“Public library”

Carnegie Public Library
Ranked #16 of 43 things to do in Ayr
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic library, architecturally significant. Local Archives, historic artifacts & artwork on display, History talks and walks. Free entry.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Ancient building and mostly well maintained. No chance of getting lost and well signed to explain different areas and services offered. Sadly the days of being quiet in the library are long gone with the staff being the worst culprits although only doing the job. No Cafe.

1  Thank 88Franki

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Love this lovely old building full of character and books. Staff are extremely helpful if you want to order books or DVD there is no charge for ordering books

2  Thank Sheilacraw
Reviewed July 29, 2013

An excellent source of local information with friendly and helpful staff - computer access to let you access the web for further information, and a great selection of books to choose from. This is a great place to spend a few hours, even if it isn't raining outside.

1  Thank michieg121
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The staff was helpful - it was our first stop for research. Ian from Stewarton (the attendant at the desk) was full-on into helping us. He found an 1800's newspaper ad - back to when our descendents left Scotland for the U.S. - that helped explain why they may have wanted to leave. The library building inside was quite beautiful. I have great photos of wonderful stained glass to illustrate the Carnegie influence but TripAdvisor doesn't allow for uploading photos of this type of property :-(

2  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Was told about this library at the B & B where we stayed. We walked over one morning and the ladies on the second floor were so helpful. They helped me at a computer and actually got me some family info I'd been searching for for years. I now have my Scotlands People card so I can research from home. They were so very helpful.

3  Thank NewHarfordMerle