“Nice stay”
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed October 9, 2012

A note of thanks to the manager and staff of the hotel. I had to return to Ayr for a family medical emergancy. The hotel is comfortable, the staff are very good.
This is a good centrally located option for nayone visiting Ayr.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words about the team here at the hotel. I am delighted that we could have been of assistance to you.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future under different circumstances.

KInd Regards

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here for a single night with my family. Good sized room with annexe for the children. Room and bathroom were clean and well presented. The Seb Coe gym and swimming pool were grim. Last decorated I'd guess in about 1982. In real need of a revamp.

Breakfast was good value and decent quality, although the restaurant was understaffed and service lacking.

An acceptable family stay, but wouldnt hurry back..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback from your stay at the hotel.

I appreciate your comments regarding the leisure club and with investment planned over the coming years we hope that this is an area that will benefit.

I have passed your comments on to the restaurant team regarding staffing levels so that they can rectify this for the future.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We have been to this Hotel a number of times but it has recently been taken over by Mercure. It is looking tired and in bad need of a make over. The leisure Centre is poor and needs totally revamped.
The rooms are basic but clean, the hotel in general is very noisy day and most of the night were you hear every sound and late night revellers are selfish till dawn.
We were looking forward to Breakfast and were sadly disappointed. Young children unsupervised and noisy.
The Dinning Room was practically empty and we were squashed into a corner with2 other couples. The food was poorly presented and unappetising.
I dont think we would contemplate a repeat adventure . :-(

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elindamcclement
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback from your last stay at the Mercure Ayr Hotel. I am disappointed that you did not have an enjoyable experience with us on this occasion.

Since the re-brand to Mercure there has been significant investment planned for many areas of the hotel over the coming years.

I am sorry that you do not think you will stay with us on future visits to Ayr and will be passing your comments on to the relevant departments to investigate and action.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is the 4th time I've stayed here, the rooms are basic but the hotel is well placed and has a car park (£2 for overnight). The view from the 5th floor sea-facing rooms are fabulous, even on a rainy morning. So if you are looking for somewhere to stay at a budget price and with rooms to match, the Mercure fits the bill.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LinJam2

Dear Guest

Thank you for comments regarding your recent stay at the Mercure Ayr Hotel and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you don't have a special deal then do not waste your money. Cheapskates would sum up this Hotel. Standard Room advert says this:- "Welcome tray including tea, coffee, biscuit, still & sparkling water" We got two standard tea bags, one sachet of ordinary milk and one of semi-skimmed. Not even one biscuit and no water of any kind. Lies is not a nice start to a hotel break, eh? Then, £2 to park your car as a guest! In this day and age no free wifi in the rooms! Meagre selection of TV channels. Fan not working in bathroom. Strong smell of tobacco smoke on second floor. Unless you are on a business account avoid the Restaurant with its five star prices! The BAR has 5 star LOUNGE prices for their drinks - even the coffee is about £1 dearer than I've paid at Starbucks. Better to try Smiths next door to the Mercure for your drink and atmosphere. Good selection of eateries within 5 min walk -especially Ayr India Tandoori. The Hotel health club is good. Nice facilities whicjh include a warm sauna room as well as a hot one. Nice small pool. Helpful staff. Breakfast was less than average. No porridge, black pudding, haggis or square sausage in a Scottish restaurant??!! Fresh orange juice very nice. No fresh fruit, cheeses or meats as stated on the Menu, so you have to stick to the fries or the cereals. No honey or jams except marmalade. No tubs of yogurt. No breakfast rolls and the toast facilities are still a slow joke. Also, thinnest bread in the World! However, attentive and friendly staff. The spotlessness of the Hotel cannot be faulted. I cannot imagine anyone paying standard rates for this Hotel - I have had much better value at the many B&Bs in Ayr - apart from the Club facilities obviously. So, don't pay full rate unless you are on a business account and don't mind paying over the odds in a 3* hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikoGlasgow

Dear Guest,

As a hotel our aim is to exceed our guest's expectations and I am disappointed that on this occasion we have failed to do so.

We find that many town and city centre hotels with a car park will charge a fee and we believe that £2 is a reasonable price for an overnight stay. We also have the benefit of having our car park covered by CCTV cameras.

I understand your comment regarding not having WiFi in the rooms. We do have free WiFi in the lounge area currently and am I pleased to say that we are looking into getting WiFi available in the rooms in the future.

The Mercure Ayr Hotel is a completely non-smoking hotel and any guest that is caught smoking in their rooms is fined accordingly.

I have passed your comments on to the chef regarding your experience at breakfast and would also like to offer my apologies. If breakfast has been very busy it can be the case that an item may run out and not be available but not to the extent that you mention. We have invested in a new toaster which will hopefully help.

On the whole I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us but I am glad that you found the team to be both friendly and attentive.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is minutes from everything you need in Ayr, and close to the bus station (which is a bonus for those with no car). We have stayed there twice, the second time we had a room with seaviews, which made a huge difference.
Most staff are pleasant and helpful, with the odd exception (one of the managers was a bit aloof, but I guess that's management staff for you!).
Rooms were adequate. The decor is fairly typical of a chain hotel....not exactly inspired, but are very clean. Both rooms we had had minor problems, which don't spoil a stay, but are annoying (neither of the fans in the bathrooms were working, one bathroom door didn't lock. window in one room didn't open. etc.).
We enjoyed the pool, which was actually warm enough for me to swim in (I find most public pools too cold), which was fantastic, but I wish they wouldn't insist on all children being thrown out of the pool at 7p.m., which I felt was unfair. My son and I were having a great time in the pool. and we had to leave at 7pm, even though it was completely empty. Many people (especially children) enjoy a swim after a days activities bustling around town, and 7pm is just not late enough for it to stay open. (Even 'barring' kids after 8pm would make a difference).
My main gripe about the hotel is the food. (Though we did not have breakfast - just other meals and snacks). The sandwiches were OK (if extortionate), but the hot food left a lot to be desired. I made the mistake of ordering chilli con carne from room service one night, and that night I basically went hungry, as the meal was inedible. Way, way, WAY too spicy (even though I'd made a point of asking and making it clear I did not want this), and horribly dry. Honestly - one of the worst meals I've ever had, and I paid over £12 for it. Oh yes, and no cutlery! I could have complained, but I honestly couldn't be bothered with the hassle (plus I has the overwhelming impression that any complaint could turn into a nightmare scenario and be very stressful).
I have to admit, however, the hotel is good value (apart from the food), and we will probably return - we just won't eat there!

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are definately preferable if you can get one. Higher floors obviously have better view...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank aronsmum

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel.

At the Mercure Ayr Hotel we strive to exceed our guests expectations and I am sorry that in certain areas of your stay we have failed to do so.

We ask children to vacate the pool by 7pm on Health and Safety grounds and this is common for many clubs. I do appreciate your comments regarding this but we feel that this is an appropriate time.

I am disappointed to hear that you had issues regarding the food as this is an area that we receive many compliments. Your comments have been relayed to the Chef and Restaurant teams to ensure that the issues you experienced are not repeated.

I would advise any guest that has any issues regarding their stay to bring these to our attention so that we can rectify them as quickly as possible. The team are are often praised for their friendliness and approachability.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Ayr.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Staff so friendly, breakfast amazing...but you need to get a new toaster. A very long wait on your toast....and it only toasts on one side....you have to put it back in again. Apart from this small detail...the hotel was first class.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank yvonne s
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel, it is always a pleasure to hear such positive comments.

You will be pleased to hear that the toaster situation is being dealt with and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Lindsay Steele

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
2 mi away
Travelodge Ayr
Travelodge Ayr
#9 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Mercure Ayr Hotel? Share your experiences!