“Tranquil Hotel with beutifull scenery”

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pitlochry
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Hotel away from the bustle of Pitlochry which gets very busy in summer, a bit of a climb uphill to the hotel but some parking available in town.
I would recommend paying for an upgraded bedroom, although our allocated bedroom was clean and nicely decorated our view was the slate roof above the pool.
All staff very friendly, breakfasts excellent setting you up for the day, dinner not quite up to same standard but quite acceptable.
An old hotel but very clean, addition of some outside seating would be an advantage when weather good.

Room Tip: Pay excess for upgraded room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hi there and thanks for the review. It would seem everything was in order and you enjoyed your wee break. Yes, we are a nice tranquil Hotel (most of the time !) and I am glad you picked up on that as we try to give our customers a nice hassle free stay.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Hotel in good location away from main roads so no traffic noise, views as always in Scotland, wonderful. Good area to stay, so much to see and do with lots of places to visit within an easy travelling range for days out. Staff were very nice, helpful and cheerful at mealtimes, food was OK, not sensational but you won't starve or have to supplement it with visits to takeaways, just plain food, hot and sufficient portions served promptly. Housekeeping do a good job too, bathroom was very clean. Downsides, well the room we were in was very dated, not like the photos of rooms on the website, you need to upgrade to get those, just as well the weather was good and we didn't need to watch much TV as it was the size of a postage stamp in such a large room, if you are staying for more than two or three days wardrobe/storage space could be an issue. The bathroom was also dated although clean, there is only one small shelf to put things on and the shower curtain never quite managed to contain the water at the tap side of the corner bath, which resulted in a small pond around the sink. Peeling paint on the bathroom walls was a bit of a let down too. The bed was a bit hard and the pillows very poor, had to ask for extra pillows so that I could select the best from four!! The bedcover lining also had a large hole in it. As I said the rooms would really benefit from a revamp. There is a pool at the hotel, but didn't have time to visit it as there was so many other things to do in the area, don't believe there was a spa, could have done with a neck massage after 3 nights on the cheap very thin pillows. Would go back to the hotel but would upgrade the room next time. Be prepared to wait for the lift too, there are only two floors, but it is very slow.

Room Tip: Upgrade from standard room, views are good from any room I would think, due to location, can't m...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Hi, thanks for taking the time to post a four star review.....fours and fives are where we want to be. Yes, you are right......our standard rooms are nice and clean but nevertheless standard and there are options to secure a more modern standard of room that has a little more space and great views at a reasonable supplement charge.
As ever we are all thrilled that you mention our friendliness and we hope to welcome you back here at a leter date.
Thanks again and best regards

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel, super service, great food and value for money. The hotel staff are very friendly and make you feel very welcome. The facilities are of a good standard and well set out. The food is great and service second to none.

The decor is dated and could do with an update, but is clean and acceptable. the pool is very clean and well laid out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hello there and what a great review. We are all delighted that you had such a nice time and have acknowledged all the qualities that we try very hard to have firmly in place. Consistency is very important and whilst we have our 'moments' generally I think we can be relied upon to give our customers a lovely break in a well appointed Hotel.
Your comments help enormously in making my job that little bit easier to motivate everyone around me....including myself.
Thanks again and hopefully see you again.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Traveled by car to Scotland stayed at 1 Travelodge going up stayed 4 nights at Pitlochry Spa Hotel nice large rooms, but not enough wardrobe space, comfy bathroom very large, shower had no power but lots of rails so you can use bath. Food good and service staff very friendly. Hotel high on hill so if walking back from town steep hill to climb. As along way to travel moved on to another Sheering hotel at Dornoch for 3 nights and 2 more T/lodges on way back 1900 miles in all

Room Tip: rooms with view cost a little more and as we are only in them to sleep it is not worth paying for th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Hi, delighted to have been awarded a five star review from you and I am pleased everything was to your satisfaction. I'm afraid I can't do much about the hill but it does get easier. Some local ladies of a certain age put people half their age to shame by bounding up there everyday....I suppose if its what you have always done it's simply part of your routine.
On the plus side the trek up gives you an appetite.
Thanks so much for the review, the place buzz'es when four and five star reviews come in.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

just arrived back from 3 nights at the great pitlochry hotel all the staff were friendly and helpful nothing was to much trouble. food -everything was first class cooked and served well - hubby says i'm fussy so that says it all. leisure facilities were excellent. location was good away from the bussle of the town but not to far to walk into town. only a few wee things for management to perhaps look at ------we were in room 116 and looking out the window the gutters needed cleaning. the bathroom window is clear glass and all could see you sitting on the loo and getting up of it but it is a shame to have to keep the blind down all day and keep the rare sunshine out . a solution would be to put an etched sticky layer onto the glass which is easily applied. the information booklet in the room had the wrong code for the leisure facilities these should be updated on a regular basis.
it is a great hotel for the price dont let anyone tell you any different will be back

Room Tip: room 116 has a good view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Hello there and thanks for a lovely review,
One staff member has just come and told me...in fact demanded !!! that I log on to trip advisor and see that the staff have been mentioned yet again and that they all want a pay rise !!!!!!
Well, I'm a very proud Manager because the staff here make such an effort to give our customers a nice break and the vast majority let me know about this, some of whom come on here and say nice things, which is very much the future for all service businesses.
Room folders are 'mid change over' and will be up to date and completed by this weekend and there is a man up a ladder as I speak.
Finally, I nearly dropped my bacon sandwich when I read that there was a lady out there somewhere who was 'fussy' ......surely not !! In all my years as a Hotel Manager I have never heard of such things nor witnessed them. My whole team here are amazed as they too know nothing about such things.......
Seriously though, thanks a million...comments like this really do encourage the team to deliver the service we are renowned for consistently.
See you again and the best of regards

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed here with my sister-in-law for the Etape Caledonia. The location is great for the event as it's close to the Town Centre.The hotel was also very accommodating in terms of allowing bikes in the rooms.

I'd agree with other comments that the rooms are a little dated but acceptable and comfortable. There were a couple of cleanliness issues, eg quite a lot of food spots on the wallpaper next to our table at breakfast one morning and areas in the bathrooms that need a spring clean. It was generally OK though.

Service is also a little "dated". The staff in the restaurant are friendly but because they are so scripted, it's lacking in a bit of character. Also, seating people at tables next to each other rather than spreading them around the dining room and then hovering meant that we felt a little rushed rather than relaxed. We had to ask for the waiter to give us 10 minutes after he'd come back twice to ask about dessert even though we'd said we wanted to wait.

One point around service. We were asked if we'd like a newspaper in the morning when we checked in and I said Yes. The next afternoon I went down to reception to say that I hadn't got my paper and was told that I should have gone down to reception to get this, but in a way that implied that of course I should have known this. Well, every hotel I've stayed in anywhere else in the world from Premier Inns upwards have delivered this to your room, ie left it outside your room either in a bag on the door handle or on the floor. Now, I wouldn't have minded going down to Reception to collect it, but it might have been an idea to tell me that I needed to do that. On top of that I was then told that I couldn't get the cost of the paper put on to my bill but that I would have to pay cash for it (at the time I didn't have my wallet on me) - huh? you're a hotel, you're charging me for extra food and drink already, what's the big deal - and what about Service? Similarly, we asked for a number for a restaurant in the town. Most reception staff would probably think to ask if we'd like them to make a reservation for us, but not here - in fact the lady behind reception actually forgot to get the number for us and we had to ask again for it. Small things, maybe, but they just lowered my opinion of the place in terms of Service.

Food quality is OK, but could be better - the scrambled egg that we had for breakfast was dry and crumbly, for example. We ate off the A la Carte menu as well as the Table d'Hote menu, again OK but if you're looking for a gourmet experience, there are better places in the town. To be fair, it's not trying to be fancy however.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to post your comments. In the previous review I conceded that the Etape weekend is unique and outwith our usual comfort zone and I think all things considered we adapted very well and handled the demands of a very different customer. The minor criticisms will be looked at though some, like the payment of newspapers, cannot be changed as the Paper Shop collect their cash everyday.
Remember, we do have more modern rooms at a higher tariff than standard rooms but looking at some of the rates other Hotels were charging for Etape weekend I know that our product represents fantastic value.
Hopefully you will try us again next year...... even though we are a three star establishment we try very hard to deliver a four star service.
Best Regards and congratulations on finishing the race.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at the Hydro for two nights when I was taking part in the Etape Caledonia. As other guest have stated the rooms are a little dated but clean and perfectly acceptable. The bed was comfortable but were woken during the night by a car alarm going off (which we were later told had done the same the night before) while not the fault of hotel I think they should have made the owner move it to the side car park away from hotel as on our last night I kept thinking it was going to go off again. We were on a half board deal and found the menu and food ok, tasty enough dishes but nothing outstanding and possibly a couple more choices would have been nice but you do have the option of having things off the A' la carte menu (at extra cost). The bar area is very nice and comfortable with nice seating to relax on. Staff on reception were excellent, the restaurant staff were very polite and attentive but as is very common in Uk these day a few language problems occurred. As i was cycling I had my bike with me, it was great that staff allowed me take it into to room to keep it safe.
Don't expect it to be 5 star as this is a hotel for bus tours and special deals but we had a super stay and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Front facing room was worth extra
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Hello, and thanks for a nice review. First of all congratulations for completing the Etape..... thats some achievement ! Our Hotel operates outwith our normal comfort zone for the Etape Weekend and we have worked hard to try and fall in line with the demands and requirements from a very different group of customers. I think we are just about there with how we operate but more consideration will be given to next years event to make it even better.
The staff enjoyed the atmosphere you guys brought with you and the challenge of keeping everyone happy and in the right frame of mind to tackle the race on the day. We spoke to the car alarm culprit more than once and were assured it wouldn't happen the following night !!! Mmmm !
Hopefully you will consider us again next year and your views will form part of my next meeting with the team when we talk about the weekend and how we intend to go forward with what we offer.