1,113 results
All reviews self drive shearings hotels scenic view shearings holiday dining room leisure facilities jacuzzi and sauna folk singer a la carte menu coach driver superior room evening entertainment half board restaurant manager meal times coach party set menu
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Recent 5 day break with Shearings. Hotel although tired was warm and welcoming. The staff which were a mixture of locals and Spanish were lovely, nothing was too much trouble. There was the standard menu but also an al a carte menu which you had to pay for but with a discount. On the whole the food was good especially the breakfasts. I heard one or two guests complain to each other that there wasn't enough entertainment in the evening. This wasn't a problem for me. I used the pool and jaccuzi which was a bonus. The hotel is situated on a hill so if anyone has poor mobility and wishes to walk to the town coming back would be a problem.

Stayed: October 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank delphine646
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, thanks for the post and yes we are quite a mixed bunch from all over the world. Glad to read that you enjoyed the food side of things and that the staff were all warm and friendly.

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Booked a scenic view room for one night. Room looked into car park. Went to reception and asked if we were in wrong room as we were looking into car park. We were told we had a bay view window and we should look up. It could be very noisy as smokers directly under front facing rooms.

Booked DBB and would not advise you do this as food was terrible and what we would expect in a greasy spoon cafe. Main course was reheated or under heat lamp as potato wedges were chewy. Not once were you asked how it was or why you had left so much on plate. Breakfast was okay but staff putting out bread out with no gloves on and staff chewing gum.

Leisure facilities where you had to use room towel but unable to dry it in time for having shower so had to make do with hand towels. Never had this situation in other hotels we have used.

We have stayed in other hotels in Pitlochry which are much better and DBB was a treat and less expensive than hydro.

Would not return as plenty others to choose from.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eibmorcreba
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

Hi, apologies that things were not to your satisfaction. You are entitled to your opinion and we will talk through your review, and others, at this mornings meeting.

Reviewed October 13, 2018

Four friends and I have just returned from a really nice break at the above hotel,the leisure facilities are great we used the swimming pool most days.The dining room staff deserve a pat on the back for the service and being so friendly,the food was excellent.This hotel has gone through some renovation and also has been painted in some areas,the hotel is close to the town and railway station,the main bar/lounge area in nice to sit in and relax.We were going to the Enchanted Forest,one evening and we asked someone at the reception to book a taxi for us,but they gave us the number of a taxi firm to book and order the car for ourselves.When I booked our rooms,I had to change one of them from a twin to a single I phoned the hotel within 15 minutes of my original booking only to be told that I had to go through Shearings,direct to change my room and I also incurred a £25 pound Cancellation Fee,which Iam angry and disappointed about,as I phoned the hotel back very quickly to change the room,I know that Shearings,along with any other hotels has to make money but I feel that this charge could have been waived as I notified the hotel direct and quickly about the room change.Has the hotel considered having a shuttle bus to take guests into the town as not everyone has there own transport,and the hill coming back to the hotel is very steep.Some of our friends had a leak in there room,they could not find the night porter and when they did his command of English,was not so good,our friends managed to speak to a member of staff who lived in the hotel.A bucket was placed in there room and fresh linen was put on one of the beds,but no spare rooms were available,our friends were offered another room the next day but we were checking out on Friday,so for the sake of 1 night they decided to stay in the same room,this put a bit of a damper on an excellent four night stay.Please onpass our thanks to all staff especially the dining room staff who made our stay an enjoyable one,and we shall certainly been returning again.

Room Tip: try to book,reserve a room overlooking the front of the hotel .
  • Stayed: October 2018, traveled with friends

Hi, thanks for such a fair score considering there were a couple of issues.... I appreciate it.
I will certainly pass on your thanks and good to read you will be coming again.

Reviewed October 12, 2018

Good hotel with good proximity to town shopping pubs train station bars and eateries.
Hotel has a lovely swimming pool complex the bar and evening entertainment is good.the main restaraunt is excellent for both evening meal and breakfast I just couldn’t fault any meals my self for wife ate. We travelled thru shearings holidays On a coach tour which ran on time with execellent drivers Throughout the tour. They took us to some amazing places on day trips on inclusive within the price.a absolute bargain holiday not to be missed.
We travelled thru snowy conditions and observed beautiful scenery thruought and felt very very safe with our drivers under difficult driving conditions at times .
Some of the rooms are a little dated and the floor boards squeak loudly as it’s a very very old hotel ,this just adds to the charm and the hotel was making positive efforts and upgrading and re decorating rooms thru winter period. We will and would recommend this hotel to anyone. A lovely winter spring holiday to be had here!!

Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple

Hi, thanks enormously for your kind words and lovely review. You are quite correct, we do use the winter months to get some work done and I am pleased you would recommend us.
Hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 11, 2018 via mobile

Good setting, hotel looks pleasant from the outside and parking available. About a 5 minute walk to the main road. The staff were polite and friendly on arrival. Bar on site with facilities to eat. Swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were also pleasant. We were in room 14 which we paid £90 for plus a £10 levi for pup.
The room was like something dated from the 50's. Badly needs modernising.
The bed was pretty hard and the pillows were similar to the bed. On suite bathroom wouldn't look out of place in a hospital and the water distributed like a sprinkler system but at least it was hot.
We expected a little accident from our pup but a lass even the grass outside was a better option for her.
It's a shame because it could be a lovely hotel but the room really let it down.

Stayed: October 2018, traveled as a couple

Hi, your standard room is on the next batch of rooms to be refurbished early next year. thanks for a couple of compliments and hopefully you will try us again.