“jolly scots break”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Rugeley, United Kingdom
“jolly scots break”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

me and my wife had a 5 day break 9th 2 13th december had a lovely time we were well looked after the day trips were ok the hotel was fine the staff saw to our every need a mention musrt go to diane and lucy on reception and frank the concierge also to the night porter martin who was very knowledgeable he kept the place spotless keep up the gud work folks also martin remember a broom is not only 4 xmas but 4 life

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sparkes22
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hi there, I love the title of this review. I'm really pleased to read everything was ok and you enjoyed communicating with a few of the staff. Never was truer a word spoken on the broom front. They are for life and the quicker Martin understands that ...the better ! I have told the housekeeper that the same rule applies to her hoovers......that'll save me a few bob !
Thanks again and all the best for 2014
Best regards
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
England
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We have just returned from a pre-christmas family break (55th visit for my parents!). We had a wonderful relaxing holiday to recharge the batteries ready for the excesses of Christmas!.The food was to the usual high standard and requests for small changes to our orders were handled with the utmost courtesy. Service in the Restaurant was friendly and very efficient. Great entertainment particularly Trish. Please pass on our thanks to all concerned. Special mention to Elaine and to Chris the Manager. We are looking forward to the next ones!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea L
Hello there and thanks for lovely review....just because you are VIP's does not mean I take your views for granted. You have always been honest with me as the Hotel marches forward year after year and I respect that enormously. I would also like to thank you for the lovely slab of fruit cake you gave me...it was delicious and can I put my order in now for further slabs next year. Yum yum yum......in my tum !
See you next year and enjoy your festivities.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with friends. The decor was tired and the bedroom was pokey and shabby. Food was mediocre at best and since it appeared within minutes of being ordered it appeared to be ready prepared. Quite nice lounge area and the live entertainment was excellent.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a single room if you want space to move!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello there, well I am always going to be disappointed when I see a score of less than 4 stars and I am sorry you felt this way about us. We are always investing in the Hotel and have targeted a number of rooms for 2014.
Hopefully you will give us another chance to impress you at some point in the future.
Alexandria, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed at the Pitlochry on sunday 1st December.Room (204) was very shabby.Paint peeling off
bathroom walls,shower had no pressure at all, rubber bath mat was filthy.
Bedroom carpet stained and room needed a good clean.
Public areas are nice and breakfast was served from polite staff
Changing areas in leisure club could do with an upgrade

Room Tip: Do not accept room 204
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 170Nell
Hi, I'm sorry you had a few issues with us on your recent stay. We have tackled the problem in the bathroom during our short close down period and your other points will be discussed with the team at our meeting today.
Thanks for the review
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

It really annoyed me to read that someone recently likened this hotel to a 'nursing home' it most certainly is not!!

We went as a couple in our 20/30s and found it a great place and modern... Upon arrival we received a room upgrade, the manager couldn't be more courteous or helpful!

Very central to Pitlochry and bars/restaurants, nice swimming pool etc...

Again - staff service was impeccable especially Elaine at the front desk...

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clad19
Hi there and thanks for such a complimentary review. We cater for everyone here and you are right, it is a little unfair to be pigeon holed as something we are not. I'm glad you had a nice time and hopefully you will return again.
Best Regards
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Wow wow wow what a fantastic time me and my friend have had. The hotel is in a great location with fantastic amenities the staff couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant was superb, good choice of menu helpful and friendly staff could do enough for us. Entertainment first rate really enjoyed it. Swimming pool and sauna very relaxing after a busy day.
One of the best hotels I have been to with Shearings
Can't wait for are next visit.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Remus2013
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Hello, thanks for a lovely five star review and I'm delighted that you have already decided that you are coming back. We try very hard here to be consistent in what we do and how we deliver it so you can be rest assured and expect something very similar (not identical because that would be boring !) to what you have just experienced.
The team are delighted and more often than not they see these reviews before I do and it gives them a lift and spurs them on to the next set of guests.
I'm no hippy but we love these 'positive vibes'
See you next time...
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited The Hydro hotel with my Mum on 18th November until 22nd November. We travelled with Shearings which is our 9th holiday with them since February 2012.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of booking here, do it! You won't be disappointed. Just don't read any professional moaners reviews on here as it's not worth reading then.

The hotel is spotless, you could eat your dinner off the floor. I had room 228 and upon entering I thought I was allocated a Superior room by mistake! Turns out it was a standard room! It was big, clean and generally well maintained. If the standard rooms are excellent, imagine what the superior rooms are like!

The staff are excellent in their roles. Really friendly and they cannot help you enough. The restaurant manager who I unfortunately forget his name takes pride in his job, he along with the other restaurant staff ensured it ran like clock work and it did, my sincere thanks to them all for being great people.

The food was outstanding. Top marks to the chef, everything was piping hot and the lasagne I had on Thursday was the best I've tasted in my life. The breakfasts were delicious - just awesome!

The bar staff that served us are a credit to the hotel. What a lovely lady Sonya is, greeting us with a smile all the time, me and my mum had a great conversation with her one evening. My sincere thanks to her and her brother and the rest of the bar staff!

Our excursions included Braemar, Dunkheld and Perth. On our trip to Braemar on Wednesday there was a severe blizzard on the mountain road. Tony is an excellent driver who took great care in getting us there and back. Unfortunately the local transport Police shut the mountain road when we were coming back so Tony had to drive us back via Dundee but we got back safely to the hotel and I cannot thank him enough. Hope you feel better soon Tony. Being on top of the mountain road in a thick blizzard was a great experience!

I went in the pool and Jacuzzi on Tuesday and Thursday and I enjoyed it. The pool to the changing rooms are spotlessly clean, top marks to the staff who clean and maintain them.

Our main driver was Jeff who we knew from last year when he brought us to and from Stretton. Everyone knows Jeff! What a great funny man! He had the whole coach in stitches with his jokes and great sense of humor! Jeff is a legend!

Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, we had 2 different drivers on Friday as Jeff had to drive the other coach to another interchange, but Tom and Rob the other drivers were excellent, this was handled smoothly and professionally.

The week went too quick and me and my mum are now in foul moods having to come back to the working life!

My sincere thanks to you Chris for managing an excellent hotel and it was great talking to you on Friday. We shall be back definitely.

Kind Regards
John

Stayed November 2013
3 Thank JohnD1986
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hello there and thanks for a particularly well timed five star review ! I'm delighted things went so well for you and your Mum, I firmly believe that we have a very strong product that is consistent in what it offers to our customers. The chef will be pleased that his Lasagne has got a rave review but in actual fact my own lasagne that I do at home is the best this side of the Runcorn Bridge. He begs me daily for my recipe but he's not getting it..... I need to have one over on him.
I hope Geoff doesn't see this review because he already thinks he's Peter Kay and this will only make matters worse....remember we see him week in week out !
It was nice chatting to you and I'm sure next time you visit we can chat some more....
Highland Perthshire is lovely all year round so whenever suits you.
Thanks again,