“First visit”

Ranked #2 of 7 Specialty Lodging in Ayr
Wishaw, United Kingdom
“First visit”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

First visit to Craig Tara however went with friends who had already been to the site. Restaurant good and carvery on the Sunday was tasty. The caravan accommodated six but only had bedding for five and linen for four which had to be requested at reception who did supply later in the day. Would not let this put us off and will visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JohnYvonneMiller
Craig T, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hi,

Good to see you enjoyed the Carvery we have on offer and make full use of the restaurant. I am happy to see that you were sorted your bed linen with a speedy service and would like to hope we will see you again in the near future.

Assistant Holiday Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
alloa
Reviewed June 17, 2013

just back from craig tara and we all had a great time the caravan was spotless,the views were lovely ,next to the beach ,lots to do,we stopped at a supermarket for our food n drink but theres no need to worry about the spar shop prices I found the cost of food ect ok only a little more expensive than the larger supermarkets, perhaps we were at the wrong places at the wrong time but we never seen Bradley bear and his chums strange!!!! we will return

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hi

It’s good to see the fantastic time that you had here at Craig Tara and that you enjoyed every part of it. Bradley and his friends are available during the day and night, maybe they were just sleeping at the times you were wanting to see them, they do get very tired after working so hard for all of the children that love to see them.

I hope that we see your return visit in the near future and would like to thank you for your great feedback.

scotland
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed mon-fri, 11 of us in total- a mixture of adults and kids. Hoping for caravans together but this wasn't possible, although they did move us to 2 closer apartments.

After getting our keys, the first apartment had clearly had dogs in it- smelly and hair everywhere. With a dog allergy my husband decided to go back. We got moved to apartment 2.......still musky smelling and untidy- sweets and hair bands under the sofa, with hand prints and boogies on the wall next to the bed. Back to reception, we even offered to pay for an upgrade (to which we were told they were full- hard to believe when we were on apartment 3)?!? Still a little messy but smelt better, got the cleaner to give it an extra blast with the Hoover. Then when unpacking our shopping found some rolls that had clearly been left for a couple of weeks- green mould all over them. Reception were very apologetic and gave us a voucher for dinner.

Accommodation aside, the location is stunning and there is plenty to do for the kids. Pool changing facilities look new but they do need staff to give it a regular 'tidy' just to keep on top of it. The pool itself is great, good variety and kids loved it. New soft play was also great and the spar on site was reasonably priced.

We went along to toddler time one morning at 9am to be told that we were the only ones and it would be better fun for the kids if there were more- waited for the 10am class but really wish we had pushed to do the 9am- goal scoring and target throwing weren't exactly team sports and the kids ended up having to wait in line a lot!

Evening entertainment was great, again the kids loved this. A little load (adults can't talk to each other while the kids dance), but perhaps this is needed to cover the noise of the unhappy kids!

We hired the bike 'buggies' which was also a highlight for our little girl and the daddy's had a go on the go carts! Big kids. Play park was good and beach would be great had we had the weather.

Fantastic meal at the brig o'ayr very reasonable and great food.

Overall great for young kids- I prefer centre parcs for accommodation and cleanliness but you do have to pay for everything (classes, entertainment) there! If we went again we would upgrade to better accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi

I am glad to see that we were able to resolve your initial issue with ease and get your holiday to the start that you should expect.

We ensure we have a variety of activities available for all ages (Including the big kids!), giving the perfect opportunity to choose exactly what you want to do and when.

The food is also amazing and has the perfect atmosphere in the newly refurbished restaurant, offering great view onto the Ayr coastline and great choice.

I would like to hope that will return in the near future and continue to enjoy the facilities on offer at Craig Tara.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We are just back from a Mon-Fri four night break in Craig Tara. We were a party of 5, my husband and I and our 2 year old daughter, and my parents in law. We booked a "Prestige" caravan which sleeps 8, that would be a tight squeeze! Anyway, on arrival at the caravan in the "Alloway" part of the park after a simple and quick check in (earlier than advised also which was good!), we quickly realised that it was disgusting. I made a speedy visit to the Spar on site, and bought Dettol and a cloth, there were fingermarks all over the kitchen cupboards, and all over the tv. The sun shone the whole week, but unfortunately this showed up all the dust and dirt in the caravan, you could see the dust sitting thick behind the tv. My daughter was running about the floor in the living area with no shoes or socks on, and there was hair sticking to her feet, and it was not our hair, we had only just arrived! Disgusting. So we tried to clean it as best we could. The fridge was tiny too, it certainly wasnt suitable for us as a family of four with a child.

Good points however, our caravan was just a short walk to the entertainment complex, which my daughter loved! As I mentioned before we were lucky enough to have lovely weather for the entire duration of our stay, so we made full use of the park, and we had some lovely walks around the park itself. The amusements are a bit dated and expensive for what you get, but again my daughter loved them and didnt want to leave. The swimming pool was good too, a very comfortable temperature. The entertainment at night for kids was fab, Debs was a great presenter and really got the kids involved. My daughter was a bit too young for all the competitions etc, but she certainly loved dancing and she can now "gangnam style" with the best of them! We didnt make it in to the Live Lounge for the later entertainment as she needed to go to bed. The arcade was good too, we spent many pounds in there!

So overall we had a fantastic time at Craig Tara, marred only by the dirty caravan. We are considering going back later in the year for another break, and I suggested to my husband downgrading to deluxe for a cheaper price, but we are wary of doing this after our experience of a Prestige caravan. I suppose the caravan itself size wise and facility wise was fine if not very dated, it would have been more acceptable if it had been cleaned properly before we arrived. I am disappointed to notice other reviewers mention decking around their caravan, etc at Prestige level, when our caravan was, at most, basic.

All in all, a fab short break, will remember to pack my rubber gloves and bleach next time!

Hi

Thank you for your feedback, we do ensure all of our accommodation is maintained to a high standard, providing accommodation that is clean and fresh.

I can see you made full use of the amazing facilities on offer and that your daughter enjoyed her holiday, I am still trying to master the "gangnam style" dance myself and must say your daughter has done an amazing job at mastering this already.

Don't forget that you can take full advantage of a 10% discount on a second holiday, I look forward to welcoming you here later in the year for another fun filled holiday with you and your family.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

this was our 3rd visit to craig tara.first time was 4yrs ago with our tourer van with 2x 15yr olds and a 3yr old and had a not 2 bad time,entertainment, pool, eating places and staff were all ok.the 2 down side was the tourers are at the top of the hill bit of a treck when ur 8mths pregnant and shower rooms were porta cabins(now up graded) our 2nd visit was last yr on a £9.50 sun hol with kids now 2yrs & 5yrs the problem with this stay was we given what can only be discribed as a 2 story shack(chalet) arived 7pm on the friday checked in and went straight 2 chalet and soon as we opened the door there was the most unplesent smell,put up with it that night so reception was then closed.went up first thing to be told there was no where thay could move us 2 however thay did there best and did send someone in and freshen it up.the staff on this visit were gr8 so friendly all over the park.
this visit total disappointment.again we were on a sun hol got checked in fine however we've been given a shack location Sanquar no 1 got 2 the chalet to find the key would not open the door phoned up 2 reception 2 say we had a problem to be told "thay were very bizzy andno 1 could go down and asked would we go up" went up and given another key(this worked)
on entry there's a bit of a niff but ok with windows open did find what the smell way when the cushion came off the sofa to be covered with dog hairs found under neath ,once unpacked realised no bulb in the lamp in kids room borrowed 1 from double room,light not working in kitchen area this not a prob realy as there are 2 other lights and the fridge not working properly. around 6.30 went to reception and reported this.on return someone had been in and looked at however still not right and the only reason we new someone had been in was lino had a hole in it.sat morning we went to the pool had a gr8 2hrs splashing about then went to wash in the showers 2 find them ice cold could not put kids neer them, then ehen we went to get changed people every ehere not enough changing areas when we did finanly get 1 the floor was that wet and dirty it was a task sayed our views at the desk on the way out but i felt this fell on deaf ears.sat night eat at the complex sorry change that went to the complex and spent £40 over on kids fishfingers/tattie wadges,kids macaroni,surf & turf, a gourmet chicken burger,2 kids icecreams,1pint cider,1 glass wine and 2 apple juice,all the food was mushy and taste less.spoke to the manager to be told that "he had no complaints regards the food" for all that i herd him speaking to 2 other tables who were making tha same coments regards there food.i will say that the 2 girls who were having to serve the food on there own did a great job.
we did visit the entertainment but found it tacky and dated.
over the weekend most of the staff we had contact with be it at the entertainment,security,pool staff and arcade staff were not very friendly or helpful thay seemed to be there only for a job.
for all there has been some facial changes in the complex this is not enough and we wont be running back.

1 Thank littlenought
Hi

I am glad to see that you were able to make full use of the fantastic pool facilities we have on offer, we have recently refurbished the shower facilities and are looking to continue with this refurbishment for future enjoyment of our guests.

The restaurant was part of our ongoing investment this year with the introduction of a wide variety of choice and convenience available day and evening, I would like to thank you for the comments made about the team as they do work extremely hard and I will ensure this is passed back to the team in question.

The entertainment program is based on new ideas and feedback from our guests, this feedback gives us the opportunity to continually change and create new entertainment for all, again I will ensure you feedback is considered for future developments. We have seen a big change in the entertainment we offer and long may these great changes continue.

I would like to see you return to Craig Tara in the near future and continue to enjoy the fantastic facilities on offer.

Assistant Holiday Experience Manager

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just returned from a family holiday at craig tara. When we got to our caravan we were surprised to see how small it was. we had payed for a superior caravan but I could only describe it as standard. the beds were made up for us, but the dishes were not that clean. there were bean stains on some bowls and forks. we spoke to a family a couple of caravans away and they were in a superior also. there caravan was bigger than ours, as ours was quite small. I went to complain only to be told that next time I should book a bigger caravan. The kids loved it though, the swimming pool was great and the evening entertainment was ok.. some of the jokes were more for adults than children, The arcade is a money zone. I don't want to know how much money I spent in there. The 2p machines were not working properly, some of the games you played won tickets but not payed out in full. The beech was a mega letdown. We got all packed up with buckets and spades the lot, took the kids on the 4 minute walk only to find a not very nice beech. we went into ayr the next day and the beech there was perfect. play park beside it , the kids loved it...You should bring alot of money if you want to take the kids to the "fun fair" as its tokens only for rides and tokens are £2 each..there is about 10 to choose from and im sure your kids will want to go on them all. on a plus side the kids clubs are good in the bonga wonga, at 11am they can go there and the shop is closed thankfully, but again you have to go through the arcade so will end up costing you money. we went down about half 7 every night and the gift shop was open, I would suggest you take out an overdraft before you visit here as everything is very expensive. also if you want to go wall climbing,karting,water zorbing or anything else that the kids might want to do it costs extra. I did have a good week but spent the guts of £800 on site (including food etc..) was a good holiday but I think i have giving you some things to think about. Also long ques in the shop and bar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Craig T, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi

We do offer many grades of accommodation ranging from the clean and tidy to the more luxurious and spacious; the layouts of accommodation will also vary between make and model.

We do have easy access to the beach from the park and a short walk will bring you to a castle ruins with great views towards Ayr and beyond.

I am glad you were able to make full use of the facilities and your children enjoyed the many activities available to them

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2013

beautiful place put staffing hygiene,service, was absolutely terrible was constantly handed dirty dishes at restaurant where we spent a lot and waited an hour for dessert got orders mixed up alot drinks where watered down glasses were stinking found a pea in one and brought it back up and asked for a clean one they just poured the pea and the dink back into another glass and handed it to me and tried to push me off wouldn't accept a passport as i.d because it was a month out of date but had d.o.b on it arcade machines would turn off in the middle of playing them, bring a lot of money because place is very dear nothing on but the lounge after about 6 so need own entertainment no air conditioning in any of the clubs they where like sweat boxes woken up a few nights due to rioting woke up every morning a 7 bv a barking dog or screaming child. denied £80 on bingo because bingo called pretended not to hear us even though the whole club was calling out to him closed the curtains on my face totally ignorant and was humiliated terrible place. totally disappointed

1 Thank Decky C
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

I am sorry that everything was not as you were expecting, we do provide fantastic service to all of our guests and I am disappointed you could not take full advantage of this.

We do actively ID people to ensure we serve only the people that should be and should you be lucky enough to look under age then all of our team would ensure this is done every time.

The team at Craig Tara would like to see you return to ensure you can experience the truly magnificent service that we offer.