“2nd visit and still impressed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield House Hotel

Fairfield House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
Gourock, United Kingdom
“2nd visit and still impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

Well I would have posted this earlier but because of the restrictions by TA I could not post a review of the same establishment within three months of the first review. So turning the clock back to 16 July ...

In my earlier review , I asked “would we go back” to this hotel, well yes here we are again stayed on 16th July for my wife’s birthday.

If have previously commented on the traditional / contemporary room styles. I booked our stay by phoning the hotel direct and asked for a contemporary room. Unfortunately none were available. I mentioned a previous stay and did not particularly like the traditional style. I was asked which part of the hotel I previously stayed in and I said that it was over the ballroom. I was reassured that they could give me a room in the “main” building which was in the traditional style however I would not be disappointed. I had been invited by the GM to make a return visit and he would ensure that we got a contemporary room. But I did not want to be the awkward customer. To be fair I was phoning in the morning of when we wanted to stay, if nothing else we are spontaneous. So because this was a special occasion and we did enjoy our previous stay I did make the booking. Picking up on being a returning guest I was asked for my post code and house number and that was all they needed to confirm my booking, no more fuss just "we look forward to meeting you again".

We arrived later that afternoon to find the hotel really busy we were soon aware that there was a funeral tea ongoing and the public areas were full with family and friends. We decided to check out our room then go for a walk and leave them to their afternoon. We had been allocated room 13. Arggh room 13! This is the first hotel I have seen with a room 13. I think the management had maybe realised this as the room had also been named the “sovereign” but the number was still on the key fob. The room was one of the biggest rooms I have stayed in and the traditional style was authentic from furnishings to the cornice surrounding the room. The main feature of the bathroom was very big roll-top bathtub with feet. But even bigger was the bed in the bedroom. The room I had commented on the room in my earlier stay as being a “double” well you could have got, well I’d rather not say how many people in this bed at the one time. I have posted a photo which gives an indication of the size.

This time we went into the leisure club and next time we must take our bathing suits. No what I mean is because of the quick booking we made we only looked in and thought that it looked so inviting we must try it out next time. Phew !

As this was a birthday treat we dined in the house restaurant “Martin’s Bar and Grill” and again the food was excellent. I would recommend the warm salad of confit duck, black pudding, soft egg and herb oil, to start and the main I had was the 8oz sirloin steak of prime Scottish beef cooked to your liking with grilled tomato, Portobello mushrooms, onion rings and hand cut chips. A nice bottle of wine and we had a wonderful evening.

A point on customer care which was low key and maybe not everyone noticed, but when we were sitting at dinner we could see the car park and entrance and I notice four flag poles with their flags a half mast. I mentioned this to my wife and we remembered the funeral tea that was in the hotel earlier. The hotel maintained the flags at half mast all day. A nice touch and sympathetic to their customers situation.

As I said this was my second visit to this hotel and again I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and their attention to your needs making your stay comfortable which is the way I like to feel when away from home.

Would I return, yes. If nothing else to try out the leisure facilities and maybe try the contemporary room.

David Bulloch

2 Thank DLB-GOUROCK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

Having booked originally into the Ramada, they moved us for 2 nights into this lovely hotel. It is in a good location near to the centre of Ayr, and also close to the seafront. The staff were uniformly cheerful, helpful and enthusiastic. The hotel itself is full of character, we ate a very good meal in their restaurant, with beautiful views out over the sea. Our twin room was very spacious, with comfortable beds and beautiful fittings, everything in good order and well maintained and very clean. The breakfast had a good choice of food, and all was great quality, cannot fault it and again happy staff. I used the pool and this also was well cared for, all in all a great hotel, would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We have recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Fairfield, due to the bowling tournament my husband was playing in.

On arrival, the hotel looked lovely, we were very impressed. The reception staff were very nice and made us feel welcome. Our room wasn't ready for our check in, but we were early. They did however, make the room up for us to check our things in.
We were allocated room 1. I was bitterly disappointed as this room was almost in darkness due to the fact there was no window in the room. The 'window' was blocked by a huge mirror (as there was obvisously no outlook from this room). There was a small window above the mirrow but this let in hardly any sunlight which made the whole room dull and depressing.

The bathroom was small and narrow, but clean. There was a window however, this opened out to the roof tops of the kitchens below with an extremely noisy fan extracting the kitchen smells (which was not pleasant).

I spoke to the receptionist to complain about the room but was advised there was no other rooms available and there was nothing she could do. It was my birthday that day and we were looking forward to a few nights away without our kids, so I was upset that we were allocated a room with no outlook or views (considering we were a stones throw away from a beatuiful view/lovely beach/links).

I was also disappointed that a hotel of a 4* rating would offer this room out at all.

On checking out, I reiterated this to the girl who apologised. She reduced the room rate by £10 per person (which she said was all she could do) and she advised I write a letter to the manager, which I will do.

On a positive note, the food/breakfast was lovely and the bar staff were pleasant.
The spa facilities were good, which we made alot of use of - clean, bright and towles were provided.

Would I return to the Fairfield? Yes, but would specifically ask for another room and deffinately not room number 1.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LouiseKS
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Lovely stay, friendly helpful staff and a quiet, clean room. The breakfast was great too. We'll be back to try the pool next time too.

1 Thank EdinburghLadyP
RobertDCrews, General Manager at Fairfield House Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear EdinburghLadyP,

Thank you for your kind comments they are very appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairfield Hotel.

Best Regards

edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

My wife and I paid our annual visit to the bowling championships in Ayr and rebooked at the fairfield as we had so enjoyed our last stay and we were not disappointed. Lovely large bedroom with a view of open fields with 4 shetland ponies along with a huge bathroom and a great shower which is so important to us.What a delight at breakfast to be able to sit at your table and be served quickly and efficiently without having to queue and help yourself as seems to happen in many of the big hotel chains. All in all a perfect stay with helpful and pleasant staff. We will return

1 Thank tonymacEdinburgh
Dear Tonymac,

Thank you for your kind comments they are much appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairfield Hotel

Thanks

Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spent 3 nights in July and were very impressed. Lovely hotel, safe parking, nice location, friendly staff, great breakfasts, good dinners. Our room was fantastic - very large, superb bathroom, sitting area with TV and sofa etc. Didn't use the fitness room but swimming pool and spa bath were very enjoyable. Reasonable room rate. Would definitely return.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank penguinsfriend
Dear Penguinsfriend,

Thanks for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairfield Hotel
Best Regards
West Lothian
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

While staying at another hotel in Ayr last year my husband and I took our daughter and her fiance to The Fairfield House Hotel for a drink, as we had stayed with friends the previous year.
They got married in May this year but as my daughter had been made redundant could not really afford to go on honeymoon.
We offered to pay for a few days away and they said they would like to stay at The Fairfield.
I phoned and spoke to Sarah who gave me a very good price for 3 days.
She emailed confirmation and I replied explaining they were on their honeymoon. I was absolutely delighted when she upgraded them.
Their comments were everyone was so friendly and not like some hotels where staff are too busy to stop and speak.
They liked it so much they want to go back with 'the in-laws'

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Dalefan22,

Thankyou for your kind review of the Fairfield House Hotel , I will pass your comments to the team here. I hope to welcome you back in the future

Thanks and regards

Robert Crews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
Horizon Hotel
Horizon Hotel
#8 of 18 in Ayr
Carrick Lodge Hotel

Been to Fairfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!