“Mercure Ayr” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ayr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just returned from the above hotel having spent Hogmany there, excellent facilities including swimming pool, sauna and steam room, which is free to guests
Could not fault the staff very friendly from the Manager, waiting & bar staff even the lovely lady who kept our room spotless
3rd time we have visited and will not be our last

Room Tip: We were in room 564 on the fifth floor and had a lovely view right down to the sea and beyond
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard M
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your excellent feedback following your stay with us over Hogmanay. I am delighted that you had a fantastic time.

I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team and we all look forward to hopefully bringing in the New Year again with you this year.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We got a great deal for a two night stay and the young staff team were very good. However, the hotel is showing its age. In our room there were cracks in the celing with water drips, toilet didn't flush without holding the button in, the shower head fitting was broken, the tv hand control worked intermittingly and the room door was so tight we had to shoulder it to get it open.

The breakfast was ok but heavy on the grease with little fruit options and the coffee/ teas slightly stewed. The hotel had great parking and was very central just being minutes away from the GaietyTheatre and Main Street. Ayr was very pleasant and the Burns Museum first class.

We used the spa and although it looked some what dated and a bit scruffy at points the pool and jacuzzi were very good and again young staff very pleasant. Mercure need to invest in the fabric of the hotel rather than a cosmetic job which you got a sense of and give the very competent staff something to be proud of and work with.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay with us.

The team will take great encouragement from your comments regarding them as they take great pride in making your stay as comfortable as possible.

I understand your comments regarding your room and will pass your comments on to the Maintanence team to look into. We hope that there will be investment made to upgrade areas of the hotel also.

We hope that on returning to Ayr we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

We as a family have been down at least 7 times this year,all visits have been wonderful: Till now..
Still good value dbb 120 pound ,age range 3 to 87 .
The main concern was lack of sleep with the hotel disco,and no sound proof, we had the top floor rooms and heard every word from the dj.
Our young children did not get to sleep till 11 pm.due to the noise.from the hotel!
We did get to sleep at 130 am ,shattered.
I phoned and asked reception if it could be turned down, no was the answer.
The key to a good stay is a good sleep.
Recently we stayed @ the Hilton hotel we had 4 functions on till 1 am ,they have soundproofing ,we slept like a log,and never heard a peep.
Then there was the food , it used to be of a good standard with choice, now set menu limited choice , burger was aberdeen Angus, I dispute this.deep fried junk.
We love a homemade sticky toffee pudding ,light fresh tasty
Sadly we all left their heavy ,tastless, chewy excuse for a pudding.
And they all bad things come in threes , their right.
The pool had polar bears coming out of it looking for hats and scarves. That cold.
Kids came out after 5 mins.

As ever the staff even the new young ones are very helpful.
Sain in the pool area was wonderful,
Susan nelson was also fantastic.
Chris the manager was kind ,helpful .
Yet it saddens me to say it but I have to be honest, it is on the slide.
We hope it was a one off, yet time Will tell.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank beafrrespirit
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your most recent stay with us. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

I have passed your feedback on to the relevant departments to look into. Hopefully it won't be too long until we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel and show you that, like previous visits, this is not typical of the standards we set ourselves.

Lindsay Steele

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Me & My Partner Were Attending A Friends Wedding Which Started At 2pm. Although Check In Is From 2pm We Arrived An Hour Earlier To See If Our Room Was Ready So We Could Check In And Leave Our Bags, Which It Was. (Although I Was Told OOn The Phone A Few Day Before That If It Wasnt We Could Leave Our Bag With Them & Return After The Service To Check In If Our Room Wasnt Ready) I Was A Bit Wary Of My Stay When I Was Given A Room On The 6th Floor As I Had Read Some Negative Reviews Of Them Being Very Noisy, But These People Must Have Supersonic Hearning As Our Room Was A SeaVeiw Very Near The Lifts And We Didnt Hear A Thing At Night. We Were Only Planning To Use The Hotel For Somewhere To Sleep As We Would Be Out At A Wedding All Day, But The Facilities Looked Great And I Would Have Loved To Grab A Bite To Eat. After We Left Our Bags In The Room The Receptionist Called Us A Cab & Off We Went. On Returning At 12.30am We Went And Got Changed And Came Down And Asked Reception If There Were Any 24hour Shops Near By & Was Really Happy To Discover There Is A 24hour Spar Less That 5mins Away With A Cash Machine. Our Bed Was Huge & Really Comfortable, Had A Great Nights Sleep, Room & Bathroom Were Spotless And Our Veiw Of The Sea Was Amazing. Overall I Had A Great Stay And Will Definitely Be Staying Again On Our Next Trip :)

Room Tip: As For A Sea View Room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaB89
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us recently. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you back on future visits to Ayr.

Best Regards

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 days here last week. Reception looked very plush and service was excellent. We used the spa for a swim. It is very well appointed with pool, jacuzzi, sauna and gym as well as spa treatments. Excellent.
We did, however, find that the high standard did not reflect in the rooms. Our ensuite door did not shut properly, the bathroom fan did not work and the paintwork was peeling in places. These are simple cosmetic problems and did not affect our stay. We had magnificent view from our room across to Arran and its snow peaked mountains. The setting is very central, in easy walking distance of town centre attractions. Would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for floor 4 or above at front of hotel for wonderful sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank scotlandshorty2016
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us last month. I am glad that, on the whole, you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I have passed your comments on to my maintanence team to have a look into regarding your room so we can look to get these rectified.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed 30/11 to 2/11. We had stayed with the Mercure before and enjoyed our stay but unfortunately this stay was not so good. I'd like to make clear that the staff are enthusiastic, eager to please and hardworking and that was not the problem. We were given room 564 with an ocean view. We went Xmas shopping and then got ready for dinner in the restaurant. Dinner was lovely; staff were great; we enjoyed our dinner. When we got back to the room I went to run a bath. A public hair was in the bath. This is one of my pet hates. All it takes is an xtra rinse! Apart from that.. room was clean and tidy. We got ready for bed and to my horror my mattress had a dip in it the size of the Grand Canyon. My boyfriend can sleep on anything so he was fine. I decided to sleep on the floor it was that bad. First thing in the morning when we went for breakfast I spoke to the girl on reception who was very concerned that we had a terrible night. She said we shouldve reported it straight away. I wasnt keen on that at 2am as I was too tired. Anyway we were given a new room numbered 359 (I think). We still had a lovely ocean view and the room was lovely. Looking forward to a good night's sleep we went Xmas shopping again and dinner. When we came back we ordered on the TV the special offer of £19.99 for your choice of films and settled down with 'munchies'. We had to have the TV at a very loud setting to drown out the function suite party with screaming music with bass and a very loud DJ. Unfortunately this went on until 1am. I suppose luckily enough the beds were extremely comfortable in this room. But another pubic hair in the bath. I mean... its black and the bath is white... how could you miss it. Anyway... we are sorry Mercure but we will not be staying again as the first tme we stayed we got a disabled room and got moved and then this. Your staff is not the problem. The overall hotel's cleanliness and appearance is lovely. Its just these small things that let it down. You really need to replace the mattress in room 564. Your cleaner needs to be more vigilant and dont put people who want a sleep in a room right above a function suite. We are most disappointed with our stay as we really love Ayr.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is a great floor (if you get a good bed) the sea view is well worth it. There is no no...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mdoll1971
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel. I am disappointed that we have failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

I am pleased that you found the team to be hard-working and enthusiatic, and that you had an enjoyable meal. However I will be sure to pass your comments on to the Housekeeping team to investigate your comments and action.

Best Regards