“Great Base”

Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #2 of 8 Specialty Lodging in Ayr
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend to use as a base to visit Ayr racecourse for the Gold Cup meeting. Check in was straight forward, apartments were basic but clean and tidy. Ayr is just 5 minutes up the road and a great place to visit. All the Burn's stuff is close by and well worth a look. Evening entertainment was good on the Friday and Saturday, dire on the Sunday. Would definitely go again though.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Craig T, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and entertainment here at Craig Tara.

We are lucky to have many local attractions nearby and hope you enjoyed exploring Ayr.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having read previous reviews I was genuinely not looking forward to visiting here however we had a lovely time and if we go back again (and we probably will) then we would be doing the same again. We visited for 3 evenings in September with 2 adults and a 3 year old boy.

My wife isnt keen on caravans. On a previous break it's fair to say we were battered around quite a bit so decided on a brick roof this time! We paid a little bit extra and went for a Super Comfort 2 bedroom apartment (Ayr 101).

Check in was no problems at all, we checked in at an express desk and within 5 minutes of entering reception we were back in our car. I have to say the man who checked us in was very courteous and helpful. We found our apartment very easily and actually had a private parking space to the rear of the building.

The building which housed the 4 apartments had been renovated very recently, where as the other buildings had timber frame cascading(?) ours was very nice. The apartment itself was lovely and had been decorated very recently to a very decent standard. The dinner table had been set for us which was an added lovely touch. The apartment had digital heating throughout as well as a digital shower (digital meaning you could set the temp to a specific heat).Beds were very comfortable. You could still smell the paint in places so you could tell it had been decorated recently

It is fair to say that I have given the apartments 5 stars but the park, maybe 4 stars.

It is very dated in parts especially the swimming pool. We visited twice, on the first occasion there was one shower working on the ground level and on the second time only the bottom pool was open. The entertainment was OK but the childrens stuff was very loud (I mean shouty).

We also used the handy bus service into Ayr and spent a lovely afternoon there as well as a visit to Heads of Ayr on our first day (see report).

On the second evening we were told that the main hall would be closed for a private owners party so everything would be in the second room. We went into the room for about 10 minutes but felt very uncomfortable and my son was a bit scared.

We bought 6 activity passes online but actually only used 1, there really wasnt anything suitable for a 3 year old apart from the tandem bikes, due to the really poor weather on the Sunday and Monday most of the activities were indoors. My son loved the indoor play area to the rear of the Spar.

To save money we brought our own food, I have to say had we not done this, we would have spent a fortune.

Overall a very enjoyable break which my son loved. I know some people have been critical of the park but we really enjoyed ourselves and we will be back but only if we could get these apartments again!

Room Tip: There is a chip shop off the park and a approximate 10 minute walk
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank IanH82

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your time here at Craig Tara.

Our newly renovated apartments have been a great attention to our accommodation on the park, and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in them.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Craig Tara clearly has its critics - but our trip was generally positive and we would be happy to return.

Our caravan was well equipped and met our needs. It is great the site is close to the beach as it allows the opportunity for a nice walk or for kids to investigate what wonders of the sea have been washed up.

There's more than enough to keep children occupied at Craig Tara - but use it as a base to explore what else Ayr and the surrounding areas have to offer. Well worth doing.

The food at the site was OK at best. The Brigs at Ayr pub is typical Wetherspoons pop-it-in and ping fare. Again, take the chance, if eating out, to try one of the many better kid friendly restaurants outside Craig Tara.

Overall, a good caravan break. Think cabin fever would set in if you stayed on site for all the holiday, so best to get out and about.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank musicman1978

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at Craig Tara. We have a wide range of facilities and entertainment available, and are lucky to have a wide range of attractions within Ayrshire.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Craig Tara.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I booked a deluxe caravan that sleeps 8 paying extra because I wanted more room. I went with my mum, daughter and 5 month old son. Got keys from reception went to van to find the floor covered in dried-in muddy footprints and grass. The entire floor that is. Checks out the rooms and there are only 2 bedrooms. Go to reception to let them know this is not the van I booked I paid for one with 3 bedrooms. Receptionist checks computer and tells me I didn't, I booked a deluxe with 2 rooms. Lies. I explained my reason for booking a bigger one, the price I paid and the price of the van I had been given. She said nothing she can do about it, I would need to phone the hotline and there where no more vans available. No apology or offer to refund the £36 of a difference. I wouldn't book a Haven van again I'll now be booking a private van if I ever go again.
Park and entertainment is ok but Haven accommodation is always filthy. This reminded me why I stop going to Craig Tara years ago. Will be years before I'm there again.

Room Tip: Book privately unless you don't mind being ripped off for a filthy caravan.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Hi,

Thank you for your feeback. We always allocate the grade of holiday home indicated on your holiday confirmation letter. We always endeour to help at reception if you are unhappy with your accommodation. Regrettably on this occassion a three bedroom holiday home was not available.

We would always want to ensure your accommodation is cleaned to a very high standard for your arrival.

I would like to hope that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am writing a honest review about our holiday in Craig Tara. We booked a chalet for a Mon - Fri
stay it cost £79. Bedding was included in our chalet.

Checking in was simple and quick. We were giving our key and a map with directions. Then we headed down to our chalet. We found it within 5 mins. Upon entering the chalet we were glad to see that it was kept clean and tidy. We were happy with all equipment provided in the chalet. Downfalls to our accommodation were we were only provided with 1 pillow each and those were very paper thin. Pointless lying on them at all. And we found our mattress very firm and hard. We also found the heating in the room was not very good. And the Bathroom towel rack in the bathroom which was meant to be heated was not connected at all. Apart from that everything else was fine.

Food on the resort.
We eat at burger king, oriental wok ( it is a wee Chinese van on resort ) a bakery bit in the spar shop,pappa johns, and there chip shop on the resort. We loved the Chinese van we found it very tasty indeed. The bakery bit was great for lunch's and breakfast u could get a 10 item breakfast from there for £4.50 or a 5 item breakfast for £2.50. Which is a lot cheaper then the mash and barrel which we never eat at as prices were do dear. Pappa johns were lovely. And the chip shop on resort was very nice although a wee tip. Instead of getting the kids meals get them an adult one. As kids only get a small portion and a juice with there's and depending on what u buy. You are cheaper getting a adult supper. We found that most of our meals came in at a total of around £20-£25 for our family of 4.

The Fair
The fair was pretty basic. There was a caterpillar roller-coaster,hook a duck,a swan ride,a spinning ride,boat ride,swing ride,kids merry go round,bouncy castle ride and go kart's. Prices were £2 for one token of 12 tokens for £20 each ride cost 1 token to ride. Go karts were not included in the token those cost £5 to ride. The hubby had a shot of them and said they were not up to much.

Night time shows
We felt that the night time shows were very repetitive. Same things every night the only time anything changed was on wed as the had a rock concert and spice world. The rest was all go live stuff. Gameshows etc. Bar prices were very deer. Bongo Wongo was very hot. Thank goodness entertainment was moved to the live lounge it was much cooler in there although not as big a room as the bongo wongo room.

Kids free activities
There were a few free things run buy the team for the kids to do. Which were games and arts and crafts. And the under 5s got free football and archery. The kids enjoyed the archery and games. Although i felt the arts and crafts needed a bit more guidance as the kids had no idea what they were to do.

Spar Shop
Spar shop had all the things you would need. Prices were a bit deer for some things although the did also do some cheaper brands and items.

Soft Play
Kids really enjoyed the soft play area which is free to use.

Swimming pool
everyone enjoyed the swimming pool. was a bit cold when u first got into it but after 5 mins it was fine. It has 2 flumes and 3 slides which were all great fun to use. Downfall to the pool is the locker room's has lovely big family changing room rooms but tiny lockers . We needed to lockers on each visit. Apart from that it was fine.

We went to go bowling but prices on leaflet did not much those when we arrived same with several things on the resort.

Beach
The beach was ok a bit mucky due to seaweed but nowt much no one can do about that.

I would say overall it was a good holiday . Some things a bit pricey but would go again just need to take more money next time. We found the resort kept clean and tidy and food nice. Would just wish that the would change there night time shows a bit as ur watching the same thing over and over again. x But was ok for a wee break x

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole R

HI,

Thank you for your feedback I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the facilities available here at Craig Tara and your family had a good holiday.

Our entertainment program is changed regularly with various different acts and shows available. However I can assure you that all your comments will be taken on board for any future developments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

There was lots to do on this holiday park and our son just loved tge swimming pool. The facilities are really good. Our room however was awful. We were in an apartment which was good but covered in dog hair and it stunk of stale cigarettes. The spare quilts in the cupboard were all stained so I didn't dare look at ours yuk.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi,

Our accommodation team members work hard ensuring the accommodation is cleaned to a very high standard and providing the best service to all of our guests.

I am sorry that on this occasion your accommodation was not to the usual standard that we provide at Craig Tara.

We will always return to any accommodation or provide alternative should you still be unhappy with the accommodation you are originally allocated in. We are continuously working hard to improve the quality of accommodation we have on offer.

I am happy to hear that your family enjoyed our fantastic facilities and entertainment on offer here at Craig Tara.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

still holidaying here (90 ayr bay view) here with my 8 year old twin boys and 2 year old wee girl. they are having a ball. plenty for them to do during day with softplay,swimming, fair, crazy golf, swingpark..only negative thing i would say is the heat in the bonga wonga(entertainment at night) far too warm to stay long..xx be back next year again x

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank mummyr0cks

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, I am happy to see that you fully enjoyed our park and all the entertainment and facilities that are on offer for your family.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Guest Relations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
3 mi away
Mercure Ayr Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
#14 of 17 in Ayr
Western House Hotel

Been to Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!