We stayed at this hotel during its previous incarnation as a Holiday Inn Express and enjoyed it immensely. We were worried that standards might have changed with new ownership but I am delighted to say that we were delighted with what we found. Of course the brighter Holiday Inn décor has been replaced by Premier Inn's dark purples which is acceptable and accentuates the warm welcome. And speaking of warm welcomes, the young lady (dark hair) who was on duty was charming. efficient and kind and without doubt an asset to this company.
The room although not as capacious as other Premier Inns was spotless. The bathroom was gleaming and the bedding and beds were exemplary. On my last visit, I expressed dismay at the appalling TV facilities but this time I was delighted to see brand new Samsung TVs with full Freeview service. Another good feature is that the TVs are, 'governed' to a certain volume level so as to reduced disturbance to fellow guests. Quite a good idea really.
One caution I would offer is that you should not fully close your window because internal ventilation is very poor and you might as I did, wake up during the night gasping for air! The heating system works beautifully (once we got the hang of it). You might also find external noise to be annoying. Boy racers and large trucks regularly hammer past but then, none of this is the fault of the hotel and I'm certain that you would be given a room at the back of the hotel on request.
We didn't eat in the hotel so really cannot comment on the quality but there is a retail park 100 yards down the road with an abundance of food joints. Ayr itself has plenty of excellent restaurants catering to most tastes.
We didn't take breakfast because we felt that at near £9 it was rather too expensive despite the 'all you can eat'. We chose to have a Tesco breakfast which cost half the price.
We paid £29 which was a bargain in anyone's terms. If you are able to book at least a month in advance, Premier Inn almost always offers bargains like this. The regular price of £84 is laughable and anyone who willingly pays this to stay in a budget hotel in the West of Scotland is either desperate or daft!
Finally, be aware that this hotel is quite far from the centre of Ayr and just as far from the Racecourse. Walking would not be an option and I did not see any local buses or bus stops nearby. I think it should have been called, 'Ayr South' because suggesting it is near the Racecourse is an exaggeration to say the least.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The going's always good at the Premier Inn Hotel Ayr/A77 Racecourse. With great road, rail and air links, you'll be living it up or getting down to business in no time. Back a winner at the home of the Scottish Grand National and William Hill Gold Cup. Zip into Glasgow to see the sights. Get into the swing at some of the country's most famous and historic golf courses: Royal Troon and Turnberry. And when all the racing around is done, return to our friendly team, spacious rooms and super-comfy beds. Directions: From the North - join the M8 (signposted Greenock, Glasgow Airport, Kilmarnock). Leave the M8 at Junction 22, then join the M77 (signposted Kilmarnock, Prestwick Airport). Continue forward onto the A77 (signposted Kilmarnock, Prestwick Airport, Ayr, Stranraer). At Dutch House roundabout take the 1st exit onto A77 (signposted Ayr, Stranraer). At Whitletts roundabout take 4th exit onto Heathfield Road (signposted B743, Prestwick). Stay in right hand lane and turn right at the first set of traffic lights just after car showrooms onto Wheatpark Road then take 1st right onto Whearpark Place. Hotel entrance is straight ahead. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Premier Inn, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Premier Inn Ayr A77/Racecourse Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Ayr Hotel Ayr
- Ayr Holiday Inn
- Premier Inn Ayr A77/Racecourse Hotel Scotland