“A Brilliant long weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mercure Ayr Hotel

Mercure Ayr Hotel
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Ayr
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A Brilliant long weekend”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Having read the reviews recently added I felt I had to add my own. 3 of us stayed at the Mercure Ayr in July 2012. We each had a double room on the 3rd floor looking out toward the coast. Check in was extremely smooth & Heather, the girl who greeted us on reception was lovely. Our rooms were clean, and a good size, the bathroom was clean with a good size bath and powerful shower. I can honestly say that Breakfast was very good, had full English each morning from the breakfast buffet, and Katey the lady who was serving at breakfast was very polite and made sure we had plenty of coffee (slight hangover). We also took advantage of the full golf simulator they have in the basement of the hotel, where we could practice our swing with a few drinks and out of the elements. All in all, we had a great time here, and would definitely go back. Smiths' (pub) next door is brilliant and literally 30 secs from your room (ideal for the more challanging walk back) with friendly locals and great food also. The hotal is so close to the beach it makes it ideally situated, and equally it is not far from the train station either. Top hotel, very nice staff and good location, will be going back 100%

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Smithens
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. It is always pleasing to hear such positive comments and acts as an encouragement to the team.

The hotel is ideally situated for those 'challenging' walks back due to it's central location within the town.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and will be sure to have the Golf Simulator ready for your arrival!

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed at Mercure Hotel, Ayr for 1 night following a day at the races. On arrival no one available at reception for checking in & had to wait a few minutes. Had booked a double room but bed turned out to be 2 singles pushed together with a gap in the middle. Room was hot & had to open window during night as no air con. Bathroom in need of some TLC - broken floor tiles and paint peeling off the ceiling. Toilet roll holder & towel rail loose on the walls. Hairs in bath & sink. Definitely not worth £100+ a night

• Stayed August 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Hotel Ayr for 3 nights from Wednesday to Saturday. We travelled as a young family (my wife and our 2 year old son). We stayed here in Jan 2008 when it was a Ramada Hotel, we liked it so much we decided to stay here again. The location of the hotel is great, a straight walk to the beach, very close to town etc. This time we were so disappointed with the hotel, that we decided we would never stay there again! This is why (PS it sounds like a long rant, but if Ayr wasn’t such a nice place with great locals, this would have been an awful holiday)

The housekeeping member of staff that we had on the 6th floor was lovely, friendly and very helpful, every other member of staff we encountered left more to be desired, the lady on reception on our first two days was ultimately the rudest member of staff we encountered.

Vouchers
We stayed using a KGB voucher, apparently worth £450 (i.e. £150 per night) if this is what we were paying, on arrival, we would have left immediately and found somewhere else! This is all the things that were wrong or went wrong:

Before buying the voucher, my wife rang the hotel (spoke to a man) and asked if our son would be included in the voucher and would he be able to have a travel cot setup, she was told this would be fine. After buying the voucher, she rang the hotel to book our stay, and was told by another member of staff (female) that our son would not be included and that a standard room would only sleep two. What she had been previously told was incorrect, and to remedy this, we would have to be upgraded to a family room. On arrival, we found that we had been put into a very small twin room! I went to ask at the reception, and spoke to the lady on the front desk to explain the situation. In a very non-apologetic manner, she said that they would never guarantee a family room on a voucher, that there were other rooms available that night, she also said that for family room we should have bought two vouchers (suggesting that a family room costs £300 per night!). The next morning we asked if we could pay the difference and upgrade our room, again we were told they were fully booked. The hotel, obviously need to look at their policy regarding bookings through vouchers. Also be aware that you will get a small room.

Rooms
The hotel has not changed at all (apart from the signage) , the décor, the beds, the reception, the bar, the chairs in the restaurant, everything is the same 6 years later! Its all very dated.
The room was basic, and fairly clean, although there was a random pillowcase just thrown over the back of the chair in the room!? The kettle is a very slow boiling one, the hair dryer was good. The room had a trouser press, and iron, a small flat screen TV, and internet available (for a charge) through the TV or wired for a laptop (no Wi-Fi in the room). The bathroom was very dated as well, energy saving lights that are so dim to start with, and take a few minutes to build up. Mildew on the sealant around the bath, and a shower head that has seen better days.
The beds in the bedroom were twinned divans, they could be attached to each other with a bit of effort, however my son still managed to get his foot stuck between the beds. On our request a travel cot was brought up. There is complimentary tea and coffee, two of each (coffee, decaff, tea, fruit tea, sugar, sweetner and brown sugar) however only one of each of the semi-skimmed and whole milk (if two of you take semi-skimmed you will need to ask for more from housekeeping!)
The room service menu is extortionate! (Fish and chips £12.50, chicken tikka masala £14). Luckily, there is a noodle bar around the corner, that does excellent food, a place opposite which is a bit pricey, but still cheaper than the hotel (Saffy’s) which will pack food to go, and the Smiths Pub next door, which does excellent food, and has a fantastic service (frequented by locals).

Breakfast
Breakfast on the first day was ok, we got there about 9am (finishes at 9.30am), we asked for vegetarian sausages (which are on the buffet menu, but they didn’t have any, nor the next day, or the day after that). The toaster takes such a long time to toast one side of the bread, make sure you do this before getting the rest of the hot breakfast, as it will get cold while your waiting for the toast. The menu also states yoghurts etc.. none of which were there, and “freshly baked bread” means whichever thin sliced bread they get delivered (or bought from the supermarkets)

The second morning was nothing short of disastrous. We arrived at 9.10am, and were told to take a seat in the bar as they were busy and it would take three minutes to be seated(by a member of staff trying to be helpful). After seeing two groups of people arrive after us and be seated before us, I went back up to ask, to find out they had taken names of other guests but not us. Eventually seated we went up to get breakfast, as it was now after 9.30am, the kitchen had stopped making, on the hot breakfast they had run out of mushrooms, tomatoes, and beans, still had no veggie sausages (this meant that there was no hot breakfast option for a vegetarian – bit harsh if you were paying £150 per night!).Also it’s a bit unfair to keep your hotel guests waiting for a table until the kitchen closes, and then tell them whatever is left on the counter is all that there is! (They wouldn’t even just heat up a couple of tins of beans!)

On the third day where we were told to sit, we found shards of broken glass on the seat. So we informed a member of staff and were moved. However, the seat with the broken glass was not removed, and we had to intervene when a mother and her young son were about to sit there to have their breakfast!
Leisure
I went for a swim on two days. The Jacuzzi is decent, the swimming pool is small and oval, though nice. The area is very dated, letters missing of the sign that says “constant depth”, broken tiles around some of the other signs. The steam room has plastic seats, like and American McDonalds in the 80s. The locker room was grotty, the showers are rubbish (two out of three working) there isn’t a swimsuit dryer. Also you have to take towels from your room, and then request fresh ones when you get back. They could at least change the towels at the gym to save you lugging a wet towel around the hotel!

Hotel
Parking at the hotel is also shambolic, the car park spaces get very full, very quickly, then people start parking randomly in the car park, included blocking the passage way to the car park. We were unable to wheel our suitcase though the cars and had to carry it narrow way between the cars, at the same time, a lay with a pram, had to try a number of routes between the cars until she would a way to get through to the hotel. They also charge £2 per day to use the car park.

The best thing about this hotel is its location in comparison to the beach, and the town centre. Apart from the member of housekeeping we encountered, every other member of staff as at best poor, with the girl on reception being just plain unhelpful! With my family I would never stay here again, or recommend it to anyone. (not even worth what we paid on the voucher). We will visit Ayr again, just not stay here

The hotel company really needs to get their act together: Train staff appropriately on voucher deals so as to not give contradictory information. Update the décor, not just the signage! (most people would have decorated their house at least one in this time period!). Install Wi-Fi in the rooms so people with smartphones and tablets don’t have to trek down to the bar to use the internet! – and in this day and age, they could make this free (especially if they are charging £150 per night for a twin, or £300 per night for a family room).

Room Tip: If you have to stay here because you have no choice, request a room facing the sea, not the car park...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Prady
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations. Needless to say your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments.

With investment planned since the change of ownership, refurbishment of many ares of the hotel are planned over the coming years.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Lindsay Steele

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Uphall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Having contacted central reservations and being advised that they don't send e-mail confirmations we booked a double room for 4 August a few months ago. After arriving at the hotel it appeared that central reservations had given the wrong date. The only room available was a single occupancy which was far from adequate! The leisure facilities were grotty, pool was tiny, our room, which was also tiny, had a broken showerhead. We called reception who sent a maintenance man who wedged the showerhead in place with cardboard! Given the circumstances the staff were okay, manintenance and housekeeping attended to us promptly and the reception staff were efficient. At breakfast we were shown to our table but no-one approachedtus to ask if we wanted tea or coffee. We had to ask a waitress halfway through breakfast. I don't know what the staff were doing. I'm in the process of complaining over the dates but to be honest, wouldn't go back. 3 stars? Must have scraped that as I'm sure I've stayed at nices 2 stars in the past!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris P
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. As a team we strive to exceed our guest's expectations and I am sorry that on this occasion we have failed to do so.

Had the hotel not been so busy, we would have made every endeavour to correct the mistake with your booking and allocate you the room you originally booked through central reservations.

I can assure you that the showerhead was fixed in this manner simply as a temporary measure until the Maintenance team could attend to it the following morning.

The comments within your review have been taken on board and I have passed them on to the relevant departments within the hotel.

west lothian
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have just returned from a two night break at the Mercure Ayr Hotel. The hotel staff were all very helpful and the hotel is in a fantastic location for shops resturants and the beach. The only think i can fault is that the room was far to warm as there is no air conitioning,however i did call the reception and they did send a fan up to the room but unfortunatly this did not help. We booked a movie at a cost of £6.99 but the quility of the picture was very poor so we did not watch it, as we had already phoned reception for a fan we did not want to call again and complain about the movie. On checkout i did say to the girl on reception about the quility of the movie and she said if we had called at the time they would have been able to help but unfortunatly she could not do anything about it then. I will def return to this hotel in the very near future. This is my 3rd stay at a mercure hotel and feel it is good value for money when you get the offers. Thank you will return very soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest

Many Thanks for your feedback, I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us. The team at the hotel pride themselves on making your stay as enjoyable as possible and nothing is ever too much trouble.

I am sorry that there seemed to be some interference with the movie you were trying to watch, but please don't hesitate to contact reception as they will be only too happy to help try resolving the situation.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

London
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here on the way back from Prestwick Airport and it was ok but not worth the 4 stars it has. A bit like the setting of a Wetherspoons. I kept thinking that I was in a pub and the downstairs definitely gave me that feel. The room was o.k - it was very clean but quite basic and I've stayed in far better for the price. I wouldn't choose it again unless I was really pushed and couldn't find anywhere else. The breakfast was good but I think the price tag just isn't worth it unless you can find a deal, even then I'd hesitate!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LondonFinchley
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. We continually strive to exceed our guest's expectations and I am sorry that we failed to do so on this occassion.

The bar area is situated along with the reception and restaurant on the open plan ground floor and this is possibly why you felt the way you mention in your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast though.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was the Ramada until recently and I stayed there a few times. I must say very little has changed, same old carpets and bathrooms and no air conditioning. The only change I could see were in the prices charged in the restaurant, very expensive although the menu was extensive. We decided to eat elsewhere as Ayr has an abundnace of good restaurants/pubs. We had a lovely stay in Ayr as always, I would recommend the town for a stay for families, couples and anyone else who wants to chill out in a lovely atmosphere. The hotel was fine, not great, but ok for a weekend break. I used my Tesco vouchers and stayed free. The car park tends to fill up very quickly so I would try and arrive as early as possible if taking your car.

Room Tip: A room at the back as the front has heavy traffic
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dr0dden
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Guest

As you say the hotel has changed ownership since your last stay with us.
Along with ourselves a further 25 hotels were re-branded as Mercure. Their is significant investment planned over time throughout all the hotels to refurbish many areas and bring them in line with the rest of the Mercure brand.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Ayr.