“Really pleasant surprise”
Review of The Hollybush Inn

The Hollybush Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hollybush Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 201 Restaurants in Ayr
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Situated half an hour outside of Ayr. Despite large featureless seating area really wide choice of well prepared Scottish food. All the staff are helpful, friendly and attentive. Had a super family night with great value for money with a 3 course quality meal for £20. Strongly recommend .

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We visit the hollybush at least once a month and the food is always delicious. However on this occasion the food was so good it was worth a special mention. We came for a nye meal and were glad to see they were not forcing a set menu on us as most places do on New Year's Eve. On glancing at the menu it took seconds to realise they had changed it (including each of the starters and mains we both have.) I always get the chicken tempura and my partner always gets the goats cheese to start - both are no longer on the menu. Disappointed at this I asked the waitress when the menu had changed and she explained it tends to change every 6 weeks and that this was the festive menu. I explained my disappointment at the lack of chicken tempura and she quickly said this would not be a problem to ask the chef. My partner decided on the goats cheese tart which he said was delicious and as always my chicken tempura was excellent (this is one of the main reasons we keep going.) My partner had the sirloin steak which was cooked to perfection and I had the chicken and haggis with peppercorn sauce. It was brilliant and I could not pick a fault in one thing. The service as always was very friendly and attentive and it is great value for what you get. Will definitely be keeping this as monthly visit.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Recently was here again on 24th November having been on a few occasions this year including my sons 21st birthday in September and also a business dinner just after. I wonder if they chef has changed? The lady next to me on the most recent occasion ( it was a 70th birthday event ) had steak pie and she said it had tomato in it? She did not enjoy it and left most of it and infact said it was not good at all.
I had a lovely starter of mushrooms in cream and wine which should have been served with a spoon as I had trouble getting the sauce out and in actual fact some bread would have been nice to clean up the sauce however the starter its self was great! For the main course I ordered the fillet of beef with haggis. I asked for medium rare and it was more erring on the blue side but none the less it was very tasty and as usual a great portion. All in all I still enjoy the Hollybush Inn and will definately be back.

1  Thank Chezis21
Reviewed November 29, 2012

From the moment we walked in the service and atmosphere was excellent, the food was of a very high standard.
The staff were very attentive and graet with the kids we had with us.

Will be back again at this wee Gem

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had another great meal at the Hollybush. This time we both had the trio of meats from the Specials menu. We had gammon, chicken and beef, in a creamy peppercorn sauce. The mash was sooth and creamy and the grilled tomatoes were delicious. We didn't have room for any more as we had the usual generous portions. We had 1 soft drink and 1 glass of wine all for a little over £25 - what a bargain.
Won't be long before we're back again.