All reviewsvegan menuhave eaten heregarden roomfirst classlovely lunchcullen skinkbooked a tablesingle roomlovely hotelayr beachwould highly recommend this hotelwell worth a visitfull scottish breakfastblack puddingreturn visittown centrestayed here for one night
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have been to the hotel twice but didnt get the time to post my review as the saying is, its never too late to do the right thing. I must admit the cleanliness of the rooms are matched with high standards of the hotel industry. Location is great its hardly 3 mins walk to the beach. Their restaurant serves gourmet meal, staff is so helpful and completes your experience with a cherry on top. The hotel is run my Mrs. and Mr. Steel they really are great people do chat (if you get time) with Mr. Steel if you love rugby he the the right man with all details of sport. And now something i didnt Like which is truly Nothing at all they know what they are doing and how to provide the best experience to their guests.

Would surely visit very soon....keep up the good work

Room Tip: Corner suites have wonderful view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kapilsingh555
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have visited this establishment twice recently. On the first occasion it was for an early bird dinner within the bar casual dining area which was excellent. My partner had haggis which she loved and I had macaroni cheese which was really cheesy and old fashioned like my mum used to make. The bar is welcoming and comfortable and there is a coal fire which gives a nice feel to the place. On the second occasion we popped in on a rainy Sunday afternoon for a scone and a cafe latte and were sadly disappointed. The coffees are nice but the scones were a disappointment being extremely small and tasteless. Also the jam is of the kind which is in a plastic foil topped container and was of low quality. A shame really because the hotel is way better than that.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hopefultraveller10
Reviewed December 24, 2013

A warm and welcoming hotel. The bedroom ( no 1 ) was warm and comfortable, the en suite clean, with soft towels, the staff warm, courteous and helpful. The full Scottish breakfast was perfect, and on one of the wettest and most windy days of the year, a delight before going out to face the elements. I have one exceedingly minor criticism -the window blind in the bathroom needed cleaning or replacing. But when I visit Ayr again I will certainly be staying here, and for more than the one night. I understand from my niece, and her husband, residents of Ayr, that the dinner menu, which I only glimpsed, is very good - so good that they do dine here with friends, so I have promised that we will come to dine en famille on my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Every year our office Christmas meal has been here. And always good quality food across the board. There's a good selection for a set price menu and the food is served promptly and efficiently. Unlike many 'trendier' establishments in Ayr/Prestwick/Troon diners don't feel rushed to make way for the next lot of diners. The bar is cosy with a lovely real fire. And the locals mix well with the 'annual invaders'! So a really welcoming atmosphere. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is that some tables can be a tad cramped with staff struggling to get round, as is the car park. And prawn cocktail? Really? Will be back next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Talamhgirl
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The Chestnuts Hotel in Ayr is warm and welcoming. The owners and the staff have worked together for many years and it shows in the warmth of their rooms and their restaurant and bar. The food is excellent too, very well priced! I have stayed in the hotel 3 times now and enjoyed the location of the hotel, close to the beach and close enough to walk to other restaurants and the town center. I would highly recommend this hotel for families and for couples!

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable but there is one room that is larger than the rest and is decorated in a very traditional Scottish form - absolutely loved this room!!! Has a wonderful bay window and a seating area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family