“Xmas party 14/12/12”
Review of Watermill Hotel

Watermill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Paisley
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had our Xmas dinner/night out on the 14th of December , my wife and I decided to stay the night since we were going to have a drink and the price was acceptable as part of the perk of booking the dinner there. When we arrived we checked in and showed to our room, no problems there , the decor and equipment was ok apart from the shower which you had to run with the adjustment of cold and hot constantly to have a shower, but we laughed about it and got on with it. The bar was ok busy and it seemed to be working well although later on the lack of staff caused ques and frustration. Eventually we were shown to our table, somewhat later than advertised, and we were surprised to see that we could not even sit next to each other let along eat . They tried to sit as many on every table in such a way that the people opposite me were eating in turn one eat one sit back one eat and so on. Then two other folk from our company showed up and the lady came over and asked us to put two chairs on opposite sides of the table for the couple to sit, to what speaking on behalf of the rest at the table I declined. The lady was extremely rude, to the effect that she turned and walked away while I was trying to explain the issue we all had. The two folk that had nowhere to sit left and as I found out later on they had gone home .
Meanwhile a company of a lot of lads that were with us and were sitting at the same table for their night out were asked to separate and the hotel staff lady put other folk from another company to sit with the remainder of them yet again squeezing into the space like the rest of us. When the food arrived it was very small portions and cold, apart from the fact you could not eat it from banging at your person next to you arms and plate, the staff however that served us I found acceptable and helpful although most of the night I ordered my drinks from the barman direct which was great.
At the end of the night the bouncers were very rude and treated us like sheep and only when I showed evidence of residency they backed off, is this the way they treat everybody that pays their wages.......
Got up in the morning and had every intention to go for breakfast but on the way downstairs I met my colleagues which said not to bother as it was rubbish so we went to morrisons where for less money we were fed and watered properly and with a smile.
To surmise , having been there once before 20 years ago ,now I know why I never went back all this time, and after the night we had and the way we were treated I can assure you that we will never be there again.
Do not book any Xmas party in this hotel unless you are prepared to lose money, time and your patience and ruin your night.

Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Manuel D
TheWatermill, Sales Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your review.
As it states on the Brochure Party Tables do apply and for some this can be misunderstood.
It might not be to everyones preference and I can assure you sufficient seating is provided to accomodate each and every party. It is however very unfortunate for others if party goers remove chairs from the seating plan taking up additional spaces to the detriment of other guests.
We as a hotel are never rude to anyone and can only apologise if you thought our astonishment at this behaviour came across in this manner. However as a management team who were finding a solution to this problem we felt that the other guests could have cooperated with the original seating plan thus ensuring the inconvenience to the other guests would never have arisen. I am happy to hear you liked the room and am at a loss as to why comments were made about the breakfast at £20 per person Bed and Breakfast we think it was only good value for money. The breakfast is cooked fresh every morning by our chef and served on a carvery unit offering all hot items helping yourself to as much as you like and a continental selection of cold meats, cheese, segments and pastries is all on offer too which in our opinion is excellent value for money.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I felt after negative reviews, that I must share my own experience.
Myself and party of 14 had a great night at the Holywood themed event. Staff very friendly, rooms although a bit tired were toastly warm.... Pre ordered drinks were on tables in buckets and cold.
Food was warm and served as described.... Breakfast was hot and all items as described.

Good value for money in this day of hardship, great night was had by all my party.

Staff, accommodating, fun, happy and eager to please

3  Thank Lucinda D

Thank you for your review which I am delighted to read.
It was just very unfortunate that you had read negative reviews before arriving however I am delighted that you had a good night and everything was to your preference.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

due to all the negative comments about the Watermill Hotel Xmas nights been rotten we were not looking forward to it at all, I would just like to say we had a blast at ours food was good disco was great and the staff were pleasant what more could you ask for so thank-you to the Watermill for a great night.

1  Thank anneRenfrewshire
TheWatermill, Sales Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for your review and am delighted you had a good night.
It is unfortunate that you were subject to very negative comments preceeding your night out however I am delighted you could not find any fault. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Watermill Hotel and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Kind regards
Michelle Kellett-Smith

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Christmas party night with supposed Hollywood theme- what a joke
Where do I begin with the disaster that is a party night at the Watermill? Ballroom setting was not available to us after having been promised. Pre-ordered drinks took 90 mins to be served. As for food, meagre portions of tasteless, awful food some of which owed more to Heinz and Bisto. I have had better school diners. THe manager could not have cared less about the customers. A complete fiasco.
As for Hollywood theme, cardboard cutout does not count as a 'theme'.
Receptionist at desk was very classy stuffing her face with a packet of crisps. Mind you, given the food served in the restaurant, crisps were probably a better option.
Don't waste money on this for Christmas night out- way overpriced for dreadful experience.

Thank you for your review.
I have taken all your points on board and to be honest I am at a loss as to what you have mentioned.
The party night prices have been kept the same for 2 years now and was certainly not overpriced. In addition to the prices being kept the same those who paid their deposit in early September also got a £5 drinks voucher to use on the night, for the majority this was welcomed as very good value for money. Pre ordered drinks are all ready for you on arrival on your table and again I am at a loss as to this being mentioned. I do apologise you presumed you would have been in the Ballroom however I know for sure we do not sell it as seperate rooms it is sold as a venue and no guarantee is given to any guest at any time as to where they will be seated
I personally take the bookings
Thank you once again for leaving your comments.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Reviewed December 12, 2012

On the 8th dec, after working hard all year, we all headed for a much anticipated "Casino Party Night" at this hotel. Wished we had stayed at home & watched the X Factor! On arrival we had to squash into a tiny area in the public bar to await seating, there was one person serving behind the bar and trying to deal with party goers requests & also residents who were trying to have an evening meal.
When we eventually were seated, it was in the restaurant (not ballroom like we had been advised) at a table which wld have struggled to seat 5 ppl comfortably never mind the 9 who were in our party! When we requested to be moved, eventually a blond woman (Ops Manager according to her badge) appeared with an attitude before we even opened our mouth to tell us that no we hadn't been told that we were to be in the ballroom (we're obviously liars!) and that there was no way we cld be moved to another table (when it was pointed out that 4 of us were siting with a wooden table leg stuck between our own legs she said well that's the way it is somebody has to!) eventually she grudgingly told us to again sit in the public bar as they attempted to make the table bigger on our return 2 different height tables had been pushed together & 2 of our party spent there meal eating on a slope! Now the next nightmare was the waiter service & the drinks orders, when we were eventually approached to take our order, the waiter could not understand or speak English very well at all he then disappeared with our drinks order and never returned for 50 mins with the drinks (it was waiter service only so we had no option but to wait!) we chased up this order 3 times before it was eventually served to us (most of it being wrong) this resulted in us eating most of our meal (which was mediocre at best) without a drink. The whole drinks situation was such a shambles that it resulted in whenever anyone in the room rec'vd a drink & whether it was correct or not a huge cheer went up! Not ideal at all! On to the "DJ" ill use the term loosely he opened his performance with " I haven't done this for years & I'm a bit rusty so bear with me" oh dear!
The "Casino" part of the night consisted of 2 tables been set up in the middle of the public bar, which you only happened to come across if you were in there!
All in all (other than the other guests that we met & decided to chat to & make the best of the situation) the night was a total joke & the management of this hotel should be hanging there heads in shame. On the two occasions we tried to spk to the Ops Manager she wasn't interested & her manner left an awful lot to be desired. Three days later we still have not even rec'vd a courtesy call from the hotel to try to apologise/explain the failure of our evening even though they were perfectly aware how unhappy we were with everything.
Word of advise? Give the Watermill @ Xmas a miss.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I went on Saturday 8th December for my christmas works night out which turned into one of my worst ever nights out! First of all we entered the Ballroom only to be told we were in the restaraunt for the night. We were told on phone that we were booked for the ballroom. The table they had been placed out for nine of us was tiny. We would have been eating of each others knees if we had been any closer! We asked for the manager who came down and who was totally rude, not interested and not sympathetic at all to our complaints. She made our table slighly bigger but just had no customer service skills whatsoever! Then we were only served two drinks during the whole dinner course and waited an hour at least in between getting them. It was just organised chaos between all of the staff. Most of the staff were just so not caring and looked totally pissed off with it as well. The dance floor was about enough for 4-6 people and to top it all off when the DJ eventually turned the music up he said to bear with him as he hadnt done it for years! What a joke! They couldnt even hire a decent DJ for a Christmas party night. We eventually just made our way through to the ballroom where they had a bigger dancefloor and a better DJ. The last hour or so was alrite because we had to start drinking shots to get us all a bit tipsy to try to enjoy what we had left of our christmas party night! A few people including ourselves were complaing that there wasnt even alchohol in some of their drinks. The whole night was just a disaster. I would never go back there and wouldnt recommend it if you are still to have your party night there. The manageress has got to be the worst employee they could have. I think the owners ought to have a closer look at their business and see what really goes on. Louise and all the girls at Lloyds Pharmacy x

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.
I am sincerely sorry you had presumed you were in our Ballroom which obviously predacated your tremendous dissappontment mentioned in your review. My colleague and I personally take the bookings and give no gaurantee as to where guests will be seated on the night. Unfortunatley on the basis of probability you made your way to the Ballroom which according to the seating plan on your arrival stated clearly you were in our Restaurant.
The Manager did come to speak to you and was happy to make your table bigger which was dually done and did apologise to you. During the course of the evening you received a complimentary round of drinks which you were happy to accept and you were not charged for a previous round of drinks you had ordered for your table. I am dissappointed that this was omitted from your review. On a more festive note I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
I am sure you will be aware of the high demand at any bar this time of year and again sincerley apologise you felt you had such a long wait.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Don't know we're to start! Absolute shambles from start to finish! Probably the worst staff night out ever!!!! Just a bit of advice? If you have booked your Christmas night out here, I'd cancel straight away and get your money back! And take your staff to McDonalds!!! Service would be 100 times better!!!

Staff havnt a clue! 1 hour to service around of drinks! All the wrong drinks were brought! And waited on another 25 minutes for them to get it right!!! The biggest problem with this is the staff can't speak a bit of English!!!! Not that I'm racist or anything, I'm proud that they have jobs! But come on the owners of Watermill!!! Get the right staff in the right places and English speaking ones! Look after british people first and you do a better job!!!!

Meal was fine apart from being a bit cold but edible,

If you do go here I'd bring your own drink? apart from the service the drinks are watered down!! 4 times I had to to the bar and ask them to put vodka and spirits in the staffs glass! One staff member even agreed with me that the drink was watered!!! Thank god my best mate works with the licensing board for glasgow! Think he'll be paying you a visit sometime soon!!!

As from the DJ!!! I'd bring my iPod!!! First thing he said was!!! It's been a long time since I've done this!! So if you want a song played please come and ask me!!! What the f..k!!!!!

Casino night!! What a joke! Not one staff member had a clue what was happening!! Total disorganising!!!

I did stay over night with my partner, the rooms were ok but not brilliant, here goes for breakfast

It was the same member of staff as the night before so you can imagine!!!! Full English breakfast!!! More like beans, burnt bacon, burnt hash browns, soggy potatoe scone and NO black pudding because the wasn't a delivery today!!! Go to the bloody shop and buy some!!!! Its on the menu to which I've paid for!!!! Please don't pay £10 extra for breakfast people! Morrisons is just around the corner!!!!!!!! The orange juice was good tho!! Lol

All the best to future of the Watermill, because you'll need to sort things out!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JH03DUN
TheWatermill, Sales Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for your review to which I am dissappointed to read.
I who am English speaking as are the majority of our staff came and spoke to you on the night. I explained some of our staff had fallen ill therefore we had called in Agency Staff and apolgised for the wait you had incurred at the bar. All the staff are very hard working no matter which country they come from and do apologise this was not to your liking.
I find it incredulous that you have made serious allegations against our business stating that we "water down" drinks and suggested one of our staff agreed we do. As a business we have taken your false allegations extremely serious and are currently taking legal advise on this matter. I can assure you that Renfrewshire Licensing Board have never had any concerns in relation to our Business which they can confirm should you wish. The DJ had no complaints on the night to himself personally so therefore cannot comment. I am at a loss as to why you thought none of our staff knew about the Casino all our staff were very aware this was so. I find it uneccessary to comment on the staff member that served you for breakfast as I do think for any guest it is irrelevant whether they worked the evening before or not. I have taken all your comments on board as all feedback is important to us. I do apologise once again that you did not enjoy your night out and wish to extend our very best to you in 2013.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paisley
Ashtree House Hotel
Ardgowan House
Ardgowan House
#8 of 9 in Paisley
The Glynhill Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!