“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We stopped off for an evening meal during the week. With such a prime location it's no wonder they are so popular, view over the loch on a sunny day with a drink in hand, bliss!! The menu had lots of good choices making it rather difficult to decide. Although the menu looks massive it does include a few pages of cocktail and wine list so don't be scared. Meals were delicious. Scallops with black pudding bonbon and fish cakes to start. Venison loin and chicken Kiev for mains. All were beautifully presented and cooked to perfection! One down side, they serve triple cooked chips with steak but skinny fries (frozen?) with the chicken, why go cheap, just go good!! Deserts were lovely although we couldn't finish them and the homemade ice creams are lovely! You can tell the chefs are passionate about the food but please don't spoil it with fries

FonabCastleHotel, General Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for your comments we really appreciate you taking the time to share them.

We are delighted that you chose to stop off at Fonab Castle and enjoy a meal in our brasserie with its stunning views over Loch Faskally.

You made reference to us serving two types of 'chips' - both triple cooked and the skinny fries. We do this to offer the choice to our customers and should you wish to substitute one for the other then we have no problem with that. The reason we offer both is that our customers asked us for the choice - 'one man's preference ....' as they say.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fonab castle in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My friend had been here with the girls the previous week and recommended it. Lovely views. We sat in the upstairs lounge. Service was excellent. Friends had soup and houmous. I had the fish cakes with mushy peas and French fries. Also platter of bread rolls. All delicious. Coffee to finish. We were not rushed. It was very relaxing. Would make an excellent venue for a wedding. I wish I lived nearer so I could return.

FonabCastleHotel, General Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts following on from your recent trip to our Hotel.

We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to our Lounge and enjoyed your meal off of The Lounge menu.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am staying in the Fonab Castle Hotel just now checked in on Friday 7th March I can honestly say this hotel is fantastic the staff are brilliant the only thing I would like them to look at is we have brought our 2 dogs who are really well behaved but once we arrived there is a visitors book that states dogs cannot be left in the room on their own which I can understand if you were trying to leave the premises but if you are only trying to nip up for breakfast I cannot see the problem the restaurant looks great but unfortunately we are confined to our room and having to order room service I am starting to feel as if I have cabin fever but in the nicest possible way.

FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Good morning!

Thank you for leaving a review. Great to see that you are enjoying Fonab.

To touch on the dogs in the room, we ask this because on our first week of opening we allowed this to happen and a dog chewed through a desk. I completely understand that your two wee Pugs were well behaved however it's now hotel policy for dogs to now be accompanied at all times when in the bed rooms. I wish i'd have known or id have taken them for a walk while you had breakfast, they looked like right wee cheeky chappies! We will of course, on a more serious note, re-look at this and i thank you again for your comments.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We visited the Brasserie for lunch on an off the cuff decision. We were welcomed by a very polite concierge, Alan, who showed us through and were then given the option of where to sit, we sat by the window and admired the stunning views over the loch! Lunch was amazing I opted for brioche with mushrooms and my friend had the soup and bread board all of which was superb and made to an exceptionally high standard. The waiting staff, Ed and Laura, were extremely pleasant but not intrusive like some places can be! Well done fonab hotel staff and food are all a credit to you, can't wait to come back.

Good afternoon.

Thank you for the wonderful review of our Brasserie. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Fonab and the service provided.

I have no doubt that we'll see you again in the near future

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Every single negative comment from Ian P we would turn into a positive. This was a wonderful restuarant with staff who simply could not have been more helpful from the owner to the concierge who, in taking us from our hotel, told us the background to this absolutely fabulous location. The receptionist was there to open the door for us, the staff were superb, knowledgeable and helpful going out of their way to ensure that everything was at it should be. They had a sense of pride in their role and so it should be since the location is breathtaking and the food simply could not be bettered. Total luxury at realistic prices. The lounge was awesome with simply beautiful furnishings and a magnificent view. This is a place who care about good food and excellent service....better than many a five star hotel

FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Good afternoon.

I would like to thank you for your very positive review of Fonab Castle Hotel. I am extremely pleased to see that you as a guest could see that we are proud of our hotel, food and staff and this shines through in every single employee. We work tirelessly to ensure every guest has a wonderful experience, which by the sounds of it you have.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Deputy General Manager.