“Great weekend at the Hydro”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have read some of the reviews made by people who have stayed, some are excellent, some not so good. We have just had a 3 night stay to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We arrived about 1 pm but could not check into our room until 3 pm. I mentioned that we were here for our anniversary. When we returned at 3 pm we were advised that they had changed our previously allocated room to another one which had just been refurbished. They did not have any rooms available that we could upgrade to. But this was fine because at the time of booking we could have upgraded if we chose to. The room we had was nice enough with plenty of space in the wardrobe. Bathroom was of good enough size too.

We thought the food at this Shearings Hotel was the best we have actually had at a Shearings Hotel. I would agree with someone who said the sausages were not very meaty but contained a lot of bread. The bacon was full of flavour and the grilled tomatoes were lovely. Poached egg was done to perfection. I had the kippers on the other two mornings and they were delicious.

The staff in the dining room were lovely and friendly and we had some interesting chats with most of them. We had no problems at all getting a table. The dining room is very pleasant, nicely decorated and carpeted.

I went for a swim/sauna/jacuzzi and was quite impressed by each of them. I had forgotten my swimming costume so hunted one down in a charity shop! Was lucky enough to find one which was brand new for £5.

We cannot comment on the entertainment as we always went into the town to either The Old Mill or McKays where we met some nice people to chat to whilst enjoying the entertainment.

We would definitely stop at the Hydro again and hope to see some familiar faces in the restaurant again when we do.

It might be an idea to have a bell or something on the reception desk to attract the person who is manning reception - or remove the glass partition there so that the receptionist is aware that someone is needing attention at the desk.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scotemr
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hi and thanks for the review, I remember chatting to you and am glad you had a nice weekend celebrating your first anniversary. Thanks for your nice observations too regarding the staff, the quality of food and our leisure facility. We are very proud of our four star standing with trip advisor and when you scroll down you will see far more positives than negatives though it can be frustrating when potential customers remember the poorer reviews......the problem is I do it myself when I consider going to a particular place and I suppose it's the way of the world. It is our job to reduce those negatives to avoid such scenarios and as ever we will continue to work hard to achieve that goal.
Thanks again, your comments mean a lot.

There are newer reviews for The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at the Hydro Fri/Sun. The hotel is situated up a fairly steep hill and it is easier to walk into town than back to the hotel! Reception was very off hand as the staff conversed with each other rather than with us but thereafter service was first class. Our standard room was clean and comfortable. Food was good and the service excellent under the direction of a restaurant manager who was clearly an ex sergeant-major! Tip to SM--do not lecture hard working staff in front of residents.
Entertainment was varied over the three nights and was excellent. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello and thanks for taking the time to post a review. Perthshire is stunning and its a fantastic place to call home. Visitors are always impressed and it's somewhere you can come to at any time of the year. Thanks for saying we are are first class .....we try to be but we will have to watch our gossiping at the front desk.
Hope to see you again
Best Regards

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was my second visit to the Hydro, the previous one having been with my husband and friends. This time my sister and I stayed for 4 nights commencing 12th August. We arrived early at the hotel so had a stroll around the town before checking in. Our room was a good size and well maintained- it was not one of the refurbished ones, but when the accommodation was booked we were aware of the option to upgrade should we choose to do so. There is plenty of storage and wardrobe space in the room. The room is very spacious even with the table and chairs there which allowed us to enjoy an early morning cuppa! As to the food, breakfast was up to its usual high standard. We sampled the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and also kippers as a change to the standard full english breakfast, which was just too much for us on top of your yummy porridge. On my previous trip I had enjoyed the table d'hote menu and never felt the need to have the a la carte menu. This time I felt that the chef and his team had exceeded my expectations. The chef's specials were great - I loved the lamb casserole! It was obvious time and care had gone into planning the menus. Restaurant staff were friendly, polite, efficient and worked well as a team. I am astounded that personal attacks can be made about individuals who have no recourse to defend themselves. As someone who worked for many years in customer service, I always find that if you treat people the way you would like to be treated yourself, it pays dividends. A quick note about checkout- rooms do not have to be vacated by 10am - guests are requested to allow housekeeping staff access then.
As to the geriatrics and bus tours previously mentioned- not all guests staying are either on bus tours nor geriatric. My party included!!!
In this economic climate such tours are what keep many of our hotels open in a very competative market.
Chris - thanks again to you and all your team for a most enjoyable stay. Am planning my next trip soon.

2  Thank SsewandsewN
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hello and thanks for your kind words, the chefs will be pleased with your comments on their food. Thanks also for coming out in support of a couple of recent comments on here .... I just have to accept, whether I like it or not, that when you accommodate 900 bednights every week the occasional bad comment will come about. When I look at the business's on here who register five star review after five star review it is generally small operations that charge twice as much as us !!! So we dust ourselves down and get on with providing great value for money breaks for our 'mostly' adoring public !
Thanks, your comments mean a lot.
See you again at some point

Reviewed August 17, 2013

stayed a two night stay at Pitlochry Hyrdo Hotel . The hotel is clean , has the most comfortable beds ever, great food and a lovely swimming pool with hot tub. The pool was spotless and had good changing area . Situated at the top of a steep hill a five minute walk down to Pitlochry . Lovely views from hotels gardens .Dining area was well run and service if any complaint at all was a bit too fast ,. The menu was good and food good . Enjoyed my stay at this hotel .Entertainment was a man and guitar one of the evenings out of the two , and he sang from Dire Straits to Kenneth MacKeller so varied and ideal as the age group of the party was from 11 to Pension age so he did well. There is a selection of bars and shops in the small town itself and is so pretty. Lots of walks through the beautiful stunning scenery and alongside the fishery so make sure you take your camera . Queen's View at nearby Loch Tummel also worth a camera visit .

Room Tip: we were on 2nd floor and get a front facing room
2  Thank Jimva_8
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Hi, I agree, we are a lovely Hotel in a beautiful setting...of that there is no question. Thanks for pointing out that we have a nice leisure facilty that can be taken advantage of. I'm glad you thought the restaurant was well run too, thats an area that can go horribly wrong if you take your eye off the ball....we serve a lot of people here everyday.
Our relaxed style of entertainment suits most people we find and its nice that you have mentioned you enjoyed it.
Thanks again

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is an hotel bought by Shearings and thinly disguised under another name. It is designed for geriatric coach parties and is geared for the same. The rooms are neatly decorated but the beds are in desperate need of replacement, as is my back after one night. The utility furniture highlights the economies being made. The staff are "different". The restaurant manager has a dead rat on his head - which on closer inspection is a poor attempt at a Mohawk. Most restaurant staff mange to wear the semblance of a uniform with the exception of one who appears to think he is Eric Cantona!!!. The bar man on duty during our visit was like the baddie in a Bond movie - didn't smile, didn't speak - just scowled throughout the shift. Then we come to the food. Oh dear! We had to plead for the a la carte menu not the bus tour table d'hote. No steaks available, so we ordered duck and it certainly was ducked. It was meant to be "seared pink" - it was "baked" beyond recognition. The "crushed new potatoes" were almost raw and covered in mud. The carrots and broccoli had been cooking since the previous day. The sauce is best left unmentioned. Breakfast was another overwhelming assault on culinary excellence. Poached eggs like cannon balls and sausages which contain more cereal than meat, orange juice which had had only the briefest encounter with an orange. If you are under 60 or have a choice - go elsewhere!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Hi there, well first of all I am sorry you didn't like us one little bit, both the product and the people employed to deliver it. I firmly believe that we offer great value for money.....too many people tell me this for it not to be the case, however, on occasion I have to accept that we fall short of some customers expectations. Your feelings on our restaurant are slightly exaggerated for comic effect but I still take them on board and will assess the quality of product we are buying in.
Unwittingly you have provided three members of staff with new nicknames for a little while that may or may not stick. In the case of 'rat boy' he had just returned from his annual punk festival and had permission to sport his mohawk for a wee while as a bit of fun.
Seriously though, I listen to everything our customers tell me and constantly review every aspect of our operation and where I can, act upon them.
Again, my apologies for your trip not being a success.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My son and I arrived at the lovely looking Hydro and waited in the reception area for attendance for over ten minutes. There was a waiter in the bar area but he had no interest in us, a chef eventually came to chat to us but couldn't really help with checking in.
We were early for check-in (1.30pm), we knew this and were happy to go for lunch and a stroll around town. We were given our key and told that 2pm was the earliest we could go to our room, which was absolutely fine because I had understood when I booked it was 3pm.
When we arrived back at the Hydro at 2.50pm we took our bags to our room to find the beds unmade and other guests items in the room. I quickly closed the door and returned back to reception. I saw the manager (Diane) and told her what had happened, she took the key off me and went to speak to people in the lounge, these people were the people from the room I had been sent to, they had thought they had lost the key I assume. The manager didn't apologise for the mix up she just abruptly gave me a new room and didn't even make eye contact. We went to our new room to find it unmade, the house keeping staff were apologetic-I told them it wasn't their fault, it was the person who was allocating rooms so we went for a swim. After the unpleasantness of the changing area of the pool we found the actual pool great and clean, a member of staff came to find us to tell us our room was ready, he apologised-again I told him it wasn't his fault.
The room we were given was above either the kitchen, laundry or pool because the noise was unacceptable at 6am this morning, luckily my little boy had been up late so slept through, however, I didn't. The room was actually fine but the bathroom was rundown and the bath mat was pink with age, surely bathmats should be replaced as soon as they start to change colour?
Breakfast was served from 8am - 9.30am. We went down at 8.50am and we had to wait - along with 5 other sets of guests in the lounge, which is a beautiful area, beside a CD that jumped and started and stopped, a little thing but after all the other things it became very irritating. Perhaps if breakfast had a larger time scale the dining room wouldn't become so overcrowded???
After rushing breakfast to check out at 10am(far to early)I went to pay. Diane the manager was chatting to other guests and seemed very pleasant with them. I payed, I wasn't asked if I had enjoyed my stay, I wasn't asked if my room was ok even though there had been two mix-ups, she was however, friendly to my son. Perhaps she just didn't like the look of me!!! Or perhaps she didn't want to hear criticism because had she bothered to ask, that is what she would have got.
Overall very disappointed but mainly with the management, not the general staff or the hotel.

1  Thank Didilou33

Hello there, sorry it has taken a little while to respond but I have been away for a few days. Rather than go through the whole episode I just wanted to state that there was an error on our part that had a knock on effect all day with regards to more than one set of customers.....It doesn't happen often and considering how busy we get we generally manage that side of things very well.
I'm sorry you were disatisfied with how this was handled but I can promise you that if ever you were to open and manage a Hotel you would want someone like Diane by your side as she does a fantastic job day in day out and can handle all of the different scenarios that come her way. I think it was just the drama of a tricky check in day which left a poor first impression.
We always learn from instances like these and I'm sure it will be a long time until it happens again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 1 night stay after finding a good rate via booking.com. The hotel is set in a nice location with lovely views. There was ample parking for our car and check in was quick and smooth. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room was a very decent size, as others mentioned the room was dated but the bathroom was modern. We didn't use the communal lounge but we did use the leisure facilities. The pool facilities were good and the pool area was clean. It was quiet too which was a bonus.

We didn't eat in the hotel, we went to the mill inn instead which was excellent! We did have breakfast in the hotel which was fine, perfectly edible but we have had better. However all in all for what we paid we were pretty happy with our stay. We probably wouldn't stay here again unless we got another good deal however we had a nice time.

• Stayed: August 2013
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hello and thanks for posting the fact that you had a 'nice night away' and felt it was good value for money and the staff were nice and friendly....its very much appreciated.
Best Regards