“They really don't like children”
Review of New City Cantonese

New City Cantonese
Ranked #117 of 195 Restaurants in Ayr
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Had an issue here previously when my son was only a baby and tried it again when in with my husband. We went in at the start of lunchtime (all three of us) and the waitress was very unfriendly. Made to sit in the front tables near the door away from all the other customers. The older man that works there is also surly and obviously doesn't like children - well behaved or otherwise!

1  Thank Heather S

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Went here for dinner with my friend. Started off good and was shown to the table, took our order to which i had spring rolls and sweet and sour chicken. Thee food was good and ok for the price. Problem started when i stood up and realised the back of my thighs were soaking!!! I wasn't happy and said to someone to which they replied the person who had sat on the seat last spilled their drink .......well why sit me there when the seat is soaking????!!!!! They then said to go into the toilet to get sorted so i did, but then they said just take your trousers off and place them under hairdryer. I don't think so as anyone could walk in there so had to end up trying to try them off with paper towels. Not very helpful at all and hardly even got a proper apology! Will NEVER be back again.

1  Thank Aggie1986
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was our third visit and yet again we really enjoyed the food which was very tasty and in generous proportions.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Myself and a friend have both eaten in here many times over the years and normally love their food however today was an unacceptable experience. We phoned at 4.30, asking when the lunch special ended I was told you needed to be seated before 5 and that was until 7pm. My friend and I parked up, payed £1.20 to do so. With 2 boys at the age of one we walked into new city to be greeted with a grunt and look towards the clock and told the special menu is finished. We then said no it's before 5 and we have just phoned and been told this information, she hesitated and spoke to another employee before saying ok you can come in but we don't have 2 high chairs ( lies ) we have had these plenty of times before! When we said this she then said ok ok and gave us the option to sit right at the front door where people wait to order a take away meal, making us feel like we weren't good enough for their custom and wasn't welcome to dine with others. Might I add there was no one in the restaurant however she did mention a few times that she was preparing for a big booking. Also they are open until 10pm I believe so we could have ordered from the normal menu, she assumed we were in for the special and made it obvious she didn't want us to be there. So in response to her poor offer of the table at the front door we thought thanks but no thanks and walked out! Left feeling disgusted at how any establishment can treat potential customers like that. We will be making a formal complaint!

3  Thank Nicole8344
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We ate here and had the 3 course lunch menu, sorry we ever visited. I ordered chicken noodle soup which consisted of 5 cubes of chicken each measuring 4mm, and 4 long lengths of noodle stuck together, the soup itself was like water. Second course I had chicken curry which was mostly onion, 3rd course I ordered apple fritter and was given banana fritter, I had, had enough by then and complained, then I waited ages for my desert which was served only luke warm. This must be the worst Cantonese restaurant in Scotland or even the U.K. and I have eaten in many, many Chinese restaurants. The lunch menu was £7.50 per head; I could have made what I had eaten for £1.50. They even fleeced an elderly lady. Let me elaborate. This elderly lady came into the restaurant and was obviously not all there, no malice intended. But she couldn’t understand the menu and was given mushroom soup followed by chicken and chips and charged £7.50 + the cost of lemonade; it looked like she only had £10 on her? I must point out that chicken & chips was not on the menu.
I would never eat here again or waste money on the a la carte menu, lunch menu’s are meant to attract customers, I don’t think they understand that, at this place.

1  Thank LairdandLady4