“Never Again, Kept Awake Until 3.30am By Other Guests. Overpriced.”
Review of Watermill Hotel

Watermill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Paisley
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

The bad points of this overpriced establishment far out weigh the only good point.
Paper thin walls and creaking floorboards meant the guests in the adjacent room kept me awake until 3.30am. Not good when I had a long drive home the next day. Window didn't shut properly and window frame was rotten. Bedspreads seen better days and were a bit threadbare. Only a sheet and a blanket, no duvet. Had problems trying to get the shower to work. Had to crouch down to get under the shower due to low ceiling height. Radiator in bathroom scorching hot and couldn't be turned off. Unbearable hot.
Breakfast was the only good point of my stay, but was marred by stained table linen. The cooked breakfast was delicious. Plenty of other options to choose from if desired. Did notice another guest served something not readily available but this option wasn't given to me. Waitress was pleasant enough.
On check out the receptionist was indifferent and did not enquiry about my stay.
Would never return here.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank morvenscaraben
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Watermill hotel is a grade c listed building with alot of charm and character, which I do appreciate, may not appeal to everyone. Unfortunately, there is nothing much we can do with some low ceilings in certain parts of the building as it is part of the architectural design.

However, had you raised some of the issues at the time of stay, we could have solved them. We are currently using blankets as it has been quite hot, but we have some duvets for guests who need them. I am sorry, this was not brought to my attention as I could have gladly offered a duvet.

Once again, thanking for your time and my sincere apologies thatwe did not meet your expectations at this time.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

A colleague booked a meeting-room for 3 hours. It was more like an interrogation room with no windows, phone line.This would have been bearable but when we decided to break for lunch we ad to interrupt the bar staff who would rather play the fruit machine than serve us or clean the tables which were dirty. That, together with the loud rap 'music' being played meant we didn't hang around for long. This place really needs to up its game as it is in a prime location and it could be a really nice place to meet in Paisley, as there are few nice places to go nearby.

Room Tip: One with a window!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank clare r
Management-Watermill, Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meeting room. Unfortunately, there is nothing much that can be done with the windows as this is a listed building and we are limited by what we can change in the physical structure.

I am disappointed that my staff were busy "playing the fruit machine" when they should have been serving you. This is against the company policy and will therefore will be doing an investigation and taking the necessary actions.

Once again, my sincere apologies on your disappointment on this particular occasion.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the watermill for the first time this month and after reading the reviews I was expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel has lots of character which I loved. Breakfast was good the hot and cold stuff. The only thing they could change is the times cause I like my lie ins and 8 isnt a long lie.
The staff were very friendly and helpful with anything I needed.
The only problem was the cost of the wifi but they have to make money so going to the bar wasnt a problem for me.
I would definitely recommend the watermill as a great oart of paisley.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Italianwoma

Thank you for taking time to review us.

We do appreciate guest feedback as it gives us a benchmark to evaluate ourselves.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

You will be pleased to hear that we do serve breakfast on Weekends and Bank Holidays till 10.00 am and check out is not till 11.30 am.

Once again, many thanks for taking time to review us and we do hope to welcome you to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a great place for a wedding we all had a great time the staff could not have being any better they made it perfect for US we stayed overnight in the hotel the room was great and specious the breakfast was also good , I would like to say thank you to all the staff at the watermill hotel for everything on my daughter and son in laws special day

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely and kind words.

I am pleased to hear that Nicola and Ian had their dream wedding. We are so honoured to have been part of their special day.

We do wish them the very best for the future and please ask them to come and visit us whenever possible.

Once again, thank you for your time and heart warming words.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have stayed at the watermill several times over a 20 year period. A Former Stakis hotel that retains the quality features expected. Rooms décor is tired, but I expect this will be dealt shortly with when the hotel comes out of receivership. Good ambience downstairs with all staff keen to deliver an excellent level of service. Staff resolved an early hours noise issue I had with people in room above.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Brian,

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am pleased to hear that my staff did their best to resolve the disturbance you experienced. My staff take pride in their work and always give 110% in whatever they do.

Once again, thank you for your time and I do hope you get time to visit us in the future and witness all the changes.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had the misfortune to be staying in the watermill hotel for a week , which if as a visitor to Paisley is ideal for the centre of town , the building is an old mill building and has a touch of character with some of the original beams still in place

The rooms are adequate with a good size Tv on the wall , tea and coffee making facilities in the room and a good shower in the room we were in , breakfast was ok as well which is served in the restaurant ( which if your staying through the week is the only time you get to eat in it but more of that later)

WIFI is free in the bar , however as the title of this review states if you want it in your room it costs and if there is more than one person in the room and both want to use the WIFI then im not too sure if you can share the password and would assume it changes every day ... bad idea watermill this is not how to promote your hotel

The menu in the bar is not what I would say extensive nor does it change , so as you can imagine after being here a week it does get rather boring , now this is another failure by the management of the watermill during the week you have to eat in the bar area for lunch and dinner from the same menu every day , the steak pie has room for improvement , at times the gravy was more like water , the sauce for the peppered chicken also could have been thicker , with morrisons only a 5 min walk up the road Im sure some one could have bought the 'chef' a tin of thickening granules

deserts leave a lot to be desired the "sticky toffee pudding" is clearly from a tin and ping dinged in the microwave , it comes with neither ice cream or custard and is dumped on a plate looking rather lost , then we come to the 'vanilla cheese cake with butterscotch sauce' having ordered this and looking quite forward to it , imagine my surprise when the BUTTERSCOTCH sauce turned into CHOCOLATE sauce ..... no difference

also on the menu is a sunday carvery which by the end of the week was looking forward to .. only to be told that they no longer do this , but instead do a sunday lunch priced at 11.90 for 3 courses this turned out to be value for money , however with a wedding on in the hotel at the same time , it seemed that the majoirty of the staff were involved in this much to the detriment of guests who were staying in the hotel that week

I have to say most of the staff were very hard working and pleasant special mention has to go to Stuart who worked in the bar , and never seemed to stop , I have the impression that due to the hotel being in administration the management and the administration company are trying to run the hotel on a shoe string budget

would i recommend this hotel to any one ... doubtful

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review us.

We do appreciate the positive points you have highlighted about the hotel and taken note of the negative ones which we are working on.

We are currently working on providing free WI-FI in all our bedrooms as it is already free in the bar and lounge.

I do apologise that we had a big wedding on and we were unable to offer the Sunday carvery. This is due to the low numbers we had for lunch booking on that particular day .

Once again, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Watermill is a good hotel if you want cheap and cheerful. However it desperately needs modernising in the sense that items like the floor boards move if someone next is moving around. It's very off putting and may freak some people out.

The hotel is an old watermill it's very quaint but certain rooms are very noisy due to the large weir on the river which can be torturous to sleep.

There are no quilts on the beds only blankets

If you want a central hotel in Paisley at reasonable prices then this is for you. But you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Denharry

Thank you for taking time to review us.

Am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your "river view" room. These rooms are very popular with most of our guests but I do appreciate that we all have different tastes and needs. Had this been brought to our attention at the time, we could have offered you one of the front rooms.

Once again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paisley
Ashtree House Hotel
Ashtree House Hotel
#4 of 9 in Paisley
Travelodge Glasgow Airport
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport
Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport

Been to Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!