“Wow great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Brig O Doon Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ayr
Brig O Doon Hotel
Ranked #17 of 61 Ayr B&B and Inns
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Wow great hotel!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here one night after our friends' wedding and the whole day was brilliant. With great views over the famous bridge and wonderful food and service and the amazing. The room was incredible - I wished we had stayed longer so I could have had a bath!

Room Tip: We stayed in number 5
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
limerick
Reviewed December 31, 2012

stayed at twice at brig a doon twice during stay in september and on both occasions was wonderful and brilliant service. Can't wait to return it was the highlight of our trip to scotland. The welcome room and food really good especially on our second stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sue p
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I would echo most of the reviews below. We booked the restaurant (the Witchery section within the restaurant which is far more atmospheric) for my mother's birthday. The party consisted 4 adults and two children. We were there on a Tuesday evening and the restaurant was quiet (4 or 5 tables filled).

Overall, all of the food was excellent. We tried a number of starters including Ham Hough finger, pate annd soup of the day. Mains included venison casserole, rib eye steak and calf's liver. All the food was excellent, generous portions and well cooked. The children's menu should be commended for lifting its head above the usual fare.

However, given the relative cost of the meals and the manner in which the hotel markets itself service could have been better. Front of house/reception cannot be faulted. However, items were forgotten (sides and coffee's), the arrival of food was intermittent. My daughter ordered soup as a starter but no bread came with it and we had to ask for another slice. Soup (in my opinion) should always be served with bread. Waiter's/waitresses were approachable and friendly but appear very young and undertrained to me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We picked this hotel as we were on a whistle stop tour of Scotland, we wanted some attraction to look at while we were passing through.

The Brig O Doon hotel was more than we had expected. We had a suite which was just absolutely fab, it was spacious and the decor was excellent. We stayed overnight which was really inexpensive for bed and breakfast.

To get to the dining room you went down marble steps with wrought iron balustrade which led into a romantically dimly lit restaurant. The decor was all dark and mysterious, very romantic setting and the food was delicious.

The story of Brig O Doon was depicted on the walls. Outside the garden and surrounding area was well maintained. The hotel was well situated for Robert Burns birthplace. The Robert Burns museum, garden and poets path which leads to his cottage are all in walking distance and is a must to see.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at the Brig O Doon Hotel for dinner, bed and breakfast and we had a fantastic stay.

There was a charity ball taking place the evening of our stay - although we were not attending the ball this did not stop the staff being very attentive and making us feel most welcome - they made us feel that we were just part of the family. The room was gorgeous - very spacious and traditionally decorated - the bathroom was enormous with a separate bath and an amazing shower. The dinner on the evening of arrival was fantastic and the staff very friendly and attentive without being in your face.

We enjoyed our stay so much we have booked again for the end of January.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Great fish n chips. Had to wait 45 mins outside but worth it. Would recommend the monkfish or scampi. Staff ok but fryer on the ball well done. The setting is great and we love to watch the seals in the harbour as we wait

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Carnmoney, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My mum and I stayed in Ayr for 2 nights at the end of September, courtesy of my dad who booked it as a surprise for us. We stayed at the gorgeous Appin House B&B, seriously 5* interior design - stunning house and wonderfully genuine and welcoming hosts. My dad bought us a dinner voucher for the Brig O'Doon House Hotel. He and my mum had been before, but it was the first time for me, and I was keen to experience a dinner there in 'The Witchery'. We arrived on a Friday evening, quite early, around 7pm. The restaurant was not busy at this stage, just several couples sitting at tables. We were given menus and offered some fresh artisan bread (1 slice each - 2 would have been a treat). The main menu they gave us hadn't a single vegetarian main. I asked for vegetarian options and the girl was not sure, so she called a young male over. He went and found a vegetarian menu. This was very limited, due to several unexciting options. It was a birthday dinner, so I wanted a nice meal, not a melon salad.
We ordered a jug of juice, and the Leek and Potato soup to start. This was delicious, so tasty. But served without bread, because we had already been given our slice when we arrived. In a restaurant, soup without bread is a bit depressing. Following this, we ordered the mains. My mum got the salmon, I had a roast tomato and goats cheese puff pastry dish. We also ordered a side of mixed vegetables and creamed potatoes.
We waited a long time, and then the 2 main meals arrived and we were bid an 'enjoy your meal' before the waitress disappeared. But where were the vegetables and creamed mash? We waited to get the attention of a worker, finally the thin brunette girl who took our orders (she had not written down the 2 sides at the time of order) appeared, and we asked her about the sides. She said "Oh, you want your sides, that's fine". Well yes, of course we want them - quite clearly she had forgotten to tell the chef about them. No apologies. So we waited another 10 minutes, our mains getting cold. A male brought the side dishes, no offer of heating the main meals. We ate. The creamed mash was lovely. After our mains we were asked would we like a dessert. I opted for a hot chocolate instead. My mum ordered a pot of tea and some kind of apple crumble tart. My hot chocolate came. The apple tart came. But no tea. We waited. A waiter eventually appeared. I asked about the tea. Once again, it had been forgotten. Oh dear....the restaurant wasn't even busy so there was no excuse! The tea came, it was drunk. And we were finished. The bill was £45. Steep indeed, especially for such mediocre service. The Witchery itself was cosy, and the reception area was welcoming. The middle-aged lady on reception was very pleasant, but the waiting staff in the restaurant had their heads in the clouds. The next morning we spent the remaining £5 voucher in the Brig O'Doon tea shop which overlooks the river. 2 teas, a brownie and a caramel shortbread....£8.50ish!!!! Ridiculous!
Would I rush back? No.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MayFairQueenBaby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
Fairfield House Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 18 in Ayr
Premier Inn Ayr A77/Racecourse Hotel
Hotel Kylestrome Bar & Grill
Lochgreen House Hotel

Been to Brig O Doon Hotel? Share your experiences!