“A breath of fresh Ayr.”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is located in Ayr in United Kingdom. ta
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Last week my friend and I went to the Kashmir Restaurant in the Sandgate, Ayr. The £11.95 menu each, for two people, consisted of Poppadoms, Pickle, Mango Chutney and Spicy Onions. The Spicy Onions are made by a Brummie, whose name is Tony, who is both very knowledgeable and chatty, and who prepares these delectable portions to an old family recipe. The sharing platter starter for two consists of Chicken Chat, Chicken Pakora, Vegetable Pakora, Mushroom Pakora, Chicken Puri and a mixed Salad. The atmosphere at the Kashmiri is very user and family friendly. The owner even goes by the name of "Happy". Add three main courses to this meal along with Rice and Nan Bread, and this was well worth £11.95 each. The three main meals we ordered were Minced Lamb Masaledar, which my friend thought very authentic, my Kashmiri mixed curry was a bit drier than I thought it would be, but this was the way the curry was meant to be. I just tried to venture out of my comfort zone. The Butter Chicken however was well within my comfort zone. It was buttery, (as the name suggests), creamy, and in a word, gorgeous. Heaven on a plate. The Peshwari Nan was like all Peshwari Nans Red and Sweet in the Middle. Add deserts and drinks and the bill came to just over £20.00 each. The decor is very "Indian", and the staff are all attentive and friendly. The toilets, are very clean, although be prepared to climb another two flight of steps to get there. All in all, I would recommend this eatery to everyone that appreciates Authentic Indian Cuisine. What you see is what you get. 5 out of 5.

There are newer reviews for New Kashmir Indian Restaurant

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have eaten at the Kashmir many times over the years, most recently this weekend. The set lunches are excellent value (£2.99 for chicken curry with rice or nan, but you can go for dearer with more choice, starters, coffee/ice cream).

I had one course, and husband and brother-in-law went for three courses. We were also given poppadoms and pickles which weren't mentioned on the menu so were complementary.

The food was very good, as always. We have visited in the evening and chosen from the main menu and it is good too. I would say that the decor in the Kashmir could not be described as swanky......more pretty basic. But you aren't eating the decor, so personally this does not bother me.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I ate here twice on a recent visit to Ayr. The 5-course buffet for £8.99 was excellent, both for the quality of the food and value for money.I also chose from the menu, a lamb karhai boona and chicken punjabi tarka, both very tasty. Service was great and friendly No issues with cleanliness etc. Highly recommend

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is one to avoid! Poor decor, looks tired And dirty! I think we should have run when the menu's were handed to us, they were sticky and dirty, the bar was messy, untidy, the mirrors didn't look as though they had been cleaned in a year! Why anyone would think in the present day competition think that these standards would be acceptable?
Service was slow but very good, food wasn't! Much better Indian restaurants in Ayr!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have started eating here regularly over the last year. It's consistantly excellent. Best by far in Ayr, and so reasonably priced. A hidden gem