Western House Hotel
$101
Agoda.com
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscourtyard roommain buildingjockey clubayr racecourserace coursewedding guestswedding meallovely hotelfirst classwedding receptionhot chocolateevery member of stafflittle extrashuge bedchecking outwould highly recommend this hotelattending a wedding
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed here for one night in late September. Room was booked through late rooms, and like many other reviewers I was in a courtyard room. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed and given the relatively low price I had paid for it I was quite happy. If the price had been more than the £60 I paid then I could understand why others would be disappointed, especially given the 4* awards from the AA and tourist board that are proudly displayed in reception.

I ate in bar and food and drink were vert nice with polite and attentive service from the bar staff and upon check in and check out at reception.

My only slight gripe was that there was a relatively loud electrical hum in the room despite all electrical items being off in my room. Eventually tracked it down and the bathroom fan appears to stay on even when the light is off. This coupled with an ill fitting window blind which made the room quite light early in the morning would have frustrated a light sleeper. Thankfully for me this isn't something I suffer from.

Overall I would be happy to stay here again when next in Ayr, assuming the price was right :-)

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank mdwilliams007
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We were en route to visiting our son in Glasgow and spent a night at this hotel. The main building of the hotel at Ayr Racecourse looks like a large mansion built in the 1930’s. This is where the restaurant is, however, the room we stayed in was what looked like 1970’s style accommodation from the outside but was excellently finished on the inside apart from a rather steep set of steps to get to the room. The room was very comfortable but was far outshone by the quality of the food in the restaurant which was of the highest standard and must represent one of the best meals we have had this year. We had gone for the dinner, B&B arrangement and everything on the dinner menu was available unlike the usual subset of the menu available for a DBB arrangement. Breakfast was of a similar high standard and we would certainly go there again even if the food is the main attraction!

Room Tip: If you can try and get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank EX-Kiwi
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I travelled to Ayre to attend a wedding with my wife. My wife and I travel around the world a lot, and have been to some of the best hotels in the world. Going to a small town like Ayre, my wife was a little worried about accommodation there.

Upon arrival at The Western House, we were truly surprised to find this really charming country style hotel / bed & breakfast. Located right to the racecourse, set it a garden-like setting, it is a great getaway from the hustle and bustle of the big city.

For its price, the rooms are charming, the service is great, and the breakfast is so YUMMY! I still dream about it sometimes. First time I tried black pudding here.

Would definitely recommend it to anyone heading up to that part of the world.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed there for three nights while visiting the area. Although I was disappointed not to stay in the "old" section of the hotel, our room was comfortable and roomy, even with two added beds for the kids. The area is lovely, right next to the races. Breakfast was great, but also very typical Scottish (very salty bacon). The old building was simply gorgeous. The staff was very professional. It really gave a true luxurious feeling.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem in a modern building adjacent to the old one. Some have better views than others.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Enilec
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This was a treat for my husband's 40th birthday and I was very glad I chose this one. This is a beautiful hotel right next to Ayr Racecourse, and in fact you could see the stables from our lovely room in the main house. The decor and provisions in the room were first class and the decor very contemporary. We had both dinner and breakfast in the hotel's restaurant and both were delicious. There was a plentiful choice at both and I liked the fact that the cooked breakfast was cooked to order and brought to the table as opposed to a buffet.
This hotel pays a lot of attention to the finer details and all in all the surroundings, the staff and the food contributed to making this a very special occasion for us and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. I would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple