“short stay”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Clydebank
“short stay”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

this is the 3rd time I have stayed at the hotel and will not be the last the staff are all very pleasant and hotel very clean ..we stayed last sat night and admittedly was a very hot night and seagulls were having a party but you cannot blame hotel for that lol ,,,hotels in Scotland don't expect to need aircon or even a fan in every room but we managed ok even with our 11 yr okd grandson in the room all in a very pleasant stay

Room Tip: in the sum a room at the front is better as pub next door was quite noisy on sat night
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for the review of your most recent stay with us, I am delighted that it was again an enjoyable one.

The weather recently has been superb and there have been some muggy nights so I am pleased that you were able to enjoy your break.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team and we hope to be able to welcome you back for another visit in the not too distant future.

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Shotts
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location but communal areas are in need of upgrading, dirty carpets, damp patches on the ceilings etc. We stayed in a priviliged room which was lovely although the bathroom wasn't as nice - clean though. We used the pool, sauna etc, the health suite is very dated and dirty looking. The staff are very helpful and friendly. If you book a privileged room make sure you get all the benefits without having to ask.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review following your recent stay although I was a little disappointed that we didn't manage to exceed your expectations.

There is future investment planned for areas of the hotel that you mention and hopefully this will be sooner rather than later. I am however delighted that the team were on hand to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so the team can look after you again.

Conroe, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was so happy to leave this hotel. Albeit, the staff is very friendly, helpful, and accommodating but it just didn't make up for the heat in the room and the seagulls that kept me up all night. There is no air conditioning in the hotel and I was there two night during one of the worst summers on record. I tried to leave the window open, but the seagulls were so loud sqawking all night long. If you close the window, it got stuffy and stifling. The rooms were about the size of a cruise ship. If you don't mind a hot, stuffy room with loud birds then this is your place. I'm sure it would be nice during the fall or winter, just not when I was there. The restaurant served a nice breakfast though. The carpets are old, faded and musty. One of the rooms I walked by looked like the door had been kicked in. It is a old hotel in serious need of TLC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Justin D
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your feedback following your stay, I am disappointed that your stay was not an enjoyable one.

Unfortunately the hotel does not have air-conditioning at this moment in time. We have been lucky enough to have had some very nice weather during July, something that doesn't happen very often. I can appreciate that this may leave the rooms feeling stuffy during the evening.

The hotel is situated close to the beach and this does mean that there are a number of seagulls in the area. At this time of year all the baby seagulls have hatched and this can create noise.

As always we appreciate feedback, whether positive or negative, and I will be sure to pass your comments on to the relevant departments.

Lindsay Steele

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Falkirk
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We styled here for 3 nights last weekend with our 2 grandchildren we had a family executive room which was excellent. We ate in hotel on Saturday night and the meal was excellent. The staff in the hotel were all very pleasant and courteous from reception to dining staff to housekeeping and the leisure complex staff were we spend a couple of hours each day the kids loved it. My grandson had a nose bleed one night and the sheets were changed next day with no issues. We will certainly stay again this was our second visited with the kids and we have stayed ourselves as well. Will certainly be back great time.

Thanks

Room Tip: We had extra room for one child which was perfect for us
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback back following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you have had another enjoyable break.

I will be sure to pass your kind words on to the team who I know will take great motivation from them.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow
Reviewed July 17, 2013

13/14 July a fine sunny weekend so my wife and I headed for Ayr as it is less than an hours drive from home. Having stopped at the Mercure on previous occasions we opted this time for one of the privilege rooms. We found it to be very clean,large and roomy with plenty of space to walk about. Well furnished with armchairs, sofa bed, writing desk a comfortable bed and a good sea view. The bathroom was rather dated and could do with some attention nonetheless it was clean and being there for only two nights was quite adequate. Perfect for a couple but I can understand it may be a little awkward when used as a family room.

The big winner is the hotel location being literally two minutes from Ayr High Street and a comfortable ten minute stroll to the beach.

Free wi fi was available in the room but it was very slow and only really of use to catch up with your e mails.

Having previous experience of the dining room we preferred to eat out. If you want one of Scotland's largest breakfasts at a very reasonable price then head for the Gaiety Theatre cafe across the road.

The hotel lounge area is not very large and being part of the main entrance hallway can be noisy at times with residents coming and going. The bar service was however very good with attentive and friendly bar staff. I would agree with other contributors the Mercure is a little dated but it does have quite a pleasant atmosphere and reception and other staff are very helpful and friendly. It is obviously popular with locals as several people were seen booking function rooms and making wedding reception enquiries.

One note of caution. The car park is not that large for the number of rooms in the hotel and it can be difficult at times to squeeze a car in.

Room Tip: The Privilege rooms are worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you decided to take advantage of one of our Privilege Rooms.

I appreciate your comments regarding the size of our car park. The central location right in the centre of town is a big advantage for guests of the hotel however this does limit the amount of external space we have. There are however, 45 designated spaces.

The friendly nature of our team is often commented on and again I am pleased that they were on hand to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again on any future visits to Ayr and the team will look forward to looking after you again.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is in need of an update, very shabby inside and out.
Stayed at hotel when the weather was 27 deg plus and no air conditioning in the rooms called reception to enquire about a fan as room was on 6th floor and was very warm to be told "sorry we have no fans" no other solution was offered.
Bathroom needed a coat of paint and toilet would not flush toilet paper.
Ordered a sandwich from room service and when it arrived the bread was hard and not at all fresh so could not eat it.
The gym equipment is in need of updating and you have to take your room towel down to the gym/pool area.
Gym/pool is located in the basement which would not be a problem if the air conditioning down there actually cooled so you can't really train as its to warm. I will not be staying here again and will be complaining to my company booking agent to get this hotel removed off the preferred hotel list.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Onelife33
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel although I am disappointe that it was not an enjoyable one. Pleae accept my apologies.

Your comments have been passed to the relevant departments to investigate and prevent future occurance.