“HANDY HOTEL”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
London, United Kingdom
“HANDY HOTEL”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My room on the fourth floor had a view down to the sea. It was not overlooking the beach, you understand because the Ayr Mercure is in the town but the beach is walkable in a slow ambling style in about five minutes and all the rest that the town has to offer like the Gaiety Theatre shops and cinema are on your doorstep.
I chose this hotel because I like Mercures (see my review of the excellent one in Letchworth). I also chose it because it was close to the railway station. I arrived in Ayr by train from Glasgow. The taxi ride from the station was less than £3.00 and the driver, pleasant and friendly.
So too were the reception staff. I had booked and paid via an agency and my stay cost £62.00 for the night - it would have been £41.00 if I had stayed on a Sunday night.
My room was large and pleasantly decorated and bright with a large window. The bed was very comfortable and even the screeching of the seagulls didn't spoil my sleep. In the morning I noticed the flat screen HD ready tv had a really bad quality of picture like it suffered from poor reception. I was amazed to see such a poor BBC1 signal.
The bathroom with its tub and shower was a little tired looking but everything worked and the toiletries were ample for three star.
The town of Ayr "wham ne'er a toon surpasses for honest men and bonnie lasses" as Burns put it, is looking very shabby these days. Particularly along the front. The council really should do something about brightening the place up. I know we've had a recession but Ayr is the county town of Ayrshire and needs more places like the Mercure.
The Ayr Mercure's public rooms are far from down at heel looking. The bar is bright and modern as is the whole lounge area and the lager I had was icy cold and tasty.
I had noticed complaints on tripadvisor about service in the restaurant and decided not to dine or indeed have breakfast at the hotel - an extra £10 for the buffet breakfast.
My one disappointment was with the Spa. The person who greeted me when I went for a swim was perfectly pleasant. But the male changing room and the pool area is desperately in need of refurbishment and decorating. Again everything worked - the jacuzzi and the showers and the steam room were operating but with paint peeling and doors hanging off the lockers and a general air of decrepitude it was not a nice place to spend much time.
I did not check out the treatment areas but I did see a gym area which seemed well-equipped.
I noticed as I checked out a plaque commemorating the opening of the hotel as the Caledonian Hotel in 1980's.
It has been through a few changes of ownership since I imagine and the closing of many businesses in the area and the curtailing of flights into nearby Prestwick Airport must have affected hotels as fewer people visit Ayr on business and air crews no longer night stop there.

In conclusion a handy place to stay if like me you need to spend the night in Ayr but as it stands I would not recommend it as a holiday destination.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor look to have been recently refurbed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your in-depth review of your stay with us, although I was disappointed that your stay did not exceed your expectations.

I was pleased to read your praise for the reception team and your room, and that you were able to enjoy a nice cold beer. The areas that you describe as needing improved are ones that we are aware of and hoping to have investment in over a period of time.

Should you be passing through Ayr in the future I do hope that you may consider staying with us again, and should you do so we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Lesmahagow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed for a second year overall hotel is very good our complaint is about the service in the restaurant very slow not enough staff on especially when bus loads are coming in and residents get forgotten about which happened on two of our nights also the menu was a bit boating after 4th night never changes not even a Sunday roast on offer would consider staying again if there was changes made .

Room Tip: Pay for room upgrade well worth it £20
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that other than the issues detailed you stay was enjoyable.

I would like you to know that your issues were brought up at our weekly meeting today and both the Kitchen and Restaurant teams will be working together on these.

I do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Ayr and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

stayed at this hotel on many occasions as far back as when the hotel was under the ramada chain.we always go for a weekend break and have been in february this year and are booked up for november,the hotel is so central you couldnt ask for any better,with the main street a 1minute walk and the hotel bar looking down to the sea.the pool and steam room area is shared with the gym,smiths bar is next door with two beer gardens with good music and plenty of sports channels,and plenty of bars and nightclubs 1 minute from the hotel front door,the hotel also has a luggage room to let you enjoy your last day without dragging it about with you ,cant wait till november

Room Tip: ask for a front room (e.g) sea view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for the review of your latest stay with us.

I am delighted that your stay was another enjoyable one and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in November.

Glasgow
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and 5 yr old son shared a room. The room was very spacious compared to Travelodge or similar which I have regularly stayed in - with a double and single bed the room was not at all cramped.

Breakfast in the morning excellent a wide range to choose from at hot and cold buffet.

Not much to look at from outside - an old office block - but the room and hotel clean and modern. Very hand location for shops, eating out and the beach.

The swimming pool, jacuzzie, sauna, steam room a nice bonus. We used these on each day.

The hotel does have parking to the rear but I found locating this and figuring out if I had to pay or not (I did - £2) confusing!

Maybe room could do with a lick of paint soon, but not a problem for me - I wasnt booking the Ritz.

Yes - the seagulls were noisy during the night and seem to reside on nearby buildings. It's Ayr - I think you will hear seagulls wherever you stay! Dont go to Ayr if seagull squwaks annoy you!

1 Thank pclimie
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted that your stay was an enjoyable one.

I am pleased that your were able to take advantage of our leisure facilities and enjoyed a filling breakfast. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the Chef.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again on any future visits to Ayr so that we can provide you with another enjoyable experience.

Manchester
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed here on the 16th August. Although it was not quite up to the standard of Mercure hotels in France it came pretty close.
I had a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package. The bedrooms were very good but needed a little more attention particularly with the carpets. The ambience and the general appearance of the common areas were first class. The staff were welcoming and helpful. The food both at dinner and breakfast was excellent. Although serving of wine needs to be polished up. The wine was ordered, brought and plonked on the table,and as it was a screw top I was expected to serve it myself, something I don't like to do if I have not had the bottled opened and the wine tasted first. After that initial procedure, (Not present at this hotel) i am quite happy to serve myself.
Despite all that above, this probably the best hotel in the centre of Ayr. I recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback following your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have had a positive experience.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team, I know that the chef will be delighted to read your praise for his team's efforts. I will also be making sure that the restaurant team brush up on their wine service to ensure it matches the quality of the meals it accompanies.

I do hope that you will visit us again should you be returning to Ayr and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

SPOTLESS ROOMS,,, wonderful chef,excellent and helpful staff... nothing was too much... thanks for everything...has a wonderful local art gallery and studio in Bath Place Ayr close to hotel called greenheartscotland beautiful artwork .cards handpainted,handmade jewllery ,soaps enjoy a browse round and meet the artists themselves and enjoy a cofee or cold drink lovely.

Room Tip: just phone hotel direct if your out your request is possible they'll make it happen for you rece...
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review, I am delighted that you have had an enjoyable experience.

The team here are dedicated to ensuring that every guest has and enjoyable stay and are always more than willing to go above and beyond.

I hope that your next visit will not be too far away and we will look forward to providing you with another pleasant stay.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here in august for 2 nights! Overall the staff were lovely! Rooms spot on for what ur paying! Location is spot on, right close to every thing u need! Ayr its self is lovely with loads to do! Would highly recommend the meridan bar/cafe for food and cocktails! the hotel has a great gym and pool.for very good prices! Just dont order cocktails they arent the greatest lol!

• Stayed August 2013
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for the review, I am pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one.

The team are often praised for their helpful and approachable nature and I am delighted to hear that you also had high praise for them as well. Nothing is ever too much trouble as they strive to make every guest's stay as enjoyable as possible.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again on any future visits to Ayr and should you do we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Lindsay Steele
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Fairfield House Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to Mercure Ayr Hotel? Share your experiences!