“Asset to Pitlochry”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Pitlochry, United Kingdom
“Asset to Pitlochry”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My wife and I had an absolutely excellent meal here. Staff was friendly and food was excellent! Thumbs up for Chef and Restaurant Management. Keep up the good work. We WILL be back...too many delights on the menu we couldn't try at once!!

• Visited February 2014
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Hello!!

Thank you very much for the kind comments. We are really pleased that you enjoyed you visit to Fonab Castle and I shall pass these comments onto the rest of the team!

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Best regards

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
edinburgh
“Amazing chips!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We ate in the Brasserie while staying in the fabulous hotel. Our meal was great, lots of choices and very reasonably priced. I had the pork belly then venison which were both to die for, wonderfully cooked and tasted amazing. I am a huge cheese fan and had the cheeseboard, only downside I couldn't finish it! My husband choose the scallops with box k pudding and then fillet steak. According to him the chips were the best he's ever had she he's sampled a lot!!! He finished off with some delicious sticky toffee pud! A large wine list is available too. We would recommend the brasserie to anyone staying in the hotel or the local area. Great service and food, what else can you ask for?!?!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank louwhitehead
Good Evening!!

Wow what an amazing review. It's great to see that you enjoyed all of your menu choices and that the chips were up to scratch - Chef will be pleased!! I'm also pleased that the team looked after you.

We look forward to your next visit!

Pitlochry, United Kingdom
“Should be on your 'Must Eat At' list”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have lunched here a few times and took my mother there for her 80th and my brother who flew in from Hong Kong. The staff are very cheery, helpful and friendly and admit freely when they don't know something. It is unpretentious with a fabulous view over Loch Faskally. The building itself was used as Hydro Electric control offices and has been converted into a first class hotel and eatery.

The brasserie food is exceptional, and yet well priced. There is an impressive good value drinks menu but you can blow the budget on a 400 quid whisky if you are really celebrating!

They also offer to pick you up and take you back if you 2 miles around the hotel, which is a pretty good offer.

Overall it is the best place to eat in Pitlochry (which is not short of restaurants and hotels) and I can suggest it as a great stop off when on the A9 north of Perth or when visiting the popular town of Pitlochry in Highland Perthshire.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank SeaAdventurer2014
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Hello!

Thank you for the cracking review. It's really great to see that you enjoyed your visit to Fonab Brasserie.

The staff are themselves and completely unpretentious which makes a huge difference to the atmosphere in the Brasserie. It's great to see that you think our pricing and quality of food is good and i am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your visit.

We look forward to seeing you again here at Fonab.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Lovely Local Food”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

I was recently treated to dinner here by clients.
I decided to try local salmon and venison , both were excellent as was the wine.
Service was welcoming and friendly.
All in all a very pleasant evening.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Tony M
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Good morning!!

Thank you for the review. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your visit to the Brasserie and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Deputy General Manager
“Pleasant lunch, wonderful views”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Having been brought up in Pitlochry returned to take a relative for lunch. Particularly poignant for him as he worked in the Castle for 30 years when owned by Hydro Electric Board and was enthused to see its development and managed some reminiscing as well.

To the detail, good menu choice which was possibly my downfall. Retrospectively felt I ordered wrong dish. Both had soufflé starter which was light and tasty. I had the loin of venison which was good but not exceptional and felt the overall portion size for price was a bit disappointing. In contrast the Asian monkfish dish was outstanding......my error....wish I'd had this....really hit mark.

As designated driver, was restricted to one glass of wine when could have easily enjoyed the ambience of venue with a bottle or two. Felt the prices for glasses on high side but wasn't completely surprised.

The service throughout was pleasant and attentive.

Not sure if as a new venue any fixed price menus been considered but would potentially be a fair alternative. Will be interesting to see price ranges once Sandemans fine dining opens as for Brasserie with most mains between £15 and £22 and steaks higher and burger £13 other than keeping riff raff away may prove to pricey to get any repeat local clientele....maybe that's the agenda?

As an Edinburgh resident that visits area regularly I will return and would recommend for special occasions but not for a cheap lunch.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Redrab1980
FonabCastleHotel, Manager at Fonab Castle Hotel Brasserie, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Good afternoon!!

Thank you for leaving a wonder review on our page. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Fonab and the overall experience in the brasserie.

I would like to point out that as a company, we have neither an agenda or do we "try to keep the riff raff away." We welcome, look after and treat everyone in the same manor here at Fonab Castle.

Our pricing is based upon the local area and the surrounding restaurants. Our prices are by far not the most expensive and the pricing also reflects the fresh, locally sourced produce and preparation that goes into every single dish - we buy nothing in readily made. The wine is all mid range for the brasserie and again based upon prices for the local area and yet again we are not the most expensive.

We have Sandemans Fine Dining opening in February, which will have a menu Degustation as well as a table d'hote menu. The Brasserie has a table d'hote menu every Sunday for lunch. Personally we feel that the Brasserie a la carte menu works better as it gives you more choice as a customer. This is the general feedback that we receive.

We look forward to seeing you again on your return to Pitlochry