“Excellent overnight stay”

Enterkine House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Ayr
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for one night away to relax and get away from it all which was not far away from home. Having booked one night dinner, bed and breakfast we were really looking forward to the break. The whole experience met and often exceeded our expectations. We received a very warm welcome, were allocated a lovely room overlooking the countryside and spend the afternoon sitting outside in the garden enjoying the sun and peaceful surroundings. The evening meal was excellent, well presented with attentive service at all time. The breakfast was also very good and it was nice to have eveything brought to your table rather than the usual buffet of juice, cerial etc. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and will return.

Room Tip: The Ovall Room was very spacious with excellent views of the countryside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angusmack66
There are newer reviews for Enterkine House Hotel

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We booked a one night stay with bed, breakfast and afternoon tea and also decided to have dinner in the evening. We paid an additional £40 to stay in the beautiful wooden lodge.
The lodge surpassed our expectations by a country mile; it was luxuriously decorated and equipped and felt really special. The bed was superbly comfortable and no attention to detail had been missed.
Our afternoon tea was delicious with home made cakes that were of the highest standard; it is the first time I have tasted carrot cake that makes you go mmmmm and then wow. Delicate éclairs and the most indulgent coffee chocolate gateaux. The sandwiches were delicious too and cut into bite sized fingers. This proved to be nothing compared with the evening meal. The dinner we enjoyed is the finest meal I have had in a long long time, possibly ever. The selection on the menu was so varied that it would cater well for most palates and I struggled to choose. We were given some wee treats as we looked at the menu which were haggis bon bons and wee ratatouille tartlets, both served warm and we new we were in for a fine meal. I started with a tian of smoked salmon with chilli pineapple, langoustine and quails eggs, amazing. This arrived covered with a glass cloche that when removed released a smoke that meant that the starter engaged all the senses. My wife had a goats cheese soufflé; I never knew a goats cheese soufflé could taste so good. The mains were fillet of beef for my wife and venison for me, both cooked to perfection and bursting with flavour. These were accompanied by beautifully cooked vegetable selections including celeriac dauphinois and red cabbage amongst others.
Dessert- A raspberry macaroon with fresh raspberries a lemon curd filling and clotted cream ice cream with crushed pistachios. Having lived in Scotland for 20 years I know that they grow the best raspberries in the world, these were the best of the best, they tasted like raspberries should.
I am rambling on so I will just say that the breakfast was great too.
This was altogether a wonderful experience and was enhanced by OUTSTANDING service. Without exception the staff went out of there way to help and make our stay a joy. Colin on the desk provided us with printed directions to a selection of places we wanted to visit and they have also agreed to post me the Golf umbrella which I left behind. TRY THIS HOTEL, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Try the woodland lodge, well worth the extra.
2  Thank Bryan S
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took our 5 year old niece and two dogs to stay for an overnight courtesy of an itison voucher deal.
Right from driving up to the hotel, enjoying the gardens, the scenery, checking in, our massive room with big bathroom and comfortable bedding which guaranteed a good nights sleep, to our dogs being contempted, to the breakfast and checking out, everything was fantastic and highly recommend it.

The only nag : Ryan air fly directly over this hotel on their approach to Prestwick. And the noise can be quite loud sometimes. Shame.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have stayed at most of the well known hotels around the Ayr area over many years and decided to try a place we had not previously visited. For so many years we have missed out on this delightful hotel ! From the moment we arrived it was a pleasure. We had a room in the main house - large, well furnished with a huge bathroom. Only criticism, really more of a suggestion, the room was adequately large enough for a small couch and a comfy chair then call it a mini suite
Dinner was excellent with food prepared and presented to a high standard and stood up to any of the hoipoloi places we often go to in Edinburgh. The wine list was reasonably priced with no surprises. Breakfast was equally as good
We would recommend this hotel and restaurant to anyone looking for a typical country house hotel

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I spent a fantastically memorable evening at Enterkine House, having lived 12 years in the local area yet never finding the right opportunity to visit. I wish we had gone before.
The setting, on what was a beautiful summers evening, was stunning with glorious long views across the valley and fields. We sat in the garden and chose our menu whilst sampling some excellent nibbles, trying desperately to work out what was in each for future dinner party fare! Seated in the corner of the restaurant overlooking our outside spot, we were treated to an aperitif course of scallop in its shell on a bed of sea salt; very tasty and again trying to work out how the chef had kept the froth on the top of the scallop. My wife's risotto main course was the best she had tasted and my venison was perfectly cooked. Her dessert of chocolates was "to die for" and my selection of Scottish cheeses served on a slate, along with some truffle honey, were some of the nicest and most varied I have tasted. The wines which we took by the glass for each course were equally of quality. What stood out though was the standard of service from such a young team. Particularly of note was the professionalism of Fiona, Owen and Cameron throughout the evening to a standard which I have not seen even in the likes of London - and I have eaten at some fine restaurants. The white-gloved service was not for show and the personality of the team stood out in all aspects of the meal. Having Fiona (manager) stop by and ask how we had enjoyed the evening gave us a chance to express our delight first-hand but truly this is a class apart from anything in the immediate area - and in many cases, the country. Well done, keep it up.

2  Thank MBothwell
Reviewed July 6, 2013

w ent here for my birthday thinking just another hotel, wow this place is speciall!! we stayed in the little room away from the hotel, the view was fab, and looking at the geese and cows and we had amazing weather sat outside with a bottle of champers and had the most amazing birthday, the girl elsbeth couldn't do enough for us and the breakfast was lovely, cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: ask for the rooms away from the big hotel
1  Thank weeali40
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I have been here a few times for meals and stayed over once or twice in the main house. We have never been disappointed.

On this occasion I attended a business breakfast meeting with a local business group. This included a tour of the hotel and facilities.

As usual, it was first class and I would recommend this establishment for its restaurant, it's unique bedrooms and for parties and events in its permanent marquee.

Room Tip: We have only stayed in the main house and the rooms are spacious with great views over the countrysi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bob T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayr
Western House Hotel
Fairfield House Hotel
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to Enterkine House Hotel? Share your experiences!