Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven
Western House Hotel(Ayr)(Great Value!)
$72
$67
PremierInn.com
TripAdvisor
2,295 results
All reviewsbonga wongaburger kinglive loungesoft playprestige caravanbrigs of ayrgo kartspapa johnschinese vankintyre viewspar shoproller discocrazy golfgreat holidaywater walkersclimbing wallheads of ayr farm
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I came here with my partner our son, my sister, my brother, and my 2 nieces. To start with huge que at reception on arrival, went to our chalet that we were given (booked through sun holidays) it was absolutely disgusting smelt like mould, place wasn't cleaned properly. When I went to reception to ask if I could pay to rebook into a caravan willing to pay full price obv kept being told that there was nothing which I find hard to believe! Manager wasn't very helpful either, so gave us another chalet which was slightly better not much only it didn't stink and had better carpet etc. we called reception to ask for iron which was brought hours later and charged £15 £10 deposit and £5 charge alltogether, attitude from the man delivering was disgusting! Lost our passes reception then told us that we had to pay £5 for every replacement pass which I the. Proceeded to tell them how shocking there service had been and I wasn't happy and I don't want to complain and that I want to have a nice time with my family! Won't be back! To be fair kids loved the soft play and swimming is great too

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Daniellef2019
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Arrived to check in and there was just an endless queue. On entering the caravan, the stench was terrible, we had to bring in our car air fresheners. The cleaners had not taken away the previous guests rubbish, so I gathered this up and pushed it down into the bin, contacted reception and asked someone to come and take it away. I put the bin outside the caravan and no one came to take it away.
The caravan was freezing, if you wanted heating (April in Scotland) then it was £20.00 extra for a portable heater. At no point was this explained to us, and when discussing this with reception we were advised there were no heaters left anyway. (this was Saturday morning after enduing a freezing night.)
The following morning after the seagulls and strewn all the rubbish from the bin across the grass, that's when we came across the hypodermic needles. My husband, 21 month old son or myself could easily have jagged ourselves on this. We have photographic evidence of this, and so many people have advised we should go to the papers.
We complained to reception immediately, and checked out as this was unacceptable. We met with the manager Scott, who apologised and confirmed we would receive a full refund.
3 phone calls later, we have not received the refund, or any kind of apology for our "experience". I cant believe that the staff at Craig Tara do not think this is serious issue.
I have now to write my complaint to head office, even though Craig Tara have refunded Ho seasons my money, I cant get access to it. Their refund/complaint procedure is a nightmare, and I would highly recommend staff training and customer service to the management at this resort.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank weelonie
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had booked our 4 night mid-week stay in a Deluxe Plus caravan through the Sun newspaper. We duly arrived at 2.30pm for a 3pm check-in. The reception area was full of customers trying to check-in with a 4pm time slot, the majority of these people leaving disappointed. The problem was further compounded by too many queues for not enough reception staff.

We got our keys without any other delays. On arrival at the caravan (Bay View 90) the warning signs of poor cleaning were around the caravan door, cigarette butts and a plastic chair. On opening the door the smoke smell was all too obvious. On inspection inside the caravan was clean and the beds were made up as specified, but very Spartan compared with other Haven caravans we have stayed in. There were no stools for the table so only two people could sit down at a time. The heating in the bedrooms were noisy fan types which only just worked, overall very bland and boring. There has been some cost cutting in the furniture department.

The kitchen utilises were OK apart from one saucepan which had been used for chips and was covered in burnt fat. This was replaced with a new saucepan within 30 minutes by the roaming cleaning supervisor. We also asked for the cigarette butts to be cleared but this never happened. The other item which I did not spot until the 2nd day was the oven dish this had a layer of clear vegetable oil all over. I didn’t need to use it so it was left for the cleaner / next users with a note saying it was not our fault.

The beach was disappointing with too much seaweed and rubbish on the high tide water line and towards the site sewage plant too much building rubbish dumped to protect the sewage plant.
We didn’t use any of facilities but walking around the site and entertainment complex I couldn’t find any faults. We were using the caravan as a base to explore the Ayrshire district. Port Patrick was a gem, the train to Glasgow was cheap and the parking at the station was refunded. Best of all was the ferry across to Arran.

Overall we felt that Craig Tara was a standard well Haven run site with the cleaning staff (as always) being the key members of the team with the associated variable performance.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd time with Haven.Arrived at craig tara and checking in was hastle and stress free.our caravan was clean and well maintained and but we discovered the toilet was leaking.this was fixed very quickly.the onsite facilties are extensive if a little overpriced.there is a burger king,spar,papa johns pizza,chinese food van.the entertainment is excellent if like us you have young children and they wont be stuck for anything to do.the pool is multi levelled and great.the early evenings are suited to 3 - 8 year old with the seaside squad concerts and funstars providing the fun.later in the evening the entertainment is geared for older kids and teens to adults with bingo and tribute style acts and entertainers.overall we had a great time and our 6 year old didnt want to come home.one thing that would improve the stay would be wifi/internet access in the vans instead of the patchy free wifi at the brigs of ayr restraunt or airspace softplay.i would be willing to pay extra for this as its a necessity in 2014.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank David P
Reviewed May 5, 2014

just had a great family break. The kids loved it they were busy every day and night
They loved the night time dancing with Shorna the fun star. A big thank you too her for making there holiday so good. We all had a good time the site was very clean and so was are accommodation. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family