“Perfect weekend all around”

The Burnside Guest House
Ranked #11 of 61 Ayr B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Perfect weekend all around”
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Do not stay anywhere else in Ayr. For so many reasons, stay at the Burnside! First, location. One street from the beach and ocean - the seagulls chirping ..you know you are near the ocean. From the B&B, we walked all over Ayr, to the auld brig, to the main streets, to dinner and restaurants, to the Old Tower. Don't worry, parking is provided with a parking permit from Liz. From Ayr, it is easy to Alloway, Maybole and beyond! Oh, also very close to the bus station.

Next is the B&B itself. Liz is a top-notch proprietress! The rooms and decor reflect her gracious taste and this is not just a B&B - she welcomes you to her HOME. The house itself has a family history for generations. The features of the house are much of the original, even with the well-appointed changes into a B&B. All rooms have their own bath, either en-suite or next door. (No shared bathrooms that I saw.) The beds are firm, I slept wonderfully! The linens clean, crisp and high quality. The B&B was fully occupied and I only heard the other folks if they spoke in the hallways or stairwell.

Liz keeps a small library of DVDs and books of history of the area. Brilliant. Each room has a flat screen TV and DVD integrated - we were on a long weekend and even took an evening of a movie in our room! It was so relaxing.

When we arrived, Liz gave us a pot of coffee and a great chat, to know what we may need to do, and offered to make any restaurant reservations, as well as giving us 'in the know' local info on places to go and places to eat. (All were spot on.) Tea, coffee and shortbreads were in the room, and sure enough, a mint choc on the bed.

Liz cared enough about her guests and B&B to be trained by a chef for breakfasts! We loved that we were asked what we wanted, unlike other B&Bs who plop down a full Scottish breakfast whether you want one or not. Cereals, toast, fresh fruit and a hot breakfast were all offered. It felt like we were at a luxury hotel, sitting at her antique tables and lovely artwork. And best, no complaint for breakfasts until 9:30 AM. We've been in B&Bs where breakfast 'ended' by much earlier.

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed our whole trip. We had a double room on the top floor - sunset over Arran was spectacular!

Liz arranged for Robert Burns (Donald Kay) to come for breakfast and we so enjoyed his company. If you can't arrange it at the B&B for a breakfast with Rabbie, then do look into his walking tours around Burns country. Well worth the experience!!!

Stay at Burnside. Yes, there are tons of B&Bs in Ayr, but Liz does everything effortlessly, and you will feel at home. We will be back and have already told our friends as well. I take care to stay at B&Bs around the world, and have been in Scotland over a year, travelling and staying at B&Bs where possible, and I have now found my most enjoyable B&B in Burnside for all the UK.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Our stay at The Burnside was truly the highlight of a 10 day journey abroad. I trusted the tripadvisor's many glowing reviews in booking at the Burnside. We were not disappointed. The facilities are historic, well located, quaint and cozy. The furnishings were tasteful and beautiful. The beds were like sleeping in a den of soft warmth. Liz's breakfasts were incredible. I highly recommend her haggis from the local butcher, scrumptious! But, beyond the wonderful facilities, Liz is truly the most incredible hostess we've ever experienced. She went above and beyond in her service to help us feel at home and cared for. Her friendly demeanor and genuine concern about her patrons makes Liz the true gem of Ayr and The Burnside Guest House. Oh yes, request Room #5 - Lovely view of the Isle of Arran.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank normalisrelative
Bellshill, Scotland
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Thank you very much Liz for a brilliant weekend we had, sorry you could not be there with us but Allison and her helper looked after us very well. Hopefully get back down again soon.

Iain, Andrea, Victoria & Iain (jnr) Cochrane

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
London
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I found this guest house by coincidence, and I must say that its a little gem. I'm a traveller and stayed in countless hotels and hostels around the world and this place is probably one of the nicest ones I had the pleasure to stay at. I will definitely come back and recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to visit Ayrshire. Thank you for the enjoyable stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Stirlin
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I've stayed at the Burnside three times and intend going back again this year, next year and every year while I'm fit enough to handle my bike (I'm not giving my age away!) I dropped on the Burnside by chance when I tried to get in somewhere else and I'm delighted.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
London
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This was my second stay at the Burnside, I wouldn't even consider looking elsewhere if I could not stay here I would rather change my trip dates . Rooms amazing, the breakfast amazing, location amazing, the list goes on.... Liz you are fantastic and I look forward to coming back soon. A perfect Home from Home

• Stayed January 2010
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed December 5, 2009

The Burnside was very comfortable, quiet, and in an excellent location. Liz was a wonderful, kind hostess - made hot toddy's for my friend and I who were stricken with a bit of a cold while traveling; they were superb along with the breakfasts Liz made each morning. I was in Ayr to see where my grandfather was born and raised and enjoyed the town and countryside. This B&B was close to the ocean and to the old town - easy walking. Highly recommend The Burnside to anyone traveling to Ayr.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends