“Birthday meal”

Smiths Bar Ayr
Ranked #34 of 207 Restaurants in Ayr
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "It is more predominantly known locally as a bar but also has a lot of restaurant dining space".
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently arranged for a group of 14 of us to come here for my brothers birthday.

The person I spoke to on the phone a few weeks before the meal was so helpful and accommodating and I was really happy with her customer service, sorry I can't remember her name.

We had a table booked for 8pm for 14 people and one extra person turned up, the staff were very helpful and moved us to another table.

My food was nice- chicken tempura and steak pie. I think it's always difficult to please everyone in a large group but most people were happy apart from one who had some sort of plastic string in his gammon steak. He told the waiter and this persons meal was excluded from the overall bill.

Overall I would say a successful night and the best point was the friendly staff.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a superb lunch from the set menu. Portions were the perfect size for anyone with a modest appetite wanting to sample more than one course. I had the mushroom in cream and white wines sauce starter followed by the freshest beer battered fish.

One of our group had the smoked haddock in mornay sauce which was apparently superb. It was topped off with bacon pieces which came as a surprise as it was not mentioned on the menu and would have meant sending it back if I had ordered it. Like many people who are semi vegetarian I do eat fish but not meat.

The desserts here are always excellent and at £2.99 on the set menu also a bargain. Lovely refurb. Nice little beer garden for sunny days. 5 mins from the beach. Parking nearby. Highly recommended. Photos to follow.

Was that helpful? Hope so!

Reviewed May 13, 2018

Wanted to try something different in Ayr and boy did we get it.
My 1 is for the staff for if it wasn't for our polite server I would have given a 0.
We came for an evening dinner on a Friday night. Might of been the wrong time though.
May I quote the website:
1) Freshest,
2) High quality ingredients,
3) Stunning dishes
4) Chef.
I did not see a single one.
I expected to see Gordon Ramsay come out the kitchen to say that it's closed.
Now you might think that I'm being a bit harsh but you had to be there to believe it.
Ok you can't go wrong with Pate or nachos.
Creamy whisky sauce wasn't exactly a sauce.
Monster double burger with rubber onion rings (never asked for them) and I must of missed the garnish as well as two lovely succulent burgers
Seafood pasta tagliatelle was completely tasteless. (almost all left)
Chicken fajitas. Chicken with a chilly sauce over the top!!!! Pathetic. (two thirds left)

Reviewed April 27, 2018

We were staying at the Mercure Hotel which is next door to this pub so we ate hear two night on the trot. The service was first class, the food was excellent and the price for two main courses and two deserts with drinks came to a very reasonable price of £32.00. Well worth trying out.

Reviewed April 24, 2018 via mobile

I have been to Smith's for lunch and their early evening menu.

Always been really good.its been a while since I've been in what's happened

The starters were lovely but the main courses were a big big disappointment.
My brother had his usual fish and chips.

Last time he had this the chips were homemade now frozen and the haddock has shrunk in size

However it was edible unlike mine.

I had the smoked haddock gratin.

Big mistake. The haddock was ok but the mashed potatoes were instant potatoes dry and inedible perhaps if there had been more sauce it might have been a bit better.

At £12 You expect better..

It's a shame as it is nice inside and the staff are nice but the food standards have really dropped so won't be back.much better food available elsewhere in Ayr.

1  Thank sunworshipper012