a golfing tour of the UK.

I arrived at the hotel by car late in the afternoon and was tired by the time I arrived. I decided to dine in the restaurant as it was on site and easily accessible.

The decor was subdued yet enticing, very well appointed and modern. Silver service with beautiful table linen, set to perfection. I later understood this restaurant has won Rosette awards, so it was no surprise to find the quality of the meal excellent.

I was so impressed with the standard and quality of the meal presented the first night, I just had to return to sample other items on the menu on the subsequent two nights. A fine dining experience on each occasion.

I tried a variety of entrees, main courses and deserts during my three nights and was delighted on each occasion. I find it very difficult to choose the best of them as they were all superb in their own way.

If really pushed, the entree of Fritto Misto was excellent, the main course of Spicy Prawn Salad, composed of chilli and ginger king prawns and accompaniments, and the dessert of champagne jelly were those which stick in my mind most.

The service is excellent, as is the spacing between courses. Portion control is very generous.

The wine list is extensive with wines drawn from all over the world. I chose French wines, the Chablis of which was excellent.

Chef Liam is to be congratulated on his work. He made my stay in Ayr, at The Fairfield House hotel, memorable for all the right reasons.

When I return to Ayr, I will certainly be choosing Martin's Bar and Grill to dine.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Marion, Indiana
“Excellent Meal; Convenient to Hotel; Wine List++”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

This modern glass restaurant is the perfect counterpoint to the old-world Fairfield House. Open, airy, and with panoramic views of the Firth of Clyde and sunset over Arron Isle. Started with the local smoked salmon with blinis, creme fraisch, and caviar-which was wonderful! I chose the aged fillet of beef, with a perfect peppercorn sauce, and finished with our favorite; sticky toffee pudding with vanilla ice cream. An absolutely delicious meal. My cousin chose a bright and refreshing white wine, from Martin's extensive wine list, and reported that it accompanied her fresh fish entree perfectly. The service was superior, and the guests were a lively mix of hotel guests, local regulars, and festive travelers. We thoroughly enjoyed our gourmet dinner at Martin's Grill, at the Fairfield House Hotel, in Ayr, Scotland!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Were we in the same restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked this restaurant based on all the previous great reviews. We started with the Indian combo which was dire, we are not comparing it with combos from Indian restaurants, it did not even come close to combos available in many supermarkets. Our mains were halibut which was tasty but the sirloin which was supposed to be medium was over done. The onion rings were cold and it did not help matters that this course was served on a cold wooden chopping board. There would have to be many changes before we would ever consider going back. Ditch the combo and the chopping boards and purchase plates and a thermometer.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Frank W
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the adjoining hotel and ate here for lunch and dinner it was excellent food if al a carte. The meat and fish used were the best quality local produce found in the area and well presented. Only problem was the price of drinks which were excessive.

• Visited March 2013
“Food excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Martins grill , fairfield tower burger. Is the best in the world. I have been in 22 countries and its the best ever. Well done for looking after the hungry traveler. Love it