“Watermill”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Paisley
Broadford, United Kingdom
“Watermill”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have known this Hotel all my life. I found the recent 2 nights I stayed there excellent modernization improvements noticeable, the staff were incredibly helpful and views over the Abbey amazing used to stay at Travel lodges give me a Hotel with character and heritage any day as opposed to the soulless travel lodges with there broken tellies.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Calum M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there with friends for 2 nights in November. We had a family gathering in this hotel for a few nights in November. We all meet up here as we were told that it was very central as it was indeed. Looking at the hotel it looked lovely as it was beside a beautiful fast flowing river and the setting was lovely. Unfortunately that was the best part about it. We were the lucky ones as we got the honeymoon room on the second floor. It was spacious enough but the floors were so creaky that we thought there were someone in our room during the night. Staff were very nice and helpful and the food was O.K. My friends were all complaining about how small the rooms were and some had heating and others were freezing. The floors in this hotel were creaky in every bedroom and few of my friends got very little sleep. Breakfast was O.K. But it is very unlikely that we would stay there again. It is such a pity as this could be a beautiful place to stay if this hotel could be updated to the twenty first century.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Paisley hotels

Reviewed November 12, 2013

i stayed here at the weekend and i have to say i loved it, staff are very friendly and helpful night porter is a lovely guy so friendly i would stay here again when i'm in paisley yes the floors are freaky but i believe it will be sorted now it has new owners

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mandyjingles
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I see what other reviewers mean about the floorboards! Very creaky indeed!

I asked for a top floor room, and got one, so at least I didn't have anyone creaking above me. I tried my best not to creak for the person below, but it was impossible. Not creaky in the bathroom though.

Room wasn't a bad size, but there were two small single beds. I thought the bed was uncomforable. It was clean (I always strip the sheets off and look) as was the rest of the room and the bathroom.

You would struggle in the shower if you were 6ft as you'd be touching the ceiling. Also in my bathroom, the shower head wouldn't stay in the right position, so I had to hold the shower head whilst washing.

My room was overlooking the weir at the side - there was a fair bit of noise from that, but this did not bother me at all. Only thing was I didn't hear my alarm going off in the morning!

Most of the hotel looks tired - the carpet on the stairs is wearing thin.

As the hotel is fairly large, I think it would a very large amount of cash to bring back to a high standard.

Staff were very good that I saw - breakfast was very good too.

Parking isn't great - the hotel parking is against the building. Beware if you're in other spaces that these belong to the council, and there's a pay and display.

5 - 10 minutes walk from the shopping centre of Paisley. Fairly handy for the Airport and Glasgow.

I was going to give this 2 stars as it needs so much doing to it, but, it is clean, the breakfast is good, and the place is full of character. I'd have gone up to 4 stars, but you're fairly likely to be distrubed by those creaky floorboards unless you're lucky and get the top floor.

A refreshing change from the legions of Premier Inns and the like, though definitely needs work.

Room Tip: Top floor to minimise creaky floorboards.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kevin M
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Please avoid staying here. It is absolutely filthy everywhere you look - carpets are really bad, shower is dirty.

Bedding is disgusting. Awful old smelly blanket & top cover that looks as though it's never been washed. Pillow are grubby & stained under the pillowcases.

Just awful.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank mk104
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a night here as part of a coach tour. Give the Honeymoon Suite - excellent room, very comfortable modern four-poster bed. The view was of the river weir in full spate, very noisy and secondary double-glazing did little to reduce it. The room was very warm although the heating appeared to be off, and due to the noisy river we were unable to open it for ventilation. The staff were very good as were the meals. Other tour members commented that they had the same conditions. That said I wouldn't hesitate to visit again when the river is in normal flow.

Room Tip: Select a room away from the river side.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed at the watermill on 3 occasions over the past few months and I have found it to be very comfortable accomodation with friendly and helpful staff. Ok it could do with a bit of an update to the decor, but when the bed is comfortable, the food is well cooked and reasonably priced and the staff attentive, then it is easy to overlook the fact that the paint could do with a touch up.

I would much rather stay here than in one of the bigger chain hotels that may be pristine but have no unique features or character.

I will be back and would recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Louise_mac2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paisley
Ashtree House Hotel
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Premier Inn Glasgow (Paisley) Hotel
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport

Been to Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!