“Great place to take the kids”
Review of Pirate Pete's

Pirate Pete's
Ranked #9 of 40 things to do in Ayr
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Fun come rain or shine. Massive indoor soft play, laser storm, American Diner serving massive homemade burgers, outdoor funpark and mini golf.
Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great place to take the kids”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My kids loved it and the food was very good. Loads for the kids to climb on and space to run around. Definitely would recommend.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Highlife6

Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great food, great building, great time!!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Let me start by stating that I don't normally write reviews, I am one of these 'parasites' that use sites like Trip advisor but never actually contribute anything back. However, I felt compelled to add my 'tuppence worth' after a recent visit to PP. Having read some recent 'negative' reviews on this site, I almost didn't visit the venue but after having done so, I feel only right to state that I am certainly glad I took my 2 sons along (aged 3 & 8).

Ayr is not usually one of our chosen destinations but we decided to travel down from Glasgow. Price was reasonable. The recent reviews alluded to the building being run down and the venue dirty. I have to say both remarks were, off the mark!! Being an architect, I appreciate more than most how difficult it is to maintain and service a property of this type. The last time I was in this actual building it was a nightclub called 'Hanger13', I may be showing my age, but the building certainly was NOT. I thought overall the building was extremely well-maintained, clean and the equipment inside not only varied but also of a very high standard. Yes there were a few patches on some of the attractions but this surely must be commonplace in a business such as this. Going by how busy the place was and the familiarity some of the parents had with the staff (obviously regular visitors) I would say a the slight wear & tear is a testament to the many satisfied customers that must pass through their doors on a regular basis.

I got talking to one of the owners and he told me that the building was B listed. His family have lived in Ayr for generations and he seemed genuinely proud to be the custodian of such a famous landmark. He told me they re-invest many of the profits back into the business and the building. It was great to see such an old building being used for to bring the community together and enjoyment to children. Much better than being run down or worse..........turned into flats.

If you want a value for money day out and help to keep one of Scotland's old buildings alive then I would recommend Pirate Pete's. I would just like to end by saying - "you know why they are called Pirate Pete's............they just Aaarrrggghh!!!!..........sorry, couldn't resist!!!!

PS. The home-made macaroni cheese for £5.50 was to die for!!!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank architecturalbliss
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Kids loved it - and so did I!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Down from Glasgow visiting pals in Ayrshire, who suggested Pirate Pete's for our kids (6&3). Well, the kids had a great time for best part of 2 hours - the place is ENORMOUS with loads of stuff to climb on / play on - but better still I was able to chill out with a lovely proper Italian coffee(!) and have a good blether with my pals.

Big plus points (apart from the delish coffee), were the range of things for the kids to entertain themselves with, the general cleanliness, smiley staff, and reasonable prices - we didn't eat a full meal, although a fair few other customers and families were eating and it looked good. The kids did have ice creams which were lovely and again fairly priced.

One or two comments I read on trip advisor say Pirate Pete's is expensive? You must be kidding - I've been to several play centres in Glasgow (Gambado's, Wonderland and others) and they're £1-£2 more to get into and make Pirate Pete's look like the Ritz!

Would thoroughly recommend - just over £8 for entry for our two happy kids, and 2 hours peace!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Rachael N
Ayr, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not what I expected!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Tend to use tripadvisor for checking where to and where not go; and having seen the glowing reviews Pirate Pete's has been receiving I was glad to give it a try whilst watching my 2 nephews today (they are 4 years old and 18months); however following our visit I feel it is only fair to write a review which reflects our experience today.
On arrivial, I was charged £4.50 for the 18month old and £5.50 for the 4 year old as it is the holidays, which is fair enough and I realise most attractions put their prices up during holidays but £5.50 for a 4 year old is a bit steep; however with his big brown eyes how could I disappoint the wee man.
We found a seat and off he went to play within the main play structure; and I headed into the under 2's area with the little one. In here, despite it being located next to reception we were joined by 2 older children who I would guess at being 3-4 years old and 7-8years old; they proceeded to throw the shapes etc from this area at each other and I had to ask them to be careful around the little one, which they promptly ignored. I was happy to leave the baby area anyway as the balls in the ball pool looked really dirty and whole area looked very worn, with rips in the mats under foot and patchwork jobs everywhere.
As adults are able to move around the equipment, we joined the older child and decided to order lunch before going back in to play some more. 2 kids meals £4.00 each, did I want them in a box or plated; it took 3 attempts of asking to be told that the box costs 50p more; having said that the lady who served me was very pleasent and polite but I did feel that the prices were again very expensive; and £1.90 for a bottle of coke, which I found unusual that it was served in a glass bottle; surely there is a risk of breakages. While we waited on our lunch coming we visited the under 5's area, which is a good size with a bouncy castle and a few slides into ball pools; again the whole place felt quite tired and dirty, with more patchwork on the equipment and areas where it was just ripped. The carpet in this area is filthy and looks to of suffered from a number of spills which have been left unattended.
When I looked over at our table, I noticed that our food had arrived although I was surprised that as they were not busy in the centre that we had not been at least tannoyed to inform us that our food had been served. I cannot say I was particularly impressed by the food served, the hotdog we ordered was a very strange colour and I simply removed it from the wee ones plate! My other nephew had a pizza which he seemed to enjoy, but then it did cost me £4 for 3 pizza fingers, a few chips and a cup of diluted orange, so thank goodness.
After lunch we went back to play for a while, until a group of older girls began fighting in the equipment and this went unchallenged by either parents or staff; following this we decided to leave.
All in all, the wee one had an okay time, but as an adult I there, I couldn't help feel the whole place has been let go. It doesn't look as if regular cleaning is high on the agenda, the toilets have a terrible damp smell about them, the equipment does not look well maintained with so many rips and patches everywhere. I really did feel I was being ripped off with the prices of both admission and the food and drink. Overall, having read the previous reviews and that particularly of DC, Pirate Pete's was not at all what I expected

Visited October 2013
1 Thank 185kitty78
LAURA B, Owner at Pirate Pete's, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Trip advisor reviews are all subjective, yet some are written quite unjust and detrimental to a business. We are not arrogant enough to assume we appeal to everyone and take reviews on board good or bad.
We have owned Pirate Petes for 9 years and are very hands on owners. To recieve a negative review like this is hurtful to the hard work my family, excellent management and staff put in to the running of Pirate Petes.
Yes we may have some patches on our structure, but unless you win the lottery, you need to patch before you replace. We, unlike another local establishment, thankfully have not had a fire, and so, unfortunately do not have a new structure. We do however have great staff, great food and a great all round business come rain or shine and there lies the difference. It takes, time, huge amounts of cash, and a lot of stress to run this business. We not only run a soft play, we have a busy seaside cafe, mini golf, kids funpark and Laser Storm, whilst maintaining this landmark building in Ayr, there is only so much cash in the pot so we hold our hands up, not everything is spic and span but we try very hard. We have a superb food menu, the majority of it homemade, of which prices are commensurate with other eateries, free arts and crafts and face painting (out with weekend and holidays), our structure is nearing its 10th year, so it wont "look" as fantastic as a completely new structure as the materials and colours used these days are brighter and glossier, but on our side we have a wealth of experience, and an obvious commitment, we are always improving where and when we can: Pirate Petes, Ayr Pavillion and our family life depends on it.
I'm not sure if you have your own business, but i'm guessing not, anyone who does has a more forgiving attitude as they have and understanding of the financial and emotional stress that it brings, especially in today's financial climate.
To end, I would ask all trip advisors to make your own judgement. 9 years and still 85% good reviews say it all, come and see for yourself, as some can never be pleased or have other reasons for giving a negative review. Please quote the above review to recieve 2 for 1 entry Mon-Fri until further notice. Your patronism is much appreciated.
Ps: the under 5's carpet has already been measured in order to be replaced. We have just had a deep cleaning night on Mon 7th October, so cleaning is very high on our agenda, the hotdogs can be eaten hot or cold so the "funny colour" is nothing to do with us. If a meal is enjoyed why bother mentioning it as a negative review? If you didn't like the price, why buy it then complain about the price?

The Owners
“Kids Paradise!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

With having two nephews who are 3 & 5 years old, it is hard to keep they occupied and entertained. Upon my day off or looking after them I never know what to do, I had taken them down for a walk along the beach and wondered inside to let them play for an hour or two, as Pirate Pete's is reasonable priced I did not mind paying, but when I got inside, I realised this is the best money I had ever spent!
The boys took their shoes off and off they went, in the two hours I was there I only saw them for about 5 minutes when they were thirsty, I managed to sit back and relax with a nice coffee and with Pirate Pete's being so secure I was worry free!
I will definitely recommend Pirate Pete's to those who want to relax even just for that hour!

Visited August 2013
LAURA B, Manager at Pirate Pete's, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Glad you had a great time