“bad timing”

Scottish Industrial Railway Centre
Ranked #20 of 40 things to do in Ayr
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Scottish Industrial Railway Centre is the only steam railway in south west Scotland, and only ten miles from Ayr. It is a volunteer run visitor attraction in the Doon valley between Patna and Dalmellington. A limited number of Steam Days are held during the Summer when visitors can take a ride behind one of our industrial steam locomotives, explore the museum and view the miniature railway. We have a Tea Room, serving teas, coffee, soft drinks, sandwiches and confectionery, and our Shop has many items at pocket money prices to suit our younger visitors. Please see our website for more details -
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Glasgow, United Kingdom
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“bad timing”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Thank goodness my cousin and I were enroute to Castle Douglas because on the morning of sept 25, we found this attraction to be completely closed.I blame myself for not checking the website beforehand .but come on typical Scotland,not even the end of sept. and they've given up the ghost..Plenty other attractions in the area were still open.Not impressed.Not a lot more you can say, Lesson Check website first if this is the sole destination of your trip.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank bluesbuddah

BELFAST
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice day out”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Happened to see this place online, enjoyed it greatly. Chance to ride on train up and down 1/4 mile straight. See old, rusty trains, model trains. Nice display inside. Worth the money.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank ALAN H
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Not a great attraction”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I feel slightly uneasy writing this review but thinks its fair to make others aware of what's on offer at this steam rail centre as its a fair way off the beaten track, but being honest it takes longer to get there than it does to cover what's on offer. We were in and out in 40 mins including the train ride ( which don't get excited about its a journey of a few hundred yards back and forth along a narrow gauge line in a miniature carriage. The reason I feel uneasy is the centre is run by a team of committed volunteers who clearly have a passion for what they do...... Restoring narrow gauge trains and researching/collecting memorabilia from old industrial railways. The problem is most of the collection looks like junk to the untrained amateur and there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence (with the exception of the train used on the short ride) of any real progress made in restoring any of the collection. So if you are either a steam enthusiast or an amateur don't expect anything like you will see at other heritage attractions in central scotland like Summerlea in Coatbridge or the Bo'ness steam trains. Clearly this place suffers from a lack of financial resources but its chicken and egg as its not really worth the £5 entrance fee (£3 kids) and for me is only really attractive to a committed enthusiast. However I admire the work the volunteers are trying to do and congratulate them on their commitment but if your looking for somewhere to pass a half or full day in Ayrshire I wouldn't recommend this place. Sorry.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank TourGuideTam
Glasgow
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“fascinating day out”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I took my elderly mother in law along for a wee day out last Sunday and we loved it - I'm already planning another trip this weekend with a friend and her son (it is a definite hit with small boys!!!)

Friendly and welcoming volunteer staff, I knew about Ayrshire's mining past (my partner comes from a mining background locally) but had no idea about the iron works or brickworks, and so this was an eye opener. Train ride was great fun, a shame it doesn't go further but you could go back and forward as many times as you liked. We also enjoyed the tea room, and the staff were very helpful and indicated that we could take our car nearer to the train if required, as my MiL has limited mobility.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank littleshoptroon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
321 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 362 helpful votes
“Industrial Archaeology on a Grand Scale”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

A fascinating insight into the railway and industrial history of Ayrshire's past. The museum has a good number of interesting items, the new station has been built in traditional style and the steam train trips are short but great fun. The site is part of a failed tourist attraction. The shop has a good selection of railway books and other items.

Plenty of parking and some interesting early buildings constructed as 'temples to industry' and not just functional spaces. Run by a hard pressed collection of volunteers, this centre deserves all the help it can get.

Visited October 2011