“Haven has went down hill”

Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #2 of 7 Specialty Lodging in Ayr
“Haven has went down hill”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We go. 2 haven. Sites a fair bit was there.in march and r goin 2 craig tara in september again but im afraid this might be the last yr for. Goin 2 haven apart from seton sands it was good but I feel the service and entertainment at haven is shockin theu employ these fun stars who no doubt hard workin guys but they shed ouldn't be used for adult entertainment as there singing and dancing is dreadful most of them cant sing a note we've walked out many a nite I dont drink they charge around 1.30 for a can of irn bru which u can buy 3 for less at the pound shop so haven I wont pay this its a total rip off im afraid haven r doin entertainment on the cheap and only intrested in profit I tk my dog 2 and im charged 40 quid for the privelge I have 2 say she makes less mess than a couple of kids would its shockin haven u need to look at what u charge for pets im now goin tp park dean and resorts were the entertainment is far better and caravans r 100 quid cheaper to hire I feel haven spend all there money on butlins it seems better there. If haven dont sort this out loyal clients like s will go elsewhere

• Stayed March 2013
Adam W, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your comments about your March holiday. I am sorry you feel the product is not as great as you have previously experienced.

We change our products for variance for guests but do not allow the standards to drop. We are investing a lot of time and money in to the service aspect of our business to continue being the best UK holiday provider. I am sorry to hear you do not like our entertainment performances. We always strive to improve for holiday makers and hope you do enjoy your September break.

If you would like to give me a call with your reference number, please call me on 01292 265141.

Holiday Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Paisley, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Every year we go to a caravan site and we used to go to Craig Tara in Ayr until about 3 years ago when we have tried other sites for a change. This year we went back really excited as we had heard it has been updated and now includes more activities. What have they done? The caravan had only the fire in the living room and was freezing during the night, I did not think that there was still caravans like that now and I think all caravans should have some form of heating in the rooms as standard! We used to sit down and go through the whats on brochure having to pick our favourite things for the kids and missing out on some things due to the sheer amount that was on, well no longer! Bradley and Rory club is now on at 11am every day and that is it! The rest of the day is full of their new go active (ranging from £6-£10 a session for various sports) and the evening is now called go live with no hint of Bradley or Rory anywhere! Had to think of places to go every day to keep the kids amused all costing more and more money. Why did I pay for entertainment passes when there is nothing for the kids? In the go active zone there is free soft play for the kids but I would never have put my 3 year old in there as it seemed more like the fight zone for young teenagers. My husband had to shout and was close to having to physically remove 2 large boys that were full on hitting a younger child. The drinks at the bar were far too expensive, I asked can I have the 4 pint pitcher to be told they have no offers any more, so 2 pints of lager cost nearly £8!! I really wish I had more positive things to say as I always loved this Haven, wait I know the staff were all very friendly but sorry that's it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Anne M
Hi Anne,

Thank you for your feedback from a recent break with us. We change the entertainment program each year for our visiting guests. The package still offers daytime and evening activities with the character involvement. I am sorry you felt this break was not as enjoyable as previous holidays. The feedback has been passed to Sarah our entertainments manager.

With recent investments, we have seen the introduction of the airspace sports complex. This does offer lots of activities and some of these are chargeable. We still offer the usual activities such as Football and highland games, free for guests.

Please accept my apologies for the upset caused.

Holiday Experience Manager

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Reviewed May 13, 2013

stayed here on fri-mon with the sun holidays, and we had booked months in advance, but everyone who booked with the sun holidays, got shoved in a disgusting damp black chalets not what we wanted, they were horrible with dirty sheets, dirty everything the whole place need a total revamp, so spoke to customer service, and nothing they could do, said if we where that bothered we could just go home, I would never stay here again even if it was free, and the passes only cover you for the pool and entertainment, and we couldn't get in to the entertainment all weekend cause it was mobbed, SO BEWARE FOLKS IF YOU'RE BOOKING HERE

3 Thank beanie124
Hi

I'm very sorry to read you did not enjoy your holiday. Making a booking through any channel, sun, travel agent or direct with Haven, means we look after all holiday makers with the same standard. All accommodation should be clean and comfortable for all holiday makers.

If we do fall short with aspects of a holiday makers break, we certainly do everything within our power to help make it more comfortable and overall enjoyable. I am sorry we were not able to move you in to alternative accommodation and certainly trust the team rectified any issues you reported with us.

I do hope you accept my deepest apologies and would give us another chance one day in the future. If I can be of any further assistance, please give me a call.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from craig tara, Monday to Friday break. On arrival we had to queue outside for key collection as place was so busy. After waiting 25/30 mins we received keys from lovely girl on reception. Our caravan was ayr bay view, 10 minute walk from facilities but suited us as had children and nice and quiet at this part of camp site. Caravan was clean and comfortable.
Lovely beach and great swing park for children. New softplay open which is free for kids to use while adults can browse the net with free wifi. Took kids to funfair, £20 for 12 tokens or £2 each. 1 token per ride. Can work out expensive if you have a few kids with you. Didn't use any eating facilities as we took all our own food with us.
During the week only one venue is open for entertainment, bonga wongas. Fun for the kids, but extremely warm inside. Go early to get a seat as really busy. Drink prices expensive but expect this on holiday. We had a great time and will defo be returning.

Hi,

Thank you for the great review. Its brilliant to read you and the family had a fun holiday.

We are investing a lot of effort and money in to the facilities and services we can offer to holiday makers. Great to see you are taking full advantage of the changes we are introducing.

I am delighted to read you will be returning back to us. When you book, please ask for your holiday accommodation to be in a quiet location like Bay View. We will try our hardest to get you in a quiet location again.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

So glad we had an upgrade. We paid £100 for 4 adults including all passes, electricity, gas, All beds were made up and we stayed Mon-Fri. I recieved a phonecall a few days before our visit from a lovely lady who answered any questions and confirmed our reservation. The reception staff were really friendly and quick and efficient. The caravan had heating and warmed up quickly. We had a 3 bed, 2 bathroom van that slept 8. Clean and tidy with everything you would need to use the van as a base for a holiday. We did not get around to using the pool as it opened late and closed early, and we were off the camp each day. We did have food in the Mash and Barrel. Very friendly, not too expensive, good menu. One night we had chinese from the van. Lovely! really tasty and hot. Good value. It would be a park that I would recomend for families with young children as everything seemed geared towards them. But for us, it was a perfect base camp to explore the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: We were in Carrick village, van number 5. Good location to be able to walk to the facilities and in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank thorpeclan
Hi

Thank you for your review of Craig Tara Holiday Park. It certainly seems you have had a brilliant holiday with us. You will need to come back to Craig Tara so you and the party can also enjoy the swimming pool. Adults can be kids again and use the flumes.

It is great to see you loved the caravan and the menu selection in the Brigs of Ayr restaurant. I hope to see you all back for another stay with us very soon.

Methil, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with our 20 month old son for 4 nights. We stayed in a deluxe caravan which sleeps up to 6 (although this would be very cramped) This was our 1st caravan holiday in years so were a little anxious as to what to expect. On arrival the staff at the reception were friendly enough and our accommodation was ready even though we were an hour early, bonus. Our caravan was a short drive from the base of the camp where the entertainment, amusements restaurant etc were. The caravan was 5*, we certainly wouldn't hesitate staying there again. There is a nice play park for the kids and a fantastic beach right on the doorstep. Now for the not so good points. The main part of the park has just had a new restaurant built, a bit like a wotherspoons etc and although the food was good it could turn into quite an expensive holiday if eating out each night. ( we drove into Ayr and done a shop in morrisons) The amusement arcade is very dated and apart from a few small merry go rounds not much there for kids under 5. There is a Spar on site but again charge more than normal as a lot of people have no choice but to pay it. The adult entertainment starts at 10pm and having a young child we found this too late. The pool is nice enough although not all parts are open (no slides in operation while we were there) Next to the Spar there is a newly built complex open which is really nice. It had indoor courts for basketball etc, a climbing wall and a fab soft play area for the kids. But beware.... We went one night around 7:30pm to give our one last run around before bed to find around 10-12 kids aged around 11-13 years running wild while the staff there sat on the desk gossiping. On questioning them as to wether it was a supervised play area i was told 'its parental supervision' but when i asked where the parents of the older lids were I got the response 'they don't need to be here' So, it's a parental supervision children's play area but the parents aren't required to be there!! Work that out. This experience along with the pool not open to its full potential and the dated arcade are my only complaints. We made this a good holiday out of what was on offer. Would consider returning once my son is slightly older.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank AlanMc74
Adam W, Manager at Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Hi Alan,

Thank you for reviewing our site after your family holiday.

I am delighted to read you did have a good holiday with us. Brilliant to see you had a nice start to the holiday with your accommodation being ready early and being the 5* accommodation you and the family wanted.

I appreciate your comments about the pool and soft play area. Feedback from valued guests such as yourself, allows us to make changes in our business. I am speaking with the Sports and Leisure management who will feedback to their team and continue making the necessary changes.

I hope to see you and the family back to us for another holiday in the coming years. When your son is a little older, he will be able to fully enjoy the facilities and entertainment.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

This was the first we had stayed at Craig Tara and I was generally unimpressed. On the website they make it sound amazing which isn't true! I shall start with the good things...
1-lots of things for children
2-great food places-Burger king, papa John and a lovely restraunt.
Now for the bad...
1-tiny caravans
2- some undesirables
3-terrible service
4-noisy from 7pm till 7am
5- unclean
But overall my children loved it and I am in peace of mind as long as they are safe!

1 Thank mmjm123
Hi,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent break with us. I am sorry to see more negative points than the positive. We pride ourselves on having a great park with great service and facilities.

This starts with the accommodation. We do offer 6 different grades of accommodation with some of these offering larger sized caravans. If the area you were in was noisy, please feel free to contact any of the Haven sites before travelling and requesting a quieter area. We can do this for you and minimise you and the family being disturbed.

If you were to return to Craig Tara, I would ask for you to call myself or one of my management team to discuss what we can do to make a future visit more enjoyable.