“Gluten Free Breakfast with Liz was delightful!”

The Burnside Guest House
Ranked #7 of 54 Ayr B&B and Inns
“Gluten Free Breakfast with Liz was delightful!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Burnside Guest House earlier this month and it's certainly on my list to visit it again. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and cozy. The highlight for us was spending time chatting with Liz to get her advice about spending time in Ayr. When we arrived in the evening, we let Liz know that two of us cannot eat gluten. By the time we had breakfast, she had made us a delicious gluten free breakfast that is one of the best we've had. I highly recommend this great bed and breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Glasgow
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here Fri-Sun with my finacee.

The room was very clean with everything you would need and expect from a BnB and a little more - TV with Freeview & DVD with some films, kettle, coffee and tea, iron, toiletries, free wifi, some magazines and local guides.

As for breakfast, the selection was just as fantastic as the food - full Scottish first morning, salmon and scrambled eggs the next. Also included cereals, fruit, toast, rolls, tea and coffee, orange juice. A bit of feast actuallly to kick start the day.

Liz was very helpful and accomodating. Thanks very much!

Graeme & Suzie

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BONNIE SCOTLAND
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have now stayed overnight at the Burnside twice over the past couple of months when going to a local theatre to avoid travelling home late at night. I believe that this is, by far, one of the best places I have stayed in for many years. Prior to retirement I used to travel around the UK with my job for many years and have stayed in all sorts of hotels, guest houses, travelodges etc and, for me, the Burnside stands out.

It is exceptional value for money with a very comfortable, spotlessly clean and well furnished room - unlike many of the "broom cupboards" dished out to us solo travellers on many occasions, sometimes in spite of demanding a single supplement!. The breakfast was superb and there was even "proper" coffee - not the more common coloured water masquerading in a coffee pot!. I have just come back from a short break in Cornwall in a 3 star hotel and, believe me, the standards at the Burnside were head and shoulders above that hotel.

Liz is an excellent host and very helpful and I am looking forward to staying there again is a couple of weeks time when I go to another show in Ayr. I will have no hesitation in staying there for any future visits to the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was fortunate enough to spend a night here last weekend, whilst visiting Ayr for a wedding. I arrived early, but was still welcomed in whilst my room was being prepared. Liz couldn't be more helpful. She gave me a hand-drawn map of how to find the church I was headed for, then helped me to move my motorcycle into the car port at the back of the building. The car-port is a great and secure place to leave a motorbike which keeps the 'pride and joy' out of harm's way. I was staying in the little single room which was nicely appointed and with a very comfy bed! There's a modern little en-suite bathroom. Two things stand out for me: 1. Liz's patience with a muppet like me who had to keep changing plans because of working commitments and, 2. The fact that Liz is just hands-on enough to make you feel really well looked after. She is a superlative host and, should I ever need to stay in Ayr again, this is where I'll head.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
lanarkshire scotland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

stayed here for an overnight Saturday 2nd March. the guest house is run by Liz, who is a wonderful host. on arrival we were shown to room 3, which is a large and beautiful room with high ceiling, and plenty of character, shiny large ensuite shower room complete with fluffy towels, bathrobes, and complimentry toiletries. we ordered breakfast evening before, no problem, it was most enjoyable and tasty. we have been to ayr many times, usually staying at hotels, but i much preferred The Burnside, and will definitely go back. the zip and link king size bed was one of the most comfy i have slept in. we ate dinner at Mr Basrais Indian Buffet in the town, and at £14 a head , the food was quality and hot. had a restful nights sleep, which is always a bonus for me, as i am a light sleeper, fabulous !!! Can't praise this accommodation highly enough, thanks Liz

Room Tip: We liked room 3, which is a superior double or family room, on the first floor, front facing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank midgetgem2
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed with Liz many times and always find her warm and welcoming. Recently I enjoyed Liz's latest edition to the breakfast menu; " pancakes and honeyed fruits". Absolutely yummy!

We are looking forward to going back again soon.
J & K

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wirral
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Returning to the Burnside was, as always like coming home! As usual Liz, Alison and Gwen made me feel very special by always going the "extra mile"! I missed my stay last year but this time made up for it.
In my book this is THE place to stay in Aryshire, and no one could ask for more. I didn't think it was possible to make the Burnside better than before, but Liz has. I've been coming since shortly after it opened and as long as I can make the journey I'll be back.
Watch out Liz, " I'll be back"!

Room Tip: Number 5 at the top of the house gives sea views out towards Arran, lovely room to watch sunsets in...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo