Western House Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewscourtyard roommain buildingjockey clubayr racecourserace coursewedding guestswedding meallovely hotelfirst classwedding receptionhot chocolateevery member of stafflittle extrashuge bedchecking outwould highly recommend this hotelattending a wedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed here for one night as we were attending a friend's wedding in the hotel. The hotel had special rates for guests, but as the main hotel rooms were all allocated to family of the bride & groom, we were in the Courtyard rooms, a wet & windy walk across the car park. From the outside, this building is nothing to look at, and is quite off-putting if I am honest. However, the actual rooms are very spacious (room for our large double, and an additional single for our young son)

The main hotel is very nice, with quite traditional Scottish style decor. As I was a bridesmaid, I was able to see the bridal suite in the main hotel, which we used to get ready in before the wedding ceremony - it was stunning, and absolutely huge, with a lovely balcony looking out over the racecourse and hotel grounds, I was very jealous!!

The staff seemed pleasant enough, and breakfast the next morning was lovely, although we were seated in a separate room (which had apparently been set aside for the wedding guests) and as we were up early, ended up in this huge room all on our own!! The food was delicious though, and nice to order off a menu, rather than just the usual buffet style affair.

Would stay here again if in Ayr for any reason, but would probably prefer the main hotel rooms rather than the annexe (depending on the price difference of course!)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2012

great hotel nice staff good rooms, but try to stay in the main building.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night and it was very disappointing. When booking the room online it is very misleading. The accommodation shown in the hotel gallery photographs look to be of a very high standard (£180.00 for a double room), but when i arrived to check in I was directed to another building known as the "courtyard". This was more like a school hall of residence and nothing like the main hotel building. When i complained about this the staff were not in the least helpful and totally uninterested. Then I was asked for another £40.00 to upgrade (a total con) to a higher spec room, which i refused. I eventually had to go to the original room offered to me which was more like what you would expect from a travel lodge or similar. The room was clean and tidy though in my opinion not what you would expect for the price paid. Beware!!!

Room Tip: Check exact room type before you confirm booking
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Harry J
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed for a wedding so not my choice. Nevertheless, this is a nice hotel on the very edge of Ayr racecourse. It is well appointed and the staff are very friendly. We stayed for 3 nights in the courtyard rooms that were large in size but remarkably lacking in wardrobe and drawer space. There was a table top dresser that was quite large, without drawers, a cupboard for the tea making equipment, with no drawers, and a very small wardrobe. The wardrobe was restricted in depth at one side. On the other side was a unit that had a safe and two small shelves, hardly room for a couple of shirts and socks.
Despite this disappointment, the food was good and the staff friendly. The service in the restaurant was quite good if a touch slow because of the number of people from the racing course and wedding guests on both Saturday and Sunday nights. I have not stayed in any other hotels in the Ayr area, so cannot compare it to others. Locals I spoke to all suggested it was the best hotel in ayr.

Room Tip: I am told that the courtyard rooms are not anywhere near as goods as the more expensive rooms in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigJock7
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I was in Ayr on business and I had booked the Western House Hotel without really looking too much at the details, the location was my driving factor, as it was close to my call early the following morning. So when I arrived on a wind and rain-swept Thursday night, I was really grateful to the lady at reception who said that as the weather was so foul and that they had space, she would move me from the room allocated to one in the main building, to avoid me having to go out again.

The best part was that she allocated me a room which when I arrived at the door had the name Aintree on it along with the number 111! Imagine my surprise and delight when I opened the door to find a suite! Enormous bed, a sitting area with a sofa and two arm chairs, a huge bathroom with a double walk in shower and a superb bath along with two sinks. No loo!!! Yes, behind another door in a totally space of its own.

So relaxing on the chaise long watching the news on the TV I debated the merits of dinner in the room or in the restaurant. The restaurant won and the food was superb. The service attentive but not obtrusive and atmosphere was lovely, murmured conversations and no MUZAK!!!

OK, I can't say that you'll get that treatment every time, but I did and it was wonderful, so thank you and I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, you never know!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business