“great location”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
scotland
“great location”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Lovely hotel all staff very helpful, nice large bedrooms when made internet booking we booked a sea view room but unfortunatly we didnt get one but next time hopefully we will. Hotel is in great location with lots of night life around about if thats what your looking for. All in all a good hotel all round will certainly be back to stay

• Stayed January 2012
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valued review. We continually strive to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. I am sorry that we were unable to allocate you a front facing bedroom however on your return we will ensure you are given a sea view. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Lindsay Steele

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Scotland
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed at the hotel with my sister--in-law for a short winter break at a great rate from the hotel's own website.

The hotel is easy to find although they charge guests to park (Badge Holders are exempt from this) although parking is at a discounted rate. The two receptionists on duty were particularly welcoming and friendly and we were quickly allocated a room on the top floor with glorious sea-views. The room was very clean although we needed more pillows which were delivered quickly.

The one disappointment over our trip was that due to very bad weather the hotel had closed off their front door and guests were using the side entrance. This was fine during the day but when we returned early evening, it was very dark and the lighting at the side of the hotel was not working. Unfortunately the ground is just a little uneven (not much) but she managed to find a little divet and went down like a ton of bricks on her ankle. The staff could not have been more helpful and took a note of this and also placed a "warning cone" over the rough patch of ground. This was only an issue because there was no lighting working outside.

Later in the evening (after resting her foot) we needed to venture out to eat (the hotel restaurant was completely empty so we would have felt a little uncomfortable eating there), we asked to use the front door and the staff were happy to open this up for us and also telephoned for us (at their suggestion) to find out if a local restaurant would still be open. Sadly it was not and we had to settle for the most disgusting food from a nearby take-out. If we had thought about it, we probably could have and should have had room service.

Must admit to being a little disappointed not to hear from the hotel to enquire after my sister-in-law after her fall. Not expecgting anything from the hotel just a caring attitude and an assurance the light was now working.

Overall though, would recommend the hotel very highly as the staff are extremely helpful and friendly and the rooms with a view are well worth paying a premium for.

Would I return....yes I would but only through the front door or a well lit side entrance.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor sea view rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel. I am pleased that you found my staff to be very friendly and helpful. I do hope your sister in law has made a full recovery and I apologise that you were not contacted by the hotel after your stay to check on your sister in laws progress. I can assure you that the lighting at the side of the hotel has been repaired. I do hope you use our hotel again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Had a lovely overnight here. Staff were very attentive, room was spacious and clean and dinner and breakfast were fab. Wasn't a problem for the chef when I requested something different.
Location is also great here, everything within walking distance. Will be back.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Lulu0220
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valued review. We continually strive to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable . We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The staff were great and very friendly, the food was good, but the rooms and bathrooms are old and dated. The room I had was fitted with double glazing, however the window didn't fit the whole and the wind and cold in the room was very loud and chilling.

If you want a hotel in the centre then great, but not the best !

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris B
Lindsay S, Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel. I am pleased that you found my staff to be very friendly and you enjoyed the food. I would like to apologise that you did not feel the rooms matched your expectations. I would like to assure you that we have taken your comments regarding the rooms and the windows on board. I do hope you use our hotel again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Lindsay Steele

Travelers are raving about these Ayr hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed January 9, 2012

nice location. nice view.
we couldnt use the front door because of strong wind but real door is not far at all.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsay S, General Manager at Mercure Ayr Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your comments.

I am glad you enjoyed the location and view from the the hotel. Unfortunately it is occasionally necessary for us to lock the front doors due to excessive high winds. These occasions are very infrequent and at this time we ask our guests to enter and exit the hotel via the back doors. I do hope this did not cause you too much inconvenience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Many Thanks

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 day New Year break at this Hotel, where 140 people attended. From the minute of booking in till the time we left, the staff were very polite and helpful. Considering the amount of people the 3 course evening meal every night was always piping hot and served efficiently. Our bedroom was very comfortable, and the facilities very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a venue for a large party of people and also for individuals.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jane F
Dear Jane,

Thank you very much for your good review. We strive to deliver excellent service to our guests, and I am delighted that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Summerside, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed overnight at the Mercure, and the room was clean and comfortable. The staff was extremely nice and accommodating. We had a couple drinks at the bar in the lobby and returned for breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was a buffet with a fair choice of foods. We loved the location as it was a short walk to pubs, shopping and restaurants. It was good value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple