“Good value food, but staff don't smile much!”
Review of New City Cantonese

New City Cantonese
Ranked #117 of 188 Restaurants in Ayr
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Good value food, but staff don't smile much!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We went here the other day and were given the lunch time special menu of three courses for £7.50. This looked great, but I did immediately notice there were a lot of items with supplements, including chicken & sweetcorn soup, which I found strange. I opted for the cream of chicken soup and this was nice. The chicken in it was in very small cubes. The soup was not nearly as good as the five star in Kilmarnock, but an adequate starter. For main I had chicken satay with fried rice. This was really nice and I liked the mix of vegetables through the dish. You have the choice of chips, fried rice or boiled rice. Most of us seemed to enjoy both courses and despite the restaurant being fairly busy all dishes were served very quickly with the staff members working hard. However, most of them seemed either incapable of smiling or really unhappy at their work. For dessert I had the apple tart with cream, which turned out to be a hot Mr Kipling apple pie. I was full anyway and enjoy these anyway. Other puddings included chocolate gateaux, various fritters, but I could see they used to include chocolate fudge cake, but have tippexed this off the menu. The staff members kept us well watered throughout and the manager was friendly and I got the impression he would happily keep the place open all night as long as we were buying drink. Overall a decent meal and very good value. Soup was also served with fresh tiger loaf, which I love..

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Mark T

Ayrshire, United Kingdom
“Awful!!!!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time trying here with family and I will never be back. The staff especially the owner need to put a smile on their face...... The food is well below average. Had to laugh at dessert as seen a table on way to toilet full of cakes from Iceland !!!!! 3 courses for £7.50 , would have been better with a sausage roll. I like good food so will NOT be back here. Ps. The toilet stinks of dampness. Sorry but up the quality and stop using Iceland

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kat44a
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Okay”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The first impression of the restaurant was really amazing and it looked fabulous. The food was good although the first course wasn't very big but it was delicious, the second course was nice and the third course was yummy. The price is a little bit expensive for the quantity in the courses although it isn't too bad. I was eating my food and a woman from the restaurant stared at me as if I did something wrong.
We went to pay and they charged us, £5 more pounds so we went and told them that the receipt wasn't right and then they didn't even say sorry or anything. They looked at us in a really nasty face. When we left we said goodbye and they didn't answer back. We are not coming back, the staff are very unpleasant.

Girvan, Scotland, United Kingdom
“They really don't like children”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had an issue here previously when my son was only a baby and tried it again when in with my husband. We went in at the start of lunchtime (all three of us) and the waitress was very unfriendly. Made to sit in the front tables near the door away from all the other customers. The older man that works there is also surly and obviously doesn't like children - well behaved or otherwise!

1 Thank Heather S
Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good food shame about the service!”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went here for dinner with my friend. Started off good and was shown to the table, took our order to which i had spring rolls and sweet and sour chicken. Thee food was good and ok for the price. Problem started when i stood up and realised the back of my thighs were soaking!!! I wasn't happy and said to someone to which they replied the person who had sat on the seat last spilled their drink .......well why sit me there when the seat is soaking????!!!!! They then said to go into the toilet to get sorted so i did, but then they said just take your trousers off and place them under hairdryer. I don't think so as anyone could walk in there so had to end up trying to try them off with paper towels. Not very helpful at all and hardly even got a proper apology! Will NEVER be back again.

1 Thank Aggie1986