“Reasonably priced, good location ”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
“Reasonably priced, good location ”
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel as I was working in Ayr for a production at the gaiety, which is literally 150ft from the hotel. I booked a twin room, upon check in I was told parking was £2 a day which is acceptable, and we added breakfast, which was an extra charge. It was advertised as a buffet, but there was too little people staying in the hotel, we were asked what we'd like. A heads up would have been beneficial.

As for the hotel itself, good location, in the town centre basically, we had a sea view room, all the usual amenities, and I would say the room was decorated to a good standard.

There's is a pool, jacuzzi and gym that you have full access to.

However, it is stated wifi is free, and technically it is, but to get any decent speed it costs £4/hr. Also in the rooms it stated on the tv to use the services it would cost £14.50, which sounded okay, after speaking with reception we were informed it was that charge PER DAY

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank scottm17
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for the review following your stay with us in January. I am pleased that we were able to meet the needs of your visit.

We will often do a plated cooked breakfast on the mornings which are very quiet. This is to ensure that the product is as fresh as possible. We are always happy to provide whatever a guest requires.

The WIFI is complimentary throughout the hotel and the speed always you to do most things needed during your stay. However for larger downloads you can purchase the higher speed if required.

I hope that should you be working on any more productions at the Gaiety Theatre you will consider staying with us again.

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
AYRSHIRE UK
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed here after a Christmas night out in Ayr because its location was great plus the car park was just at the rear.
As you enter the hotel it looks very clean and friendly staff were helpful, Although I think if your staying in the hotel I don't think there's any need to pay to park your car that should be free for guests.
I never had any breakfast in the hotel so I don't know what it was like.
The lift looked like it could of done with a good clean....
The rooms were good size & clean enough but very tired looking the bed was very comfortable and clean
Bathroom's were clean enough but very dated and could do with updating.
For what I paid for the night's stay it was ok but I think the hotel needs a good makeover to refresh its tired, grubby appearance especially the bedrooms

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank big-bubbly
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us in December, I hope you had an enjoyable evening.

I appreciate your comments regarding the hotel. There are certainly areas that we are aware need updating or modernisation. Hopefully this will get the required funding so that we can conduct the required cosmetic changes.

The car park is also used by the general public and we discount the use for our hotel guests to only £2 per night which we think is very reasonable for a town centre location.

I do hope that you might consider staying with us again should you be in the area for another night in the town.

Belfast
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Bit late writing review, but I took my husband for a long weekend for his birthday in Feb last year. We had such a great time, we ended up staying an extra night, and had to change all our travel arrangements! Staff were amazingly friendly throughout our stay, dinner was lovely. Great view from room and lots to do in area. We're going to a gig in Glasgow in March and instead of having an extra few days in the city, we are going to Ayr to stay in the this hotel. Forgot to say was great value for money close to everything, pool facilities were good and staff couldn't have done enough for us! Great wee restaurant straight across the street too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your belated review of your stay with us last year, however it is always a pleasure to recieve such positive feedback.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team and we will look forward to seeing you again in March.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Had a lovely time in ayr . The hotel offered great service and room is nice plus absolutely value for money. I thought the staff Fiona was really friendly and helpful. Would stay there again when I visit ayr in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your review of your stay, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable visit.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to Ffyona and hope that we will be able to welcome you back should you next visit Ayr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014

above says it all. met by smokers on doorstep. check in more concerned with selling breakfast and duty manager (?) decrying to another member of staff a guest to had the audacity to complain. Room cold, hospitality tray barely stocked, carpet stained, bathe panel not fitted properly. tv remote control mind of its own. doors banging , soundproofing almost non existant. good point - was able to leave.

Room Tip: to choose a good room ? I would suggest trying another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank apudding
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us although I was disappointed that it did not meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies.

Your comments have been passed to all the relevant departments to investigate and rectify where possible.

Lindsay Steele

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This is about our 15visit so I maybe bias.
We got the special deal dbb saw it in the metro.
Yes Hotel needs a bit of tlc and slowly but surely its on the right track,
New beds are coming. Lets hope new windows and fire doors.
The staff can't help enough , we had a small hiccup at first but Heather sorted it out with the help of the ever cheery dainielle.
The wonderful chris glides through every problem with a smile. His attitude is wonderful the work he does behind the scenes is phenomenal, he is Mr Mercure. A true gentleman.

My three kids loved the swimming pool and it was warm.
Maybe in future they may get the shower outside the sauna reinstated.

The food was very filling and tasty,service was of a good standard new girl with tattoo on right arm very professional and cheery.

At last scramble egg and porridge is made to order and not left to go to rubber.

Maybe if people keep highlighting the drinks price Linda may contact cenral office and do something about it.? Maybe.
Cameron House is cheaper for wine!
Mercure wine is wait for it.. £10.75 per glass.
Pub next door smith's is selling vodka and coke.: 99p, and still making a profit.
It is a farce, cmon linda get something done , the central office line is wearing a bit thin.
That apart we will be back great weekend.
Thanks to all the staff .

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank beafrrespirit
Dear Guest

Thanks for your comments following your most recent stay with us recently I am delighted that you had another enjoyable stay.

The team we have are always on hand to make sure our guests have an enjoyable experience and I will be sure to pass your comments on to them.

I know that the prices of the drinks in the bar seem expensive, especially when the local pubs have promotions on in January. As you know though our hands are tied by company standards but rest assured your comments are taken on board. The £10.70 glass of wine is certainly our most expensive white.

I hope that you will bring the family back to make use of the leisure facilities very soon and we will look forward to welcoming you back.