“Lovely bar meal”

Ranked #4 of 207 Restaurants in Ayr
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Lovely family run hotel with 14 en-suite rooms. Freeview / tea & coffee making facilities. Open from 10am serving coffees and Home Baking till 11.30Am...Lunches from 12-4.30Pm, Suppers from 5-9pm. Superb home-cooked food served in the Bar, Restaurant and Beer Garden. BT Sports in the Bar. Selection of Real Ales and Malt Whiskys. Walking distance from Beach, Town Centre, Parks and Golf courses. In the Heart of Burns' Country. Special Rates for Golf Parties. Selection of Supper dishes at a Special rate of £7.95 Between 5pm and 6.30Pm. F
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Arrived at hotel and were shown to our reserved table which was very pleasantly set ina small alcove menus were promptly presented and drinks ordered and delivered again promptly Waitress returned to take orders for food after a suitable delay food came exactly as ordered and all was very tasty if needed staff were immediately available and all were most pleasant
Would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife recently ate here with her work mates so I decided to take her for luch again and apart from very efficient and friendly staff, the food standard is very high and a place to recommend to other family members and friends. Guaranteed to go back again soon.

1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My family and I went here twice during our week long stay in Ayrshire. The first time we took our daughter's boyfriend and his parents. We had a wonderful time. The restaurant is beautiful! The architecture is stunning yet the atmosphere is welcoming - we were casually dressed and it wasn't an issue at all even though the place felt posh. The menu seemed varied. There were dinner specials until 6:00, I believe and what I think was a lighter meal "supper" (which is always dinner to this New Englander) 5-9. My Scottish friend and his American transplant son had haggis which they both enjoyed. His wife (an American transplant) had a chicken dish she really enjoyed, I had chicken stroggenoff (which I had never had) and my husband had beef stroggenoff. Both of these were served over basmati rice instead of egg noodles. My daughter had her ubiquitous chicken sandwich/burger which was a with a twist since it has Cajun mayonnaise. I had a mini trio of traditional Scottish desserts, a lemon pudding, a raspberry merainge and a toffee dish. I enjoyed all of them. My husband had beer/ale type drink he was looking for - the Scottish equivalent of Brittish bitters and found it here in Bellman's and was quite pleased that the waiter knew what he was trying to find. My only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that when I ordered a ginger ale, I was given literally 4 ounces and it was I think 2 lbs 25 p! It was so good the three of us went back a few nights later. When I ordered the Chicken Stroganoff the second time, there was no paprika at all! It was okay, but extremely bland. My husband had the lasagna the second visit and there was very little tomato sauce.

I would definitely give this restaurant a third try but it was a little inconsistent.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I wandered into Chestnuts with wife, 2 children (and partners) + grandchild on a windy day in June after we had been walking by the beach.

We ate around a big round table in the bar. The food was pretty good and there were decent portion sizes. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The whole thing was great value.

This was not a fine dining experience but if you want good honest food at a good honest price in a friendly warm atmosphere then you could do a lot worse.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

called in for light tea and had my father with us who doesn't have a huge appetite - the smaller meals and selection of early bird offer meals was great value. The thai fishcakes are the bestfishcakes I have ever had. Excellent service, nice ambience - we recommend this place to folk when they visit us. Not the weather to sit outside on this occasion but when the sun is out the patio out the back is a wonderful setting.

1  Thank KathrynCarsphairn