“great food,friendly helpful staff”

Boswells Bar Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 195 Restaurants in Ayr
Cuisines: American, Diner, Italian, Pizza, Seafood, Scottish, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I went to Boswells with my husband and 2 children at lunchtime on sat. What a great place, was very busy and the staff were very pleasant and friendly. The waitress could see when we arrived we were a tad harassed as one of my girls was playing up,so she went and got her a bag of toys which was great, she even helped get her settled. Gold star :). the food was very good and excellent value for money. Best macaroni ever .

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I was in Boswells today with my partner and we used to go all the time on a Saturday afternoon to watch the football.

We came in and the TVs had gone off so we asked for them to be put on. The manageress said yes but never did it so we asked again and she said that they had been broken for half an hour. Why they never said when we asked I have no idea.

My partner when ordering wanted some sides but we didn't even get a chance as the waitress took our menus away so fast we didn't have the chance. We ask another when passing and they added it on to the bill. Sadly they never came and we were charged but refused to pay for it. We were asked if we needed any sides and I asked for some sauses which again never came our way. The waitress when we asked her when passing said no problem but then never came back. I gave up and are my food anyway. Which by the way was lovely.

Finally as we were about to leave we were told that we hadent paid our bill - but we had. They told us no we hadent. But we assured them we did!! And showed the receipt. The girl had just forgot.

Place has gone down hill and needs all new staff. They seem to love chatting about their own lives rather than keeping an eye on their paying customers !!!!
Shambles

2  Thank Grace N
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited boswells as part of a groupon deal, I don't normally do reviews, but this deserves a mention, food was fantastic, staff were friendly, helpful and pleasant, even without a groupon deal this is well worth a visit, the best fajitas this side of Mexico !! Well done

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Enjoyed a decent meal in here last week.
Very good value, 2 courses for £9.99 or 3 courses for £12.99 and the drink was reasonably priced too.
Didn't have to wait long for the food and when it came it was pipping hot unlike a lot of places.
Plenty of big screen tv's for watching the footie.
Kids eat free too, which is great.
Will definitely return the next time we are in Ayr.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My partner, two kids and I visited Boswell's this afternoon having bought a voucher from Glasgow's Great Deal for 2 courses and a drink each for 2 adults, with kids eating free. After buying it we'd had a look on Tripadvisor and were a bit apprehensive, given that more than a few of the reviews suggested that customer service was not the best. Our experience could not have been more different. On arrival we were immediately met by a member of staff who seated us and brought us drinks, then returned a few minutes later to take our orders.

My partner had chicken tempura to start and then chicken in a Philadelphia cheese sauce, while I had deep-fried mozzarella sticks then pasta carbonara, while the kids had macaroni cheese with chips, and penne pasta in tomato sauce with chips. While the kids' food wasn't exactly ground-breaking it was fresh, tasty and piping hot when delivered, and the kids devoured it in no time. The mozzarella sticks again were standard, nothing to write home about, but the chicken tempura was excellent, clearly freshly cooked and with a delicious soy and ginger dipping sauce to go with the ubiquitous sweet chilli. The chicken main came with delicious mange tout, carrots and cheesy mash, and was again red hot. My carbonara was extremely rich without being overpowering.

We were expecting limited drinks availability on the voucher, but were told we could have basically any pint, bottle or a large glass of wine. We opted for the wine (red) which was lovely. We were expecting to pay for the kids' drinks as the voucher only said that kids ate free; pleasingly this was not the case and the kids' drinks were included.

Overall this was a really pleasant surprise. Special mention should be made of the staff, who were extremely attentive, suggesting they've maybe been made aware of previous reviewers' complaints. Without being obtrusive they were there whenever we needed something and all requests were carried out with a smile, and immediately. There was a point where it seemed like a drunk customer was going to cause a scene; two of the staff reacted immediately to courteously but firmly resolve the problem before it impinged on the other diners. The staff were a credit to the place, and the standard of the food allied to the great value mean that we will be more than happy to go back when in the area again.