“Bliss!”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Pitlochry
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Bliss!”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and were instantly overwhelmed by the scenery and setting. The hotel itself is beautiful and impeccably decorated. The welcome was warm and professional. The service from all staff was outstanding. We frequently visit gleneagles and the hotel is like a miniature version. The wine selection in the bar was vast and was complimented perfectly by the view. We really couldn't fault the hotel. We look forward to returning when the spa is completed.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

A fantastic overnight stay which fully lived up to all our expectations. We arrived in the midst of a small rain shower only to be met at the car by staff with umbrellas. Throughout our stay the team at Fonab were welcoming, professional and could not have been more helpful. Fonab Castle truly lives up to its claim to be a hotel with all the modern touches whilst ensuring a traditional experience. Our castle room was gorgeous - spacious, lots of luxury touches and I would completely agree with other reviews that this was the best bed I have ever spent the night in. Like wise the evening meal we enjoyed was delicious as was the breakfast in bed we tucked into the next day. Overall, a great visit, a little pricey but as a real treat it was worth every penny. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Castle rooms with a Loch View - although all are/look lovely
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

stayed one night in one of the rooms with a balcony with loch views which was great for sitting out with a glass of wine and watching the sun disappear. The welcoming committee that greeted us the minute we pulled into the car park was almost overwhelming but the room was outstanding with lots of little extras. Dinner in the bistro was fine and the food at breakfast was very good but the service was unfortunately very dis-jointed with us having to ask for tea and toast twice and our starter eventually being served with our full breakfast but overall a good experience

Room Tip: Rooms with a loch view are an essential
Moray, Scotland
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

The highlight of my stay at the Fonab was the enthusiasm of the staff. It's difficult to describe, but I'll try! It's like they are trying really, really hard to ensure you have a great experience and when it's not perfect, you forgive them, as you can see how hard they are trying. There's a quirkiness and informality which I really enjoyed.

The rooms have all been recently furnished and are of a very high standard. They compare well with the best 5 star hotels Scotland has to offer. I thought the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

We had dinner in the brasserie which offered a wide variety of well cooked, good quality options. Food and wine came to around £50 each. There's also a gourmet menu in Sandeman's restaurant at £100 for food and wine which we did not try on this occasion.

Breakfast was gorgeous.

The hotel sits in a beautiful location beside the loch with stunning views. There are paths leading from the hotel that can take you into town or into the countryside.

Overall - a great experience that I can't recommend highly enough.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Boondoggler
scotland
Reviewed July 12, 2014

have stayed here on two separate occasions since its opening. Both times we stayed in the suites with living room, balcony (two actually), bed room and two bath rooms. Think it was called a woodland suite, I might be wrong. Overall I think it is a very nice hotel and a welcome addition to Pitlochry. Felt like a secluded escape, close to the bustle (haha) of Pitlochry.

The grounds are wonderful and although it is just off the A9 it feels secluded. The views over the loch and the mountain are very nice and the hotels boast of the best view in pitlochry is a true one. I really liked the view from the main hotel bar and also from the restaurant. Its a shame the room I mentioned has views to the front as they are nice, but not as nice.

Service is friendly and attentive without feeling overbearing. We tried this place as an alternative to Cameron house at loch Lomond and found the service to be much superior here. It is a much smaller property and that perhaps helps keep the more personal touch. On our visits the spa was still being built, which was not a problem. I did get impression the place would be even better when finally finished.

Food was great. Had dinner in restaurant twice (steak both times- fantastic) and breakfast (once in room and once in restaurant) which were very tasty.

My only moan (if I have to find one) is its a bit strange having two bathrooms with showers in both and no bath. Im sure there is room and maybe hotel should have thought more about that one. A fridge in room would also be good. It was not overly warm on our visits, could not see any sign or air con which could be an issue if it was hot. I realise this does not happen often but for a 5 star hotel I would expect air con as standard.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coconut-monkey09
Perth
Reviewed July 11, 2014

The view here is absolutely stunning ... I could drink it in all day. I visited with my friend who is in a wheelchair. Unfortunately we couldn't go down the steps to the terrace overlooking the loch. Did have a bite to eat though and the food was lovely. Also the staff could not have been more helpful. I would definitely recommend this venue, particularly for the fabulous setting. The only wee comment I have to the contrary, is that the speed bumps are too high. Even at zero miles per hour they really jolt the vehicle and people inside. Not pleasant!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dundee
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I had a brilliant time at Fonab Castle recently. I took my girlfriend of 3 years away for an anniversary surprise. About a month before hand I had visited the venue and spoke with a member of staff called Megan Winton. I explained that I something big planned for the night and Megan was more than happy to help (and very excited too!) She took the time to show me round the restaurant, various rooms, the grounds and finally the Penthouse Suit. As soon as I saw the room I was sold! I had to have it for my special occasion. I booked immediately and the date was set ... the waiting had begun. Finally the 4th July came round and my girlfriend and I entered the reception to find the staff waiting with smiles form ear to ear. We checked in, the concierge took our bags and led us to our room . "And where are you staying tonight sir?" .... "The Penthouse" I said proudly... by this point my girlfriend could barely contain her excitement. After we had kindly been shown to our room I sat down with my girlfriend at the bay window of the Penthouse looking out onto Loch Faskally and asked her to marry me - the answer was YES! Moments later the room service arrived and we enjoyed the first hours of our engagement with some delicious afternoon tea washed down with champagne.

Over dinner the staff were attentive and helpful, expressing an in-depth knowledge of the menu and the wine list. The food was prepared perfectly and each course arrived just at the right time. After our food my fiancé and I headed out to the decking looking over the Loch and enjoyed a few more drinks as the sun went down. After a while a waiter came out with a blanket for my girlfriend, just in case!

In the morning we were treated to a 3 course breakfast with everything from Fruit to Haggis - and the selection of fresh juices was exactly what the doctor ordered after a night of celebration.

I can't thank the staff enough for an amazing experience, my special thanks go out to Megan Winton - without her help the proposal would not have been as special.

We will be returning next year to celebrate our anniversary and the venue is very high on our short list for our wedding in 2016

Room Tip: If you can get a room Loch facing you will not be disppointed.
5 Thank MrJhons