“Scottish charm.”
Review of Atholl Arms Hotel

Atholl Arms Hotel
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Lovely,warm,friendly full of charm no complaints. Real Scottish hotel lots of tartan ,roaring fire in lobby area where you can sit ,dinning area amazing. This is a must visit if you like real Scottish hospitality.shame we just had 1night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a two night stay at the Atholl Arms over our wedding anniversary and we were most pleased with what we found there. The hotel itself has a very charming character to it, starting with the lounge within the lobby area which has a nice roaring coal fire and comfy chairs to sit in.
Just off this lounge area is the main dining hall which is an impressive room, with a very high ceiling and nice traditional decor. The staff that all work within the dining area and most pleasant and very accommodating to your specific requests for your meals.
Accessed from either an outside door round the side of the building or from the main dining room is the Bothy Bar. This was one of the highlights for us, as it oozed character, with nice low beamed ceilings, traditional stone floor and a lovely roaring fire in the middle of the room. We ate here on the Saturday night, having a meal of fish and chips (plus mushy peas) for myself and my wife opting for the chicken fajitas. Both meals were of good quality and very reasonable at about £10 each.
The whole hotel is dog friendly except for the main dining room. This is one of the main reasons we initially chose this hotel, however the hotel did not show and signs or smells of being overpopulated by four legged residents, including our room which was of good quality, cleanliness and well equipped with tea + coffee making facilities, a television, radio alarm, etc.
All the staff we spoke to during our stay were most helpful, courteous and well presented. The hotel sits in a lovely area with lots of walking nearby and Blair Castle just across the road.
We will most definitely stay here again in the near future. Do not be put off by reviews on Tripadvisor saying about "musty rooms" or other such nonsense. We paid £129 for a two night bed and breakfast over Friday and Saturday night stay which was great value for money.

1  Thank delbutler
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I chose to have my wedding reception at the Atholl Arms and it was a great choice. Heather and her team took great care of us through the planning and the wedding meal was really spectacular. I've been to many weddings and I'm pleased to say I think the food was the best at my own! I also loved my room and took full advantage of the great whirlpool tub. All the guests of our wedding also seemed to enjoy their stay very much. This hotel has plenty of charm, it's not a sleek design hotel so if that is what you're looking for look elsewhere, but for a warm Highland welcome you would be hard pressed to do better than the Atholl Arms. Take some time to explore the charming village of Blair Atholl as well -- have lunch at the Watermill, take a tour of the spectacular Castle.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We were recommended to come up and stay in the Blair Atholl area to visit Blair Castle. After reserving this hotel we were not disappointed in staying in a lodge style accommodations. The food was good. We spent a great evening in the bar sampling local Whiskeys. The room was small but clean and decorated with a tartin scheme.

The hotel went the extra mile literally because the next morning we were able to leave our bags in a broom closet while we went and visited Blair Castle. When we came back the lady at the front had shipped our bags off in confusion thinking they were someone else's bags. I still don't know how the shipping driver would take two bags when his order was for two? She immediately called the transport company and a staff member of the hotel drove two hours down to Glasgow to pick them up. Fours hours later we had them at our new B&B we are staying at tonight.

For as crazy of a mistake that was their staff certainly corrected the situation and turned lemons into lemonade.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week. I am not sure what happened, but in comparison to other reviews we must have been put in the worst room the Inn has.
The room was small, nowhere to put luggage, or keys or anything. Twin beds, with horrible mattresses. The room smelled of must and mildew. Sagged in the middle, the entire room. There was mildew on the shower tile, the shower curtain had red mildew on it and it stuck to you when you showered! It was extremely unpleasant!
The carpet was worn and thin in the room, as it was on the stairs. Didn't like walking barefoot on the carpet in the room or in the bathroom, which was so tiny and poorly lit. No whirlpool tub here!
The staff was not as friendly has described, until the last day, there was a much more helpful person working the reception. When we arrived, we we offered no help with our bags or even shown to our room, just told it was upstairs.
The only accommodating thing that was done for us, was to provide a fan when we requested one. We did not complain about the condition of the room. We were unsure how a complaint would be received, so we said nothing. Our room was part of a "Walking Vacation" package and I wonder if this is the room they give to company who books the rooms for the package. We did not feel secure in complaining, because, when we checked out our luggage was left behind for the transportation to our next hotel. The Atholl Arms would be "watching over" our luggage till it was picked up.
As far as dining goes, the food was fine. The main dining room was very nice. Once again the staff was somewhat stiff. Maybe being Americans had something to do with it. We also ate at the pub and the atmosphere there was friendlier. This was our first stop on our "walking" vacation and we were so excited to be in the north. The scenery was outstanding, we had been anticipating this walk for 6 months!
The walking in Blair Atholl was outstanding! As was Blair Castle.
I would return to the area, but never would I stay in such horrible, smelly conditions.
I totally understand an old building, the groans and creeks, but I do not understand NOT being clean and well scrubbed

Room Tip: Do not choose the room pictured on their website with twin beds in pink and dark green colors. Do...
5  Thank Notgena
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We spent a night here on Saturday night. We normally stay at a sister hotel in Moulin nearby but this time thought we would try the Atholl. We also decided to treat ourselves to a four poster bedroom (102) and quite ok it was. The bed was a true king size and there was a whirlpool bath thingy in the bathroom.
We enjoyed the Bothy Bar but did note that the food and drink prices were notably higher for the same products than at the Bothy Bar of the Moulin Hotel a few miles away. Nae worries, we were paying for the location so didnae mind.
The Bothy Bar was busy and the barmaid was certainly kept busy all evening but she handled the orders very well and there was little wait to order,
The food was good and no complaints other than it was pricier than the Moulin.
The breakfast banqueting hall is simply a stunning place to have breakfast and we were lucky enough to be first for breakfast so got the top table at the main window alcove.
The local area is quite stunning and excellent for cycling and hiking.
No trip to this area is complete without a wee visit to The House of Bruar.
Another nice observation is that most of the staff I came across were true locals and that is sometimes a rarity in large hotels.

Room Tip: 102 for the four poster is a good choice.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Spent a lovely weekend here with my Dad during the recent horse trials. Although it cost me a small fortune I do understand that prices are going to be at their highest during the trials. I cannot really fault this hotel for its fantastic hospitality and I always love returning home to Scotland as you are always guaranteed a warm welcome. The staff were all lovely and very helpful and chatty. We met some lovely people in the hotel bar after long days trudging through the mud although we were very lucky with the weather. As for the food I quite simply cannot fault it, both breakfast and dinner menu were varied and everything we chose was extremely tasty. The Pinot Grigio was rather nice too!! Hopefully I will return later in the year for a winter break so get those open fires lit!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family