1,198 results
All reviews self drive shearings hotels scenic view shearings holiday caledonian travel manager chris a la carte menu dining room leisure facilities coach driver sauna and jacuzzi folk singer evening entertainment superior room half board meal times restaurant manager
Selected filters
Reviewed June 14, 2019 via mobile

Quite a lot really. Not for us this one.
Very dissappointed with this place from the moment we arrived. Arrived tired wanting to take advantage of some tranquility in the pool to find the pool and hotel lounge taken over by local swimming club. Kids everywhere. I appreciate in these times a hotel may need to diversify but dont advertise yourself as having spa like facilities.
The priority seemed to be for the senior clientele of the coach party persuasion. We got grouped with the coach party crowd at dinner time and it was not a pleasant peaceful experience. Very cafeteria like. Asked for a jug of tap water, was brought a hospital/ school plastic jug that had a totally smashed up spout! Really. No cloths on the tables and the waiters seemed obsessed with spraying these tables right on top of you whilst you were eating .
The wait for food sooo long and then....the evening entertainment...what a noise. Did we have a choice no. We were going to have to sit through it and eat our long awaited dinner.

The pool was a more tranquil place the next morning and pleasant enough. Breakfast we asked to be seated away from the coach party with the other non coach party guests, it was a little better but the waiters still obsessed with spraying around you.
Oh and what a strange way to serve tea in a hotel. Not one thing or the other....and very insipid. It must have been a couple of tea bags in this massive teapot. Teapots are good but individual not one for us all to share .
The room was ok. Clean and comfy with a pleasant view of the hills but not enough to draw us back.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, sorry we have fell short of your expectations. I cannot apologise for allowing young local children the opportunity to learn to swim. In this community it is an absolute necessity.... it is only for two and a half hours per week.
We do have a diverse customer set and we welcome all equally and work very hard to satisfy each one of them.
I appreciate the compliments in amongst your review and am sorry it is unlikely you would return.

Reviewed June 12, 2019

Just returned home following a two night stay at this hotel. First impressions were that this is an imposing and grand hotel set in wonderful gardens with lots of comfortable outdoor seating (some under cover) and a lovely place to linger on a warm and sunny day. The views from all sides of the hotel are spectacular. The hotel is reached by climbing a steep incline from the towns Main Street so anyone infirm would require transport.

The reception

We were allocated room 201,reached by a lift. It was a large bright and airy room, looking out over roof tops to the magnificent hills beyond. The room was clean, modern and well furnished. The bathroom was large with both bath and overhead shower and was well stocked with free toiletries. The only negative here was the towel radiator which was surprisingly grubby given the rest of the bathroom which was spotless. Please note that this was not a refurbished room but was the best I have stayed in with a three star rating.
The public areas were impressive with attractive decor and furnishings. The dinning room is a large bright area with comfortable and well laid out dinning tables and chairs.

Overall we very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It’s a gem of a place and a great find at the rates charged.

Date of stay: June 2019
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2019

Hi, thanks for taking the time to review us and glad all was well. You have given us a fair assessment which we all appreciate. Hopefully you will come again and if so we will do our utmost to squeeze another star off you. it is lovely here in Highland Perthshire all year round.
Thanks again and I am glad you found us to be good value.

Reviewed June 9, 2019

My very good friend and i went on a Shearings coahc holiday 27th May.Very impressed with hotel,room and food.Fabulous service at meal times with quick service most appreciated.Alittle bit of a climb from town if you are disabled or not too steady on the old pins.

Date of stay: May 2019
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2019

Hi, thanks for the five star review we are all delighted. Hope to see you up here in Highland Perthshire again sometime.

Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

Myself and my partner have literally just left this hotel , where do I start . We were in room 113 . We arrived Friday , got to room and decided to relax before meeting our other friends who were staying in same hotel . big room , reasonably clean but very squeaky floorboards . It’s an old hotel so I can live with that . Lay in the bed , almost rolled off it . The bed was awful , no way could we sleep in it . Tv didn’t work so we went to call reception and phone didn’t work . I went down to reception to complain and you just know by the look on their faces they aren’t surprised . We headed out and told staff again about tv . Came in and it still hasn’t been fixed . The staff look completely bored , and they all stand about with their hands behind their back at breakfast ( which isn’t too bad if your down early ) we missed the entertainment it finished at 10 , bar closes at 11 . Don’t expect to get a taxi anywhere I think you need to book 24 hrs in advance ( bearing in mind the hotels at top of a hill with loads of stairs ) . So headed to bed , literally had to jam myself into the bed with a pillow to save me rolling out , couldn’t roll the other way to cuddle into my partner as there was a big lump in middle of bed . We both hardly slept a wink , in the morning my back was agony from trying not to roll out . This is not what you would expect from a hotel that cost what we paid . So up in the morning to get a coffee , glad I checked before we made one , mugs were filthy . So overall I would avoid this place like the plague . If I was offered a free week I wouldn’t stay . And of course when you go down to complain on the Sunday AGAIN no one can do anything as the manager is off until Monday . Probably deliberate because he knows the complaints he’s due to get when people check out on a Sunday . If it wasn’t for the fact we were with amazing friends who were great company we would have left on arriving at our room and asked for our money back .

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2019

Hi, I can see you have e mailed me personally so will react directly with you.

Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

Stayed in room 14.
Stained chair, dated furniture, stained quilt cover, carpet minging, marks and stains all around the room and corridors.
We complained and the receptionist couldn’t have cared less
Stay elsewhere

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi, I do not agree with your statement whatsoever, you booked a standard room and I recall at check in you hoped this room had a view etc. I explained it was a standard and that we were full so no option to change. Our Hotel is always investing in itself and whilst there is a shortcoming here and there your comments above are a huge exaggeration.
Our Receptionist is offended too, she doesn't feel she was given a fair chance to resolve your issues. We accept we have fallen short of your expectation here, that is clear .... but again, I feel your post is rather harsh.