Atholl Arms Hotel
Fisher's Hotel(Pitlochry)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsbothy barbaronial hallblair castleafternoon teaminstrels gallerysister hoteltraditional scottish hoteldining roomroaring firebar mealsreal alebit datedreception areameringuesteak pietrain stationevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stopped by chance at this hotel and managed to get rooms for us and our friends. Rooms were quaint and clean with clocks in the rooms which is good as these days hotels don't seem to believe guests need to know the time. (don't know where that silly idea came from) Very close to the train station but that didn't stop us sleeping. Staff went out of their way to meet our needs. Price was reasonable and food in the resturant was very good. The bar staff were hopeless but that didn't stop us from enjoying our stay and we were well placed to visit the castle and museum. Stayed 2 nights and would stay again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed for five nights in July and would certainly use the Atholl Arms again.
Our room was very comfortable with ample storage space and a spacious bathroom with plenty of hot water for deep baths at the end of a day's hillwalking. In the evening we ate in the Bothy Bar which serves hearty pub grub, especially enjoyed the venison olives and the fish pie, at decent prices.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 lovely nights at the Atholl Arms last week for our 25th wedding anniversary. Having arrived after an 11 hour drive (!) we were told that our online booking for a standard double room had not been made and we did not have a reservation. However, without delay, we were upgraded to a superior room - the one on the photos with the four poster and jacuzzi bathroom : what a treat, especially as our original booking was at a discount rate!! All the staff were extremely friendly, breakfast in the baronial dining room was hot, hearty and tasty. We had two dinners in the Bothy Bar, again hearty food and very good value for money. The peaceful location was soul soothing and very central for the 1000 odd miles we travelled! Yes, the hotel has more tartan than you could ever wish for and the reception area at times was way too warm, BUT its why you go to Scotland and why you should choose this lovely lovely hotel.

Room Tip: choose a superior room - you deserve it!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our daughter had her wedding reception at The Atholl Arms last Saturday. From the first meeting over a year ago to the big day, Heather and her team have strived to make her day special. NOTHING was too much trouble. A very professional but friendly approach reassured me that all would be well. As parents of the bride, you hand over control of the day to someone else and need to be confident that they will deliver. They certainly did, with terrific attention to detail, attentive staff,atmospheric Baronial Hall and amazing 3 course dinner. Many of our guests said it was the best wedding meal they had ever had. If you are looking for a venue that will go the extra mile, then this is it.
To Heather, Susan and the team- Thank you for everything.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I really want to say something good about this hotel because 1. It's certainly not the worst in the world, and 2. I did like the management staff in the reception office. But I am going to be completely honest and fair because if the management listen, and take this posting as constructive critisism, then I think the place has the potential to be wonderful.

On first impressions, the hotel looks very pretty on the outside, but rather out of date on the inside. The entrance hall and dining room are lovely but then when you get past them into the rest of the hotel, it's a bit dissapointing. There is a difference between cosy traditional Scottish and shabby, dated Scottish, and the management have confused the two I think. The place obviously hadn't been decorated since the 80's. An avocado bathroom suite might be retro in another hundred years but right now it just gives the impression of the place being tired and neglected. Pictures so old that they have faded to blue, carpet with holes in, mdf furniture with tartan fabric over it to disguise it, dusty curtains, mouldy bath tiles, an 80's telephone, a sagging & stained sofa bed, artex/woodchip decor, smell of damp, skylight covered by moss, dusty faded fake flowers etc, it was like a 90 year old man's house. It actually felt a bit creepy. The bed was clean and comfy thank goodness but it was two singles pushed together, again not what you expect in a superior double. I was expecting an actual double bed.

The food was edible but on a par with a wetherspoons bar. Tasteless chips (described as "gourmet" but that could mean anything really. They definitely weren't hand cut from real potato. They were frozen, made from reconstituted mash) and a burger which swam in grease when I pressed my fork into it. It's not hard or expensive to make real burgers from a bit of mince, onion, egg and seasoning. These were out of a box and deep fried. Limp, dry, browning salad. Fake mayonnaise (the kind that comes in a big bucket from Costco, with a jelly-like consistency). Sorry but I feel sick remembering it. I suspect there is no real chef in the kitchen, perhaps a Microwave Technician.
The staff were mostly helpful, and we did feel welcome on that front. They were accommodating when we asked for an early breakfast and gave us some information on local attractions and a map. To be fair I think the bar and kitchen staff must be used to hearing complaints and just try their best with what they have. We did mention the food in the bar was not very nice, and the barmaid said something along the lines of "ah ok". No apology or further investigation as to why the food was not up to scratch. The real problem lies with the management, who seem to have their rose-tinted specs on with regards to the standard of the hotel. I've stayed in plenty of small highland boutique hotels and B&Bs, and been greeted with fresh, welcoming rooms and delicious, local produce on the menu. This hotel needs a bit of money spent on it, an overhaul of the menu, and for the management to step their game up a bit and inject a bit of passion to their business. The hotel is attracting custom because it's the lesser of two evils (there is apparently a worse hotel in the area), not because it's the best. I believe there's no point in doing something unless you are aiming to be the best, so my advice would be to stop being so complacent and take these comments on board. And yes Heather we did stay at the Atholl Arms Hotel, I know that because it's in giant letters on the side of the building.

• Stayed: July 2012