“Average hotel in a great location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
dunblane
“Average hotel in a great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is minutes from everything you need in Ayr, and close to the bus station (which is a bonus for those with no car). We have stayed there twice, the second time we had a room with seaviews, which made a huge difference.
Most staff are pleasant and helpful, with the odd exception (one of the managers was a bit aloof, but I guess that's management staff for you!).
Rooms were adequate. The decor is fairly typical of a chain hotel....not exactly inspired, but are very clean. Both rooms we had had minor problems, which don't spoil a stay, but are annoying (neither of the fans in the bathrooms were working, one bathroom door didn't lock. window in one room didn't open. etc.).
We enjoyed the pool, which was actually warm enough for me to swim in (I find most public pools too cold), which was fantastic, but I wish they wouldn't insist on all children being thrown out of the pool at 7p.m., which I felt was unfair. My son and I were having a great time in the pool. and we had to leave at 7pm, even though it was completely empty. Many people (especially children) enjoy a swim after a days activities bustling around town, and 7pm is just not late enough for it to stay open. (Even 'barring' kids after 8pm would make a difference).
My main gripe about the hotel is the food. (Though we did not have breakfast - just other meals and snacks). The sandwiches were OK (if extortionate), but the hot food left a lot to be desired. I made the mistake of ordering chilli con carne from room service one night, and that night I basically went hungry, as the meal was inedible. Way, way, WAY too spicy (even though I'd made a point of asking and making it clear I did not want this), and horribly dry. Honestly - one of the worst meals I've ever had, and I paid over £12 for it. Oh yes, and no cutlery! I could have complained, but I honestly couldn't be bothered with the hassle (plus I has the overwhelming impression that any complaint could turn into a nightmare scenario and be very stressful).
I have to admit, however, the hotel is good value (apart from the food), and we will probably return - we just won't eat there!

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are definately preferable if you can get one. Higher floors obviously have better view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank aronsmum
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at the hotel.

At the Mercure Ayr Hotel we strive to exceed our guests expectations and I am sorry that in certain areas of your stay we have failed to do so.

We ask children to vacate the pool by 7pm on Health and Safety grounds and this is common for many clubs. I do appreciate your comments regarding this but we feel that this is an appropriate time.

I am disappointed to hear that you had issues regarding the food as this is an area that we receive many compliments. Your comments have been relayed to the Chef and Restaurant teams to ensure that the issues you experienced are not repeated.

I would advise any guest that has any issues regarding their stay to bring these to our attention so that we can rectify them as quickly as possible. The team are are often praised for their friendliness and approachability.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Ayr.

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Staff so friendly, breakfast amazing...but you need to get a new toaster. A very long wait on your toast....and it only toasts on one side....you have to put it back in again. Apart from this small detail...the hotel was first class.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank yvonne s
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel, it is always a pleasure to hear such positive comments.

You will be pleased to hear that the toaster situation is being dealt with and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Accrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

A very good room with a sea view at reasonable rates (£54 B&B). Breakfast usual stuff but only one small slow toaster so always a queue. The location is right in the centre of town. The pub next door had good food at prices less than half the hotel charges. and the bar staff were really friendly. Ayr itself is a bit of a dump and wouldnt go back. There are much nicer parts of Scotland. Would recommend the ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast as a foot passenger for a day trip, went to the Titanic exhibition and looked around city shops all easy to do between sailings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel and I am sorry that you will not be returning to the area.

Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I Booked this through KGB deals. Got bed&breakfast for £45 which was great value for money

Hotel was nice inside. check in was quick and friendly and hotel was located in the centre of Ayr and not far from the beach. Good wee pub next door to hotel called Smiths. The room was nice but the walls were paper thin. I never used the hotel facilities so i couldn't comment on them

The breakfast was ok, it was a buffet style but the layout of the breakfast could be better.
All the warm food was to one side and not spread out so there seemed a huddle of people around this area and there was no eggs and barely any scrambled eggs when we were getting our breakfast.

Overall it is a nice hotel and we had a lovely stay

2 Thank wee_stephy_baby
Dear Guest

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us recently.

The team endeavour to make sure that the buffet is replenshed as often as possible and I am sure that this would have been the case that morning.

I hope that on your next visit to Ayr you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went for 3 days 2 nights B n B at the Mercure Ayr Hotel fantastic bargain lovely clean rooms and great help yourself full Breakfast, well worth it. Nice pleasant staff, n that really makes it for me.Ayr was a quiet place not much to do, but nice few chilled days away.

Room Tip: we had 359 and 360 very quiet and clean
Dear Guest

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and do hope that you will allow us to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stopped here for a one night stay with an Online deal.
It's is siutated in a good location for the centre of Ayr and aslo for the seafront.
We found the hotel quite easliy and parked nearby but on reporting to reception we were told the hotel's car park was at the rear and the charge of £2 for guests was more than reasonable.
We had a room on the 3rd floor at the rear of the hotel and not sure what we missed if we were at the front as there are a few streets of houses before you get to the sea so no complaint there.
We thought their restaurant prices for evening meals were a little expensive, so we ate out.
The room itself looks quite new with dark modern open wardrobe and headbord and a dressing table with mirror.
There is a kettle and tea bags etc for making a drink in your room. The bathroom and shower were all fine too.
If I had to pick fault about the room it was that we used all of the pillows provided but did find that they were rather flat so we ended up with some towls underneath for added height - never the less we had a good night's sleep and no disturbance from any corridor noise or anything,
Breakfast was fine with juices and cereal and good quality bacon and sausage, black pudding and hash browns.
As an earlier reviewer pointed out the Toast machine was so slow that we didn't bother trying to make any. Perhaps another toaster, or better still bring some to the table with the ordered tea?

1 Thank Topbloke180
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

I am glad that on the whole you had a positive experience of the hotel. On future visits to the hotel please do not hesitate to request further pillows as the team will be more than happy to arrange this for you and ensure a more comfortable stay. You will also be pleased to know that the toaster issue is being rectified.

I hope that you will allow us to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Ayr.