“I like it”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Paisley
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“I like it”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a night here as part of a coach tour. Give the Honeymoon Suite - excellent room, very comfortable modern four-poster bed. The view was of the river weir in full spate, very noisy and secondary double-glazing did little to reduce it. The room was very warm although the heating appeared to be off, and due to the noisy river we were unable to open it for ventilation. The staff were very good as were the meals. Other tour members commented that they had the same conditions. That said I wouldn't hesitate to visit again when the river is in normal flow.

Room Tip: Select a room away from the river side.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed at the watermill on 3 occasions over the past few months and I have found it to be very comfortable accomodation with friendly and helpful staff. Ok it could do with a bit of an update to the decor, but when the bed is comfortable, the food is well cooked and reasonably priced and the staff attentive, then it is easy to overlook the fact that the paint could do with a touch up.

I would much rather stay here than in one of the bigger chain hotels that may be pristine but have no unique features or character.

I will be back and would recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Louise_mac2
Ventnor, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Booked through the internet, very easily. Just a £7 taxi trip from glasgow airport. A 10 min walk aside a beautiful river takes you to the train station and 15 mins later you are in the centre of glasgow for less than a fiver.
The hotel inside looks a little shabby and tired but the features of the old mill, the building and the view of the river are great.
The price including Full English, cannot be called scottish as no porridge or haggis! was cheaper than the budget hotels and the staff are great, would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: view of the river
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Elderslie
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I had a private function, birthday party at the weekend in the new extension which is very modern and picturesque. Upon ordering our first round of drinks, we were handed warm bottles of beer as the fridge hadn't been stocked prior to the event. The bar staff were questioned as to why they were not prepared given the advance notice of the function and their reply was one that couldn't care less.

Later in the evening I ordered champagne (most expensive one from the wine list) and was handed a warm bottle. I asked for a chilled bottle to be told there was none. I asked for an ice bucket to be told that the restaurant were using them. It was then me who asked for a beer bucket of sorts to chill the bottle rather than staff trying to rectify the issue.

As it was my birthday I spoke to all my guests who complained of the warm bottled drinks issue, so much so that most folk had to find an alternative drink that was cold.

This event was booked by my wife many months ago, I find it hard to believe that a hotel could not sort out something so basic as getting cold drinks prepared for a function.

A few of my family members stayed at the hotel and made comment on the bedrooms being dated and certainly not worth the price paid.

Breakfast in the morning was not worth the visit.

If you are considering a function at this hotel then the function room is very nice, modern and fresh however the bar issue was a significant let down for me.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dwilsoj
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The floors were so squeaky that we could hear the people above us and they served as a wakeup call because of it since the frint staff neglected to give us one even though I requested one. It must have been a pretty hotel years ago but the whole place looks exhausted and worn out. We used this as a place to be close to the Glasgow Airport but stay at Holiday Inn, instead.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I dont belive there is any positive tips I can offer.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElizabethW58

Travelers are raving about these Paisley hotels

Scotland
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Overpriced for what you got, the room was extremely basic, a bit cold, no duvets only blankets, the window was needing painting and the decor was very dated. The shower was tepid and very slow and the shower tray was quite stained. The worst problem though was the extremely loud creaky floorboards in the room upstairs which jolted me awake on two nights running as the guests in those rooms were apparently-on two days running- catching early flights from Glasgow airport. I was woken at 3am on both nights and the racket of floorboards, footsteps and voices did not stop for 3 hours. I wrote and complained about this but did not receive a reply. I really think the room should have only cost about £30 as it was so dire. I actually paid £52 per night but had hardly any sleep in that time! Never again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RPPP
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Clare,

Thanking for reviewing us, although I am very disappointed that you have opted for this.

I have been trying to get hold of you and has left you three voice messages but unfortunately you have not returned my call.

I am sorry to hear that you were cold but had you mentioned this at the time, we could have offered you an extra blanket/duvet or even give you a heater. Our central heating has been off as it has been warm and lovely and most guests found it uncomfortable when the heating was on. However as the weather has changed in the last few days, the heating is back on!

We do ask our guests to be considerate of others by keeping noise to the minimum but as you may appreciate, we cannot control what goes on behind locked doors!

I do appreciate that you have taken your time to review us.
argyll
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here the night before a stay in hospital and the location is good in relation to the train station (10 min walk - probably less if you know what way you are going unlike me!) it was also cheap to get a taxi from here to the hospital.
The room we stayed in was clean and ok. Two single beds, a telly, big mirror, dressing table and chair, bedside table, tea and coffee facility's, nice en-suite bathroom (shower was a bit powerless though)
Never had breakfast so couldn't comment on that. The member of staff we were served by was nice enough too.
To be fair this hotel is fine but is missing some wow factor, there's nothing great to comment on and for this reason I would look for somewhere else for my next stay.
Although like I said there is nothing wrong here it's just a bit bland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mclaffz
Dear Mclaffz,

Thank you for taking time to review us.

We do appreciate the positives you have mentioned about the hotel, and at the same time disappointed that you will be staying again!

We do advertise the hotel as a 3 star, and to be fair, that is what we charge our guests for.

Should you change your mind, you are more than welcome to stay with us the next time you are in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paisley
Ashtree House Hotel
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Courtyard Glasgow Airport
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport

Been to Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!