“Shame it could be so good”
Review of Watermill Hotel

Watermill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Paisley
Fife
“Shame it could be so good”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel is ideally located in the centre of town. For many years it was thought of as a very good hotel. It has gone down hill. The negatives are that it need total redecoration in the rooms and up stairs corridors. Most importantly it needs all the floorboards replaced, everyone in my room had some give in it and I could hear the person in the room upstairs walking across there floor.
Good points are the central location, the friendly staff, the breakfast which is much better than many more expensive hotels and a good size TV in the room.
It needs a total revamp and it could be brilliant. It is a reflection of the town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Allister1960
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us. We value guest feedback as it gives us a benchmark to evaluate ourselves.

I am pleased to hear that you received friendly service. My staff do take pride in their work and give 110 % in whatever they do.

I do appreciate your comment about floorboards, which is currently being looked at and will be addressed soon.

Once again, thank you very much for taking your time to review us and we do hope to welcome you to our hotel sometimes in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the watermill before due to the convenience to the Abbey Mill,Business Centre. The surrounding river views are lovely. The hotel is cheap to stay which is reflective on the room quality and comfort. If you want a good nights sleep, this is definitely not the place to stay unless you are happy to sleep on a mattress with very prominent springs and wobbles like a waterbed. I'm afraid next time I will probably sacrifice convenience for comfort and stay elsewhere and utilise a taxi to travel to where I need to go.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan B

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay this time. As you may appreciate, this is a grade c listed building, with lots of charm and character. We do try to keep up with times by "modernizing" it as much as we can. We have recently changed our mattresses but will re-visit the room you stayed in and if need be we will buy a new mattress.

The hotel is currently planning a major refurbishment and I do hope that you get some time in future to visit us and witness the progress.

Once again, thank you so much for your time and for the review.

Travelers are raving about these Paisley hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst attending a nearby function. Check in was painless and I was given a lovely room with great views over the river. The swans were lovely.
Room had all I needed, although the water pressure in the shower was a little low.
The age and fabric of the building meant that there was quite a bit of noise from creaking floorboards in my room, and from the room above.
Arriving for breakfast fifteen minutes before it finished, some of the hot items looked a little past their best. Some dishes were empty. Management need to look at replacing the serving tongs too - these had been left under the heat lamps and had become dangerously hot to use.
All in all, a great place, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river have great views of the swans
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carlislecat
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your staff with us, right from check in.

I am sorry to hear that some breakfast items had run out by the time you came down for your breakfast. The waiter on duty should have offered you a breakfast menu to choose from, and these items would have been cooked fresh to order. I am sorry this was not the case this time but I can assure you that, our standards is to ensure that every item listed on the breakfast menu is made available to all our guest.

I do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you again to our hotel and experience our full Scottish breakfast.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I do hope you find time to visit us again soon.
Barrow in Furness
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is a comfortable clean hotel right in the centre of Paisley, the staff are very helpful and go out of their way to make sure you way all you need. The building is old so expect a bit of creaking and building noises.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rosemarybuzzacott05

Thank you for taking time to review us.

We do appreciate your kind words as my staff do take pride in their work.

Thank you once again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I used to live in Paisley and the Watermill was my local so it was nice to return.It is excellent value for money,easy parking,comfortable bed,clean and pleasant views over the waterfalls.Staff were all particularly friendly,waiter/barman could not have been more attentive and atmosphere was easy going and relaxed.Only disapointment was my much anticipated steak pie as the meat was awful tough-sorry chef you need to find a new supplier for this choice.Other than that-thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the waterfall if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-Watermill, Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review us.

We delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff as they do work hard and take pride in their jobs.

Am sorry your steak pie was not up to standard this time. We use a highly reputable local butcher for our meats, who I have had a word with and he promises that will not happen again.

Once again, thank you for your time and review and we hope that you get time to visit us again in future and try our "tender homemade steak pie".
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights while attending a family wedding locally. Our party booked 4 rooms, we were all allocated rooms overlooking the river so views were good, all paid the same price but the rooms did vary in size. Our room was the smallest it was well equiped and very clean only draw back was that one side of the bed was about an inch from the wall so no bedside cabinet on that side of the bed and getting up for the bathroom in the night for the person sleeping on that side was a bit awkward. Other rooms in the party were much larger although ours did have bath and shower where as all others just had shower. Beds were very comfortable.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, breakfast was fine with cooked breakfasts cooked to order and it was nice to see good bread being used for the toast not cheap sliced 'plastic' bread.
Didn't eat in the restaurant in the evening so cannot comment about that but some of our party did have a bar meal one evening and said that was good and the bar menu looked well priced.
Over all a good stay and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Breaksaway_10

Thank you for taking time to review us.

My team are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Oor rooms do vary in size, all with different characters, so its great that your family experienced a good number of them.

Once again, thank you for your time and review and I do hope you visit us again soon.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed over at a wedding of my niece and the venue was really good
Nice areas for photos both inside and out and great attention was given by the staff at all times
There were 20 of us staying and we all had a great day and night and there was no pressure to vacate the rooms or premises that you usually get at these venues
Keep up the good work and thanks for looking after my niece and all my family

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Tacklebag1968

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding of your niece. We always strive to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I hope you visit our hotel again in future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paisley
Ashtree House Hotel
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club
Travelodge Glasgow Airport
Premier Inn Glasgow Airport
Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport

Been to Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!