“overall good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
“overall good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Home to ayr for function and booked 3 rooms for adult family. Found them clean, comfortable, mostly quiet and rooms in good repair. 2 rooms had sea view. Facilties good and everything worked. Did not use restaurant but used bar. Prices were way over the top. Car park poorly signposted. Some water damage requiring repair in corridor. Breakfast buffet good and value for money. Fruit selection could be improved. Everything else good. Very central and easy access to ayrs great beach. Would recommend this hotel it does what it says on the tin.

Room Tip: Back rooms overlook car park. Front rooms have distant sea view but really nice to wake up to.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for the review of your recent stay with us, I am delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay.

I take on board your comments regarding the drink prices but unfortunately, as a branded hotel, these are dictated by our head office and outwith with hotel's control. The signage for our car park is currently being looked into and the water damage from a leak is being dealt with by the Maintenance team.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again on your future trips to Ayr and we will all look forward to welcoming you back.

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Thought we’d try a Mercure hotel for our break in Scotland and stayed at the one in Ayr.
with very mixed feelings.
We liked the room, spacious, clean and quiet. The iron and trouser press a bonus.Beds comfortable.
Parking good and location of hotel good.

Disappointed with some aspects that should have been picked up by house keeping.
Mould round the bath. It’s no use putting grout over mould it always comes through.
Bathroom extractor fan not working
Only 2 drawers in a large double room OK for single business traveller but not for a wife on a few days break.

Breakfast poor and not value for money.
One kipper for breakfast, and that from a prepacked pack of fillets – in Scotland?
Dinner dining food generally good but wine overpriced – about 200+% mark up on a mediocre bottle of Chilean wine

The best redeeming feature of the hotel was the staff. Cheerful and helpful, they went a long way to blunting the problems.
Needs better inspection of facilities.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us although I was a little disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations.

I will be passing your comments on to both the Housekeeping and Maintenance Departments to look into so as to rectify any shortfalls. Please accept my apologies.

Unfortunately as a branded hotel, the prices of our food and drinks are dictated by head office and are outwith the hotel's immediate control. However I have passed your comments regarding your breakfast to the Chef.

I am delighted that you found the team to be cheery and helpful. This is something that they take great pride in and your comments will no doubt provide great motivation to them as they strive to make every guest's experience as enjoyable as possible.

We do hope that you will consider staying with us again on any future visits to Ayr and should you so so we will look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

booked for an overnight on 10 August 2013 with my mum and sister - hotel is situated in the centre of the town which is a great base, the rooms had everything catered for your needs, staff were really wonderful really really helpful and very polite and friendly, the food was superb as was breakfast and we finished off with a relaxing time in the spa - fantastic value - will be back and would highly recommend

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for the review, I am delighted that you had a fantastic night away.

At Mercure we strive to exceed our guest's expectations and I am pleased that we have done so. The team are sure to take great encouragement from your comments.

I am delighted that you will recommend the hotel to friends and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Huntly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our third time staying in the Mercure (formly the Ramada Jarvis). This hotel has ls you need for a comforable stay, We stayed for 3 nights in July. Rooms are very comfortable and kitted out with everything you need. Hairdryer, kettle, TV, safe and complementary toiletries. We stayed during the heatwave and the rooms were very hot. The lounge was also very hot in the evenings mainly because the heating was on. We were told this was to supply hot water. Not very cost worthy I thought. Breakfast was passable although not worth the £14 the hotel charges, the hotel has a pool and spa facilities which are nice. This hotel is very central for a spot of retail therapy. The only negative thing about this hotel are the very noisy seagulls that are around the hotel all the time.

Room Tip: Take earplugs for a quieter nights sleep
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us, I am pleased that an enjoyable time was had.

I appreciate your comments regarding the heat in the hotel during the heatwave and I have passed these on to our maintanence team. The seagulls at this time of your can be very boisterous with so many young around and I am sorry if they disrupted your sleep. As you can appreciate this is outwith the hotel's control though.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us for a fourth time and we will look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

My partner booked an overnight stay here for my birthday last weekend and I had a fabulous time. I was greeted with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers (paid for on booking I was told, no hassle) and a lovely card wishing me a happy birthday from the staff.
We stayed in a suite on the 5th floor with beautiful views of the sea. Thankfully the weather was great so I got to watch the sunset. The room was really nice with a big bed, flatscreen tv and was nicely decorated. The bathroom was nice also, with a fantastic power shower! The complementary toiletries and bathrobe/slippers went down a treat too.
We had dinner in the on-site restaurant. The menu did not have a vast selection of options but there were enough and we both had a lovely meal. The drinks are reasonably priced too. The restaurant staff were very enthusiastic and attentative.
The parking is free and the hotel is right in the middle of Ayr - great value for money.

The only small issue I have is with noise pollution coming from the corridor and adjacent room. We were rudely awoken at about 3am with drunk people roaming the corridor and shouting to one another. We were then woken again at about 8am with the people next door (without going into too much detail) suffering the after effects of the previous nights drinking!
Also, £10 pp/pn for breakfast is quite expensive.

Other than that it was a great stay and I would have no hesitation staying here again and will recommend to others visiting the area.

Thanks :)

Room Tip: The suites are fabulous... well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for the review following your recent stay with us, I was delighted to hear that your Birthday was an enjoyable one and you loved your flowers. We are always more than happy to help with any requests where possible.

I see you stayed in one of our Privilege or Superior rooms and I am glad that you enjoyed the additional extras that come with them. Including some fabulous sunsets over the Isle of Arran!!
I was disappointed however that you were woken by some late night revellers. The Nights Team do regular walks of the corridors in order to maintain security and also ensure that noise levels are kept to a minimum. I trust that this was swiftly dealt with.

I am delighted to hear that you will recommend the hotel to friends and will indeed be visiting us again. I must state that the car park is in fact charged at just £2 per night, reasonable for a town centre location. There must have been an oversight on your bill that you were not charged as such.

I will be sure to pass your comments to the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Myself and my three daughters stayed at the Mercure Hotel Ayr Tuesday 30th July - Sunday 4th August. Lovely hotel in the heart of Ayr.
Nice clean spacious privileged room 3rd floor with sea views, comfortable beds and clean bathroom, nice sized bath and a shower.Staff are very friendly, attentive and make you feel very welcome. Great leisure facilities pool - Jacuzzi and gym etc.
A special mention to the night staff Alex and John who were really friendly helpful and attentive also to the waiting on staff who were to very friendly and attentive. Great chef and a great breakfast. Chamber maids to are very friendly and professional, with any requests not to much trouble. We are looking forward to our next visit to Ayr and our next stay at the Mercure :)

Room Tip: Spacious and comfortable privileged family room with sea views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jamie B
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience.

The team strive to ensure that we exceed our guest's expectations and I am pleased that this has been maintained during your stay. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them.

I hope that your next stay is not too far away and we will all look forward to welcoming you back.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights as we were visiting family in Ayr. I had my prom in this hotel before it became the Mercure so I have fond memories of the place! The staff were friendly and efficient and we enjoyed our stay. The double room was on the 6th floor overlooking the car park which was fine as we didn't need a sea view. I do agree that the gulls are loud but not much anyone can do about that and it is a problem all around that area, not just for the hotel. Our only issue was with parking as the hotel has around 180 rooms and there are only 40 or so spaces available which meant that lots of cars were parked over the mini roundabout and in front of exits. I think this is a bigger issue because the parking is chargeable at £2 per day so most people would expect a space. My advice for the hotel would be to work with the shopping centre to see if they can book out one of the floors for hotel guests as this would help a lot.
All in all it was a good stay and I would recommend it if you need somewhere central to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for the review, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay on the whole.
I will be sure to pass your comments to the team who strive to ensure that every guest's stay is as enjoyable as possible.

I take on board your comments regarding the size of the car park. We are lucky to have a very central location but this does come with tghe downfall of having limited outside space. There are 45 designated spaces in the car park. With 118 rooms, when the hotel is busy these spaces can get used up. We feel that £2 for overnight use of the carpark is very reasonable in such a central location.

I hope that we may get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel should you be returning to Ayr for family visits or even for just a break away.