“Bit of a curate's egg !”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Launceston, United Kingdom
“Bit of a curate's egg !”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Spent 4 days at the Hydro last week. For the most part we were very satisfied. We upgraded to a superior twin room with a view. The room was beautifully decorated (I love green!), and spotless. It is a little cramped for a superior twin - only one bedside table, crammed between the beds and thus only one reading light - opportunities for marital discord! It would probably be better as a double.
The bathroom was likewise spotless and well appointed -but for the shower, as others have mentioned. Take care when showering not to nudge the temperature control lever or a stream of scalding hot water will be produced - some form of thermostatic control is needed.
I was very pleased to see a shelf provided for toiletries etc, though I suspect it was purely a result of boxing in the pipes!

I cannot understand why anyone would complain about breakfasts - wonderful, especially the porridge and the poached eggs. The evening meals show a little more variation in quality but they are mostly good. The dining room staff are fantastic -very efficient and always friendly and smiling, as are all the staff we encountered.

So why-are you asking, have I not given the hotel 5 stars? Well it was going so well until our last night and the problem was ... the entertainment. No we weren't actually watching it - we have no interest in it but we weren't given a choice. We'd done most of the packing and settled down with a nice glass of something to watch a good film on the TV and then... the most appalling racket started up. I couldn't hear myself think, let alone watch my film. The bass on the sound system was so loud the floor was vibrating. We kept hoping it wouldn't last long but it went on until 22.30. - I had hoped it would stop after a rendition of "My Way" but or lasted another 10 mins! Now I have looked back thro other reviews and no-one else has mentioned this so -
Was this a new act that hadn't performed before?
Did all previous occupants of Room115 actually attended the performance?
Were all previous occupants actually deaf?!

Well that is why I only gave 4 stars and will not be returning unless I can be assured we will not be assigned any room on the first floor front- Beware of Room115 - nice as it is!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review us. Firstly, we do have a twin superior at the back of house so let us know when you book next time. Otherwise there was lots of positives and I am glad you mentioned them. The staff are always pleased to read that they are appreciated and recognised for the fantastic job they do week in, week out.
Thanks again and hope to see you again.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Nenagh, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just off the A9 we decided to break our journey to Elgin. For us of limited mobility request a room or the ground floor, or the lift goes up to the 2nd and third floor. we were put on the first floor, "stairs", which I just about managed. The room was well appointed but it needs a bit of sound insulation as we could hear the snores from next door! Very pleasant Scottish girl behind the Bar but mainly Europeans in the Dining room, very smart. I had Prawns in Tempuree batter, very good. Then Sea Bass, only one portion left, just about O.K. We sadly had no time for a swim.
The fish ladder is worth a visit if the Salmon are running and "House of Bruar", just north of Pitlochry on the A9 is Fortnums' and Harrods rolled into one. Good Tea room.

Room Tip: Go for the best room you can afford, and make sure the lift goes to it.
1 Thank Simon904
Hi there and thanks for the review. I'm glad we provided you with a nice place to break your journey heading north and you were comfortable. Hopefully you will come again and don't forget your swimming outfits this time.... we have a lovely facility that is there to be taken advantage of.
The Tyne
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We visited the Hydro 18th to 23rd May 2014, this time we found the ground floor and entrance very neat and tidy and well decorated.
The great majority of the staff had changed and all, apart from one or two, were very friendly and helpful - particularly in the dining room.
Accommodation was comfortable but in need of refurbishment (wall paper was coming from wall in corner).
The room was very clean and tidy otherwise.

Room Tip: Try and keep away from lift areas and preferably towards the end of a wing on the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi, well a slightly mixed review but more compliments than criticisms. I have a man who goes around this building like a man possessed trying to maintain the fabric of it....he has now sorted the peeling wallpaper as we hadn't noticed it.
Hopefully, if you come again, we can try and deliver enough for a four star review.
Kent
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I have visited this hotel with my husband for a few years now. The staff really make it special for us, the food is good and we like the superior room and enjoy a swim in the pool. It's in a lovely central location. My husband likes a friendly chat with the barman who is from Europe I think. We don't pay a lot for our trip so to us it's a great deal . We come to Pitlochry to visit the lovely scenery and always feel welcome when we come to the hotel , unlike other places we have stayed in. Some staff have been here for a long time so think that says a lot. I've met the managers , think there's 2 or 3 and they always have time to say hello..and there is a lovely lady on reception who can't do enough for you. wouldn't stay anywhere else in Pitlochry.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank hapytravel
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Hi, and thanks for a lovely balanced review which has cheered us all up. Elaine at reception has been welcoming guests here in the same fashion for many years....and I hope to squeeze a couple more out of her before she calls it a day.
For what seems like a very long time I have set us all the challenge of having more five star reviews than four star reviews and we have never been closer.....it's within touching distance ....we can all smell it and we want it ! We will all be on our best behaviour until that mile stone is reached then I will have to set us all another challenge. Onwards and upwards !!
Best Regards and hope to see you again.
Ross-on-wye
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My wife and I were on a two night package of dinner, bed & breakfast, amazing value, We had a very big ground floor room with a big bathroom and a very good shower with plenty of hot water. Our room was very clean and we were adjacent to the good indoor swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi. The food we had was very good, well served by attentive staff under the very watchful gaze of the restaurant manager. Good location just up the hill from the town center and a big free car park. We were well satisfied.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StuartRoss-on-Wye
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Hello and thanks, just what we needed ! I think we are a three star Hotel punching above our weight with the standards we have and the service we offer. For you to pick up the things you have done and compliment us in the way you have means an awful lot.
Hope to see you again up here in Highland Perthshire and more specifically in this Hotel.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was our first time staying in the hydro....location was great and lovely surroundings. We were upgraded to a premier room from a superior which was great. The only issue was the shower was really bad....just a spray! Had a great night sleep, very comfortable bed.
The reception areas are lovely and staff friendly.
However the worst part of our stay was the food, very basic and tasteless. Both dinner and breakfast were very poor and felt the produce used was very cheap! The waiters were over attentative and made us feel rushed and uncomfortable. The food was with us with us within 2 mins of sitting down so definitley not fresh.
Overall nice hotel, would maybe stay again without eating here!
One last suggestion....heat the jacuzzi up, it was freezing!

1 Thank GandC84
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Hello and I'm sorry I'm responding to the second negative review on the trot......not where we want to be at all. My personal feelings on our food are that we have nearly a thousand bed nights every week and record very few issues. I recognise and appreciate that it is not up everyone's street but I believe the quality is reflected in the cost you have paid for your break. We work very hard to deliver a consistent standard of food and will continue to do so.
I think the problem with the spa is that when it is used heavily, as it was this weekend, it changes a huge volume its water and therefore gets little opportunity to warm itself up.
Thanks for your comments, we hope for better of course, but all reviews are listened to, considered and reacted upon.
astongal
Reviewed May 4, 2014

2nd visit to the Hydro and no improvement I suspect the last time - shower was terrible had to run round to get wet, shower curtain dirty and stank. Everytime we came back to room and cleaner had been in she had turned all the plugs off so nothing got charged during the day. Food mediocre at best. The reception areas in the hotel are ok but the wi fi is non existent even in the areas they claim you can pick it up. In this day and age should be in all areas.

Room Tip: try and pay a bit more and get a bigger room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello and I am really disappointed you have not enjoyed or rated your recent stay here. I think it is just a general disappointment and wished you had mentioned your grumbles at the time. I'm sure we could have gone some way to solving your problems had you given us the opportunity. In the meantime it appears unlikely you will try us for a third time but we are always here doing our best should you ever change your mind.